Iberia Expired My Avios After 4 Months

Old Jun 21, 19, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Iberia Expired My Avios After 4 Months

Ok, here's what happened.

I had 400 Avios in my Iberia account hanging out for 2 years 11 months. I transferred 11,500 points from Chase to British Airways 4 months ago, then noticed that Iberia had lower taxes on some flights I was thinking about, so I transferred the 11,500 points from BA to to Iberia. Because I had not taken a flight on Iberia for 3 years, they canceled all 11,900 miles, not just the 400 miles that were actually 3 years old.

I have called like 8 times, spoken with supervisors, written 10 emails, and they don't care, they are not returning the miles. They say transfers do not count as new activity and after 3 years of no activity all miles expire. I had no other Avios besides the 400 in my Iberia account, and the 11,500 I had transferred from Chase to BA, then to Iberia. The 11,500 points were transferred to BA 4 months ago. It's cut and dry and I sent them screen shots of the transactions.

I am wondering if you guys have any resources that can help out. I can take them to small claims but that's really annoying.

Thanks.

-Jon
Old Jun 21, 19, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonmichaellombardini View Post
I had 400 Avios in my Iberia account hanging out for 2 years 11 months. I transferred 11,500 points from Chase to British Airways 4 months ago, then noticed that Iberia had lower taxes on some flights I was thinking about, so I transferred the 11,500 points from BA to to Iberia. Because I had not taken a flight on Iberia for 3 years, they canceled all 11,900 miles, not just the 400 miles that were actually 3 years old.

I have called like 8 times, spoken with supervisors, written 10 emails, and they don't care, they are not returning the miles. They say transfers do not count as new activity and after 3 years of no activity all miles expire. I had no other Avios besides the 400 in my Iberia account, and the 11,500 I had transferred from Chase to BA, then to Iberia. The 11,500 points were transferred to BA 4 months ago. It's cut and dry and I sent them screen shots of the transactions.

I am wondering if you guys have any resources that can help out. I can take them to small claims but that's really annoying.
You have answered the question:- "They say transfers do not count as new activity and after 3 years of no activity all miles expire."
There are t&c's as to what is eligible activity and what is not. Many ffp's have similar rules. People need to read & understand the rules.

Do you have anything other like a hotel, car rental, flight, etc, that is an IB avios partner, that could be retro claimed? [Not already credited to another loyalty program]

Taking to a court or what ever will just cost you more (wasted) money

Real taxes are the same for all airlines flying the same route/class of travel.
Carrier award surcharges (~100% airline profit) can vary. A carrier surcharge can trigger other taxes

Better luck next time

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 21, 19 at 3:00 pm
Old Jun 21, 19, 6:16 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by jonmichaellombardini View Post
. They say transfers do not count as new activity and after 3 years of no activity all miles expire.
I am afraid that's the rule in the programme.
Old Jun 21, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If you had come to Flyertalk earlier, we would have been able to tell you that transfers from BA do not count as new activity and that you would lose your Avios.

Tough lesson, but the rules are quite clear. You might want to stop wasting time and money.