Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Why Is Iberia's Online Reservation System So Lame?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond

First, you are asked to sign in for Iberia Plus. You do that, you are greeted by name with your Avios total, but then later in the booking process they ask you if you are a member of IB Plus. If so, please enter number and PIN. I tried to book two “Optimum” tickets MAD – JFK – MAD. You fill out everything and when you go to reserve your seat, the payment option comes up -- €20, €33 or more. Ditto one piece of luggage in the hold. Both are included in Optimum price, but you are charged again at checkout. As a workaround, I tried to book the cheapest fare and then add on seat and luggage, but that didn’t work either. And don’t get me started on the “An Error Has Occurred” message. Over and over.

So what to do but wait until the Iberia IT geniuses fix the latest glitches. But meanwhile, prices rise? All suggestions gratefully accepted!! (Except “Please contact your local Iberia office…”)

Last edited by spainflyer; Apr 18, 2019 at 11:48 am Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:24 pm

With the Optima fare without status you only get free seat selection 24 h before the departure in those flights. For example:

[Edited to resize a very big screen capture]
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:35 pm

Similarly, if I click through (I have just written a made up passenger name and not logged in), it says that I have one checked bag, but offers me the opportunity to buy extra.

If this does not match your experience, could you upload similar screenshots, so we can see the problem?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks so much, Yllanes. Very clear. So I can book my seat (without additional charge beyond the fare) with Optima, but only 24 hours before flight? What I am being offered online is the chance to book the seat(s) now, but paying for them. And the bag charge is for additional bags beyond the one included in the Optima fare. Clear now, many thanks.

Do you know: If I choose the cheapest fare – I think it is called Basic – can seats be booked now, at time of purchase, for the extra charge? And is the charge for seat selection now (at time of purchase) the same with Optima as with Basic? That is, with Basic would the same seating options pop up at the same prices -- €20, €33, etc.?

And, if I book Basic for a family of 4, but don’t pay extra for seat selection now (assuming that is permitted), what are the chances of getting seated together when getting seat assignment at the airport (flight is August 17th – high season)? In the past the agent at the check-in desk has told me that “the system” assigns your seat at check in and that she cannot control assignment.

Any further information you, or others, can provide would be very helpful. Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Thanks so much, Yllanes. Very clear. So I can book my seat (without additional charge beyond the fare) with Optima, but only 24 hours before flight? What I am being offered online is the chance to book the seat(s) now, but paying for them. And the bag charge is for additional bags beyond the one included in the Optima fare. Clear now, many thanks.
Yes to both.

Do you know: If I choose the cheapest fare – I think it is called Basic – can seats be booked now, at time of purchase, for the extra charge? And is the charge for seat selection now (at time of purchase) the same with Optima as with Basic? That is, with Basic would the same seating options pop up at the same prices -- €20, €33, etc.?
I don't know. For those of us with status, seat selection is free (including exit rows) even with Basic, so I do not have previous experience. But I guess you can just do a dummy booking and take it until seat selection to find the prices.

If you get Optima, I don't believe paying for seat selection is worth it. You will probably get decent options at the 24 h point and will be seated together. I do not think you can count on being together if you book Basic, though.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Yllanes. And at 11 pm in SFO (or maybe you are in Madrid?)! I think I was able to answer my own questions with a dummy booking. On Basic fare: IB lets you choose seat at time of booking for between €20 (middle seats) and €78 (extra legroom). Most seats are €33. Then, you can include one bag for €45. So, if you choose the cheapest seat and one bag, you are paying €65 for what you would get with Optima for €40. But you get to choose your seat now. Thanks!
Yllanes likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The website is definitely one of the worst. I try putting my AA number during booking process except they put a check that required all numbers only. AA numbers can contain letters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.