FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why Is Iberia's Online Reservation System So Lame?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:05 am
Yllanes

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Thanks so much, Yllanes. Very clear. So I can book my seat (without additional charge beyond the fare) with Optima, but only 24 hours before flight? What I am being offered online is the chance to book the seat(s) now, but paying for them. And the bag charge is for additional bags beyond the one included in the Optima fare. Clear now, many thanks.
Yes to both.

Do you know: If I choose the cheapest fare – I think it is called Basic – can seats be booked now, at time of purchase, for the extra charge? And is the charge for seat selection now (at time of purchase) the same with Optima as with Basic? That is, with Basic would the same seating options pop up at the same prices -- €20, €33, etc.?
I don't know. For those of us with status, seat selection is free (including exit rows) even with Basic, so I do not have previous experience. But I guess you can just do a dummy booking and take it until seat selection to find the prices.

If you get Optima, I don't believe paying for seat selection is worth it. You will probably get decent options at the 24 h point and will be seated together. I do not think you can count on being together if you book Basic, though.