Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB to drop JNB from end August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by Traveller91
For the same dates with BA option, is the class of travel also the same? And do you have to start and finish with the same departure and arrival airports? Thanks.
Same dates, same class, same origin, same destination.

If you want to change origin/destination, they are not allowing it - in that case they'll suggest refund and book again.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Very reasonable of them.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by tobsw
I can tell you what IB is offering:
  • Full refund, or
  • Fly IB on an earlier opportunity (before 1st September), or
  • Same dates but with BA.
Have had an email saying my booking has been cancelled. Not offered anything else :-(

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Apr 10, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Have had an email saying my booking has been cancelled. Not offered anything else :-(
Have you called back and requested? Remember HUCA.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Over the phone, I’ve succeeded in getting my return IB Avios redemption flights in Business changed for free onto BA, booked into “I” class.

I was able to choose exactly which BA flights I wanted, citing flight numbers, and moved over without hesitation. No questions asked.

Just ask for the BA flights you want, on the same date and same route. Nothing else is allowed.

Ended up with 747 upper deck (by choice) in Row 62. Acceptable outcome.

(IB Avios redemption at just 85,000 Avios return was originally MUCH cheaper than BA would have been for the route I’m on JNB-LHR-MAD-LHR-JNB, so I’m very happy.)
tobsw and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Your bet for a nice rerouting is good agent and status can definitely help. My bets are on BA. As Emerald try to HUCA for QR
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter
Your bet for a nice rerouting is good agent and status can definitely help. My bets are on BA. As Emerald try to HUCA for QR
Rules are clear. Only re-routing on BA.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The rebooking policy is posted on Iberia Agencias:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Flexibilizacion de Tarifas .pdf (327.7 KB, 53 views)
blindman and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by BA6501
The rebooking policy is posted on Iberia Agencias:
Thanks for this.

Rang last night and changed the last week in Sept booking to 1st Sept with no issues, nor any extra Avios (original booking was Off peak, new booking is Peak).

Sorted.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I was told IB pulled out of LAD to fee up an aircraft to start the JNB route.

But IB did this just as DT started to professionalise under EK management and IB simply couldn't compete with DT who flew B773 with just 9 across in Y at dirt cheap prices.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Had no trouble at all changing even though I was on an Iberia Avios redemption. Respect to Iberia on this one. They made it nice and simple.

Its worked out rather nicely for me. Based in London.

Had MAD-JNB-MAD

Now have MAD-LHR-JNB / JNB-LHR / LGW-MAD.

With new Spanish law (late 2018) if you miss the first leg (MAD-LHR) then the remainder of your itinerary must stay intact. So I really hope something doesn't come up to make me sadly miss my MAD-LHR flight ;-(
Then on the way back having collected my bags at Heathrow I am bound to accidentally miss my onward flight out of Gatwick to Madrid ;-(

A great outcome for me when I expected the worst. Hats off to Iberia for doing the right thing and making it so easy to change. I hope everyone else has such a straight-forward experience.

Not a bad use of 85k (& £157 tax) of the 90k Avios I earnt / bought (!!) in the very reasonable and hopefully soon to be repeated 'Buy But Don't Fly' Iberia promotion last year.
Goes to show how ridiculous BA's Avios prices are and how offensive the surcharges are (BA want almost 4x the taxes & charges !! and 150,000 Avios !! LHR-JNB-LHR)

I hope that everyone can get sorted out easily.

(As an aside, trying to use just 85K Avios for the route on BA according to the BA Avios spend calculator a flight LHR-JNB can be bought for 42k Avios and £1018 and a flight JNB-LHR can be bought for 42k Avios and £858 so in total 84k Avios plus £1876........Not much of a bargain compared to Iberia's 85K + £157 (No, there's not an extra zero missing there) !!
NOTE: although that is comparing two one-way Avios redemptions on BA rather than a simple return, can't be bothered looking that up - or is it the same ??)

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; Apr 16, 2019 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I really wouldn't mess around with skipping the MAD-LHR - law or no law - unless you have both a lot of time on your hands and willing to (temporarily?) fork out thousands to get to JNB / forfeit the trip.

I don't think we've had any reports of someone trying this new law with IB let alone applying it to BA...
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:27 pm

Yes, it seems like a very bad idea to skip the MAD-LHR flight...
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:36 pm

Has anyone skipped a flight from Spain / Italy to test this out ?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
There is no obligation to re-route on another carrier more than two weeks out. So if an airline drops a route entirely, EC261 only guarantees a refund.
Seriously, what have you been .... ?

EC261/2004 is in place now for almost 15 years?

How often do I have to repeat that line.
The 14 day period of notice only applies to article 7 compensation.
There is no period of notice for article 8 rights. Article 8 covers the rebooking and refund part.
The airline cannot unitarily walk back from the transport contract. That is one of the major consumer safeguards in the regulation. Even if a route is suspended (and the airport is served by other airlines) it has to rebook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.