IB to drop JNB from end August

Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
IB to drop JNB from end August

Looks like the last JNB flight will be 31 August. A pity as it was the only other Europe - SA flight in OneWorld.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
From Iberia Agencias:

1.- Direct flight Madrid-Johannesburg gets cancelled due to lack of profitability. The Commercial division will announce flexibility and relocation conditions for affected passengers. Last flight will operate the 31st of August.

Increasing LIM to 10x/week and SJU going year round, 3x/week.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501

Increasing LIM to 10x/week and SJU going year round, 3x/week.
I never understood why IB thought there was a business case for JNB. Too much European competition and no long haul to long haul connections.

More SJU would be nice. One of the sweetspots for TATL using Avios...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
I have two biz return Avios redemptions booked for October.
Anyone know what my options will be for refund or change of carrier ?
I would MUCH prefer rerouting on a different carrier as have a shed-load of accomodation, tours, cars, seperate regional fights all booked.

I will call Iberia once I am back in the UK (in Sicily at the moment) of course but am reaching out on FT for any info, experiences or advice.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
I would MUCH prefer rerouting on a different carrier as have a shed-load of accomodation, tours, cars, seperate regional fights all booked.

I will call Iberia once I am back in the UK (in Sicily at the moment) of course but am reaching out on FT for any info, experiences or advice.

Cheers.
This far in advance... IB+ are only required to offer a refund.

At best you might get a re-route on BA if there is award space available. It's highly unlikely that IB+ will rebook you into a revenue bucket on another airline. (regardless of IAG, BA is still considered to be a separate airline)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Cheers.
I read somewhere that passengers would either be reprotected onto BA flights or given full refunds.
However....I had a business class award in IB the last time they pulled out of JNB and although BA would honour the dates, only in economy!
Good luck.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Doesn't EC261 stipulate that passengers must be offered a refund or rerouting?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA6501
Doesn't EC261 stipulate that passengers must be offered a refund or rerouting?
There is no obligation to re-route on another carrier more than two weeks out. So if an airline drops a route entirely, EC261 only guarantees a refund.

Obviously 5k J paid fares are treated rather better than award tickets when it comes to the agent making an effort to re-route as a gesture...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by craigthemif
There is no obligation to re-route on another carrier more than two weeks out. So if an airline drops a route entirely, EC261 only guarantees a refund.

Obviously 5k J paid fares are treated rather better than award tickets when it comes to the agent making an effort to re-route as a gesture...
Nope, EC261 guarantees a refund OR re-routeing (See below). However, that doesnt mean they have to book you on a different carrier or on the same day or on a flight you want to. The regulation is very vague.

Article 5
Cancellation

1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:

(a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8; and

(b) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2), as well as, in event of re-routing when the reasonably expected time of departure of the new flight is at least the day after the departure as it was planned for the cancelled flight, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c); and

(c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:

(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or

(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or

(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.

2. When passengers are informed of the cancellation, an explanation shall be given concerning possible alternative transport.

3. An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

4. The burden of proof concerning the questions as to whether and when the passenger has been informed of the cancellation of the flight shall rest with the operating air carrier.

Article 8
Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:

(a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,

- a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats."

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...lex:32004R0261
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:02 pm

IB has to give you three choices: cancellation with full refund, rebooking as soon as possible or rebooking at some other point. Also, if you have to spend an extra night or more in MAD (or in JNB on the return), then IB has to provide meals and a hotel room for you during that time.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by tobsw
Nope, EC261 guarantees a refund OR re-routeing (See below). However, that doesnt mean they have to book you on a different carrier or on the same day or on a flight you want to. The regulation is very vague.
If you are not rebooked for a flight on the same day, then IB has to provide a hotels and meals until the flight departs. If you insist on claiming these benefits (even if you are stuck in your hometown), IB has good reasons to rebook you sooner rather than later as hotel costs will be piling up.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
I can tell you what IB is offering:
  • Full refund, or
  • Fly IB on an earlier opportunity (before 1st September), or
  • Same dates but with BA.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope is a bit harsh. I am jumping beyond the specific drafting to point out that many airlines take the exact same "vagueness" you suggest to not re-route on a different carrier. Ryanair is notorious for this. (the refund hits your card before you can even call to enquire about rerouting on BA)

Although not IB, I had an award on ET ex-BCN, then they decided to drop the BCN-MAD-ADD route. When I called I was offered the option of refunding... or re-rerouting on a Star Alliance partner with award space open. (nothing available that worked) No revenue buckets.

Yes, I could have booked a revenue ticket then sued ET in small claims court. But I have better things to do...
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:38 pm

Cheers.
I'm in the same situation. Booked return award tickets for Oct / Nov. Did you book using "standard" Avios or Avios from their buy 90,000 Avios campaign last year?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:41 pm

I can tell you what IB is offering:
  • Full refund, or
  • Fly IB on an earlier opportunity (before 1st September), or
  • Same dates but with BA.
For the same dates with BA option, is the class of travel also the same? And do you have to start and finish with the same departure and arrival airports? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.