Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU261 compensation claim

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
So if I had a BA ticket for an IB flight I add 075-00000000000 as my ticket #? Is the booking code my BA record locator? When I put the 075 number and my BA record locator into the form, I get
"Sorry, but we still cannot retrieve your contact and flight details to automatically complete your complaint. Please check and if necessary correct the booking code details (PNR) and/or ticket number (TKT number) you entered. Thank you."
The form then allows me to fill it in - is that what I should do? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks
Cheers

Originally Posted by PizzaTech
So, I finally managed to submit a claim to Iberia, like other say they don't make it easy to submit a claim in the first place.

I initially posted the details of my dealy in the BA compensation thread as my tickets were booked through BA. Once I understood it was the carrier that we need to claim against I found that I didn't have the correct references for their webform and had thrown my boarding cards away. Iberia support on Twitter finally responded to say that as the tickets were booked via BA I needed to enter 075-00000000000 as my ticket number. Why don't they make that clear on the Webform - obvious really, they don't want people to claim and they don't seem to care!
Old May 4, 2022, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thegrailer
So if I had a BA ticket for an IB flight I add 075-00000000000 as my ticket #? Is the booking code my BA record locator? When I put the 075 number and my BA record locator into the form, I get
"Sorry, but we still cannot retrieve your contact and flight details to automatically complete your complaint. Please check and if necessary correct the booking code details (PNR) and/or ticket number (TKT number) you entered. Thank you."
The form then allows me to fill it in - is that what I should do? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks
Cheers
075 is IB's ticketing stock. If you have a BA ticket it should start with 125.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:14 am

The ticket does start w/ 125, however, an earlier poster stated "Iberia support on Twitter finally responded to say that as the tickets were booked via BA I needed to enter 075-00000000000 as my ticket number." That is my situation as well, with the results as mentioned.

Cheers
Originally Posted by craigthemif
075 is IB's ticketing stock. If you have a BA ticket it should start with 125.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thegrailer
The ticket does start w/ 125, however, an earlier poster stated "Iberia support on Twitter finally responded to say that as the tickets were booked via BA I needed to enter 075-00000000000 as my ticket number." That is my situation as well, with the results as mentioned.

Cheers
IB Twitter are talking rubbish then. I can't really tell you how it's done, but I can guarantee you that entering the wrong e-ticket number will get you nowhere...
Old May 4, 2022, 1:27 am

Thanks - I think
Cheers -

Originally Posted by craigthemif
IB Twitter are talking rubbish then. I can't really tell you how it's done, but I can guarantee you that entering the wrong e-ticket number will get you nowhere...
Old Mar 17, 2023, 3:53 pm

My IB JFK-MAD flight cancelled November 19th 2022 due to inbound aircraft diverting to Halifax (engine issue). I submitted my EU261 claim to Iberia on November 26th received a response on December 2nd approving my claim, requesting my ID and address where to send the check. I responded back and waited a month then started following up. Heard from them again on Jan 23rd 2023 again stating that they will be mailing me a check (posting their response below). It's now been close to 2 months and multiple follow up emails from me but still no check and no response. Before I submit a claim with AESA I wanted to check in this thread if that's still the best course of action.

Estimado señor greendx:

Gracias por ponerse en contacto con nosotros en relación con la cancelación de su vuelo IB6250 del 19/11/2022, desde JFK a MAD. Antes de la salida detectamos una avería en el avión, que nuestros técnicos de mantenimiento resolvieron en el menor tiempo posible.

Entendemos los inconvenientes que haya tenido en su viaje. La puntualidad de los vuelos es uno de nuestros objetivos principales y todos los días nos esforzamos al máximo por mantenerla. Para poder ser puntuales dependemos de nuestras propias actuaciones y también de factores externos, cuya repercusión siempre tratamos de minimizar.

Después de analizar su caso vamos a abonarle el importe de 649 dolares, a través de un cheque bancario nominativo.

Por favor, responda a este correo seleccionando la opción “Responder” para facilitarnos la siguiente información:

El período para hacer efectivo este pago puede variar desde una semana hasta un mes.

Le pedimos disculpas por lo ocurrido en esta ocasión y esperamos que su próximo vuelo con nosotros sea satisfactorio.

Gracias por seguir confiando en Iberia,

Clientes & Loyalty
Old Mar 18, 2023, 12:40 pm
formerly OliverS

Did you answer to them, providing them the information they asked for?

IB is very good at inventing technicalities that, if not fully replied to, will halt all process.
greendx and Seanish like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by OliverS
Did you answer to them, providing them the information they asked for?

IB is very good at inventing technicalities that, if not fully replied to, will halt all process.
Yes, I provided them with my ID and mailing address a couple of times.
Old May 7, 2023, 5:45 am

Hi all! Any experience with EU 261 compensation claims from IB regarding downgrading on reward flights?

My case: roundtrip long-haul flight (IB only metal MAD-XXX-MAD) that I booked with avios for the in-laws got downgraded from Business to Turista at check-in on the return leg. For a >10h flight, I read that they are due compensation of 75% of the fare. I instructed them to search for a representative on arrival, they didn't have too much time before their next flight but were able to get a paper with IB's offer (below) and were directed to another queue. I told them to choose cash, as a voucher would be hard to use. This time they were told that since this was a reward booking they need to contact IB Plus. They didn't have more time so moved on with their return home.

What to do now? Based on the paper below, it seems to me that they offered them a refund in cash of the difference between the fares of the day (for that leg, I assume). I couldn't get the specific price for that day but a quick search for a one-way ticket of the next available date showed that the difference amounts to over 3500 EUR per pax. To me the return of 75% of the points + taxes paid would be irrelevant, taking into account that their experience and comfort (elders, with back problems) was greatly affected with the downgrade.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Old May 7, 2023, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're highly unlikely to get a huge cash refund when Avios were used as payment for the flight. The only exception for this is when the airline is looking for volunteers pre-flight - in this scenario you might get a cash offer.

Not necessarily specific to IB (or backed up by IB data points for that matter), but British Airways clearly targets customers on reward tickets (and 2-4-1 vouchers) for involuntary downgrades because the 75% refund is definitely in Avios instead of cash. This looks suspiciously like the situation here...

It's also worth noting that IB is attempting to scam people who don't know their rights. The fare difference between J and Y is rarely higher than 75% of the J fare paid. (which IB is obliged to pay under EC261)

However in this case the only right is to 75% of the Avios and surcharges / taxes paid and the comfort of elderly passengers is unfortunately irrelevant.
therealdre likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:43 pm

Another involuntary downgrade here after a A333 to A332 equipment swap. This is an AA issued award ticket. The 75% of the cash equivalent of the miles used to buy the ticket is a little over 1350 USD, plus another 75 USD non tax Iberia charges. How do I go about making a claim against them?
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:12 am

I'm unsure since it's an award flight issued with AA miles. In a somewhat similar situation, but with a LH flight that was issued with TP miles and got cancelled, I was rebooked by and got EU261 compensation from LH. I believe the duty of care / compensation responsibility is with the carrier company, which makes sense.

Did they present you with a paper on arrival explaining your rights? There was a queue in MAD for this sort of claims. In any case, I would contact Iberia's customer service and inquire. I don't think you need to mention it was a partner reward, I believe they can check, as it was my case reported in the post above.

An update on that case: Called IBPlus and they informed me I would have to fill up the online complaint form. After doing so, in about a month they posted to my account: the difference of the amount of avios of the Business class and Economy class fare of that flight plus 75% of the amount of avios of the Business class as compensation.

Originally Posted by AndyAA
Another involuntary downgrade here after a A333 to A332 equipment swap. This is an AA issued award ticket. The 75% of the cash equivalent of the miles used to buy the ticket is a little over 1350 USD, plus another 75 USD non tax Iberia charges. How do I go about making a claim against them?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:54 am

I had a delayed flight (IB6275 on June 18th), that departed from Madrid 4 hours and 55 minutes delayed and arrived in Chicago 4 hours and 28 minutes delayed. It was a plane coming from Miami that had been diverted to Orlando the day before due to weather. So I guess the plane had to go from Orlando to Miami that morning which delayed it departing its normal evening flight from Miami to Madrid. I applied through the Iberia link for delayed compensation and got the normal "We appreciate that this caused you inconvenience during your trip. Punctuality is one of our top priorities and we invest our utmost efforts every day into ensuring that our flights arrive on time. This depends on our own actions but also on external factors, whose repercussions we always strive to minimise. In this case, circumstances beyond our control affected our operations.".

So I applied for the AESA route using the same information. Well today I got this email from Iberia directly -

We are getting in touch with you again regarding the incidence of flight IB6275 of June 18th 2023. We have detected an error in the answer we provided to you in our earlier communication and, for that, we do apologize. Despite all the efforts made, we were not able to avoid the incident. The applicable regulation (Reg. CE 261/2014) establishes a compensation of 300 €, for this case. Please provide us with the copi of your national identity document, passport or resident permit and your complete home postal address by responding to this Email. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you and hope to continue to enjoy your trust in Iberia. Yours sincerely, Iberia Customer Services.

Does this sound legit, or are they just trying to get out of it for half price? Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duane Haas

Does this sound legit, or are they just trying to get out of it for half price? Thanks.
It should be 600 euros.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Duane Haas
The applicable regulation (Reg. CE 261/2014) establishes a compensation of 300 €, for this case.

It makes one wonder what kind of drugs the person who wrote the e-mail was on, as according to Reg. EC 261/2014 under no circumstances is EUR 300 an applicable amount for compensation:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...sation-delay-1

IB deserves to be reported to AESA for trying to pull this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.