Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

BA Silver member additional baggage on Iberia Basic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

My apologies if this has been answered already (I did try searching, and have called Iberia, and Tweeted to them with no definitive answer).

I'm currently a BA Gold card holder, and want to buy 4 x tickets from BCN -> MAD in July. There is a Basic fare (no checked luggage) and an Optimal fare (1x checked luggage). My question is; as a OW status holder, do I qualify for the status luggage benefits? If so, would that apply to all four in my group, or just for me as the one with status? From the BA website (https://www.britishairways.com/en-es...ilver-benefits) it says:

a checked baggage allowance of two pieces in economy for everyone on your booking (except on hand baggage only (Basic) fares)
Which seems to make it clear that this benefit won't apply on HBO BA fares, but not sure how this applies on Iberia.

Many thanks in advance!

BigPun

Last edited by BigPunisher; Apr 30, 2018 at 1:02 pm Reason: clarity
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:55 pm

Are you buying at IB.COM or at BA.com? If you buy on Iberia website a flight with IB marketed and operated all oneworld status and benefits apply. It means, if you are Sapphire or Emerald, 1 extra piece of luggage to YOU (this benefit does not apply for all passengers of your booking), seat selection and so on.

If you buy this ticket on BA.COM with a BA marketed by IB operated flight, I think all benefits apply also (AFAIK oneworld benefits depends on the operating carrier), but there is a little chance that a HBO fare results with no luggage at all.

If I were you, with tickets at the same price at both websites, I will buy at ib.com (i don't really like codeshares)
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by 343
Are you buying at IB.COM or at BA.com? If you buy on Iberia website a flight with IB marketed and operated all oneworld status and benefits apply. It means, if you are Sapphire or Emerald, 1 extra piece of luggage to YOU (this benefit does not apply for all passengers of your booking), seat selection and so on.

If you buy this ticket on BA.COM with a BA marketed by IB operated flight, I think all benefits apply also (AFAIK oneworld benefits depends on the operating carrier), but there is a little chance that a HBO fare results with no luggage at all.

If I were you, with tickets at the same price at both websites, I will buy at ib.com (i don't really like codeshares)
Does this still apply in 2020?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by asnovici
Does this still apply in 2020?
Yes... just make absolutely sure to book IB marketed and operated. No codeshares or anything less than straightforward.

Also keep an eye on COVID restrictions. Many airlines are forcing you to check in your luggage (for free) to avoid the shambles that is a planeload of people getting their bags out of the overhead bins post-flight. But that may impact on the "extra bag" you might have been planning to check in.
asnovici likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.