Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia no more interlining baggage on separate tickets from 01/FEB/17

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia no more interlining baggage on separate tickets from 01/FEB/17

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Re through checking of baggage, does anyone know whether Iberia ticket agents are able to combine two separate tickets under one PNR?

I'm looking to book an IB award TATL trip connecting in MAD to a cash purchased MAD - FLR ticket, and have them issued together (i.e. two tickets, one PNR). The goal, obviously, is to avoid having to collect luggage and recheck it in MAD. I'm happy to pay telephone service charges (i.e. do both purchases simultaneously over the phone), but don't know whether Iberia's systems can handle such a request. TIA for your help!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Re through checking of baggage, does anyone know whether Iberia ticket agents are able to combine two separate tickets under one PNR?
Don't get your hopes up that the agent would even understand what you're trying to do (unless you speak really good Spanish), much less actually be able to do it.

Is there some reason why you can't do MAD-FLR with Avios as well?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Don't get your hopes up that the agent would even understand what you're trying to do (unless you speak really good Spanish), much less actually be able to do it.

Is there some reason why you can't do MAD-FLR with Avios as well?
The flight in question (IB 5807) never offers Avios tickets (probably because it's operated by Vueling). The IB website is happy to sell me tickets for it, however.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
The flight in question (IB 5807) never offers Avios tickets (probably because it's operated by Vueling). The IB website is happy to sell me tickets for it, however.
Vueling flights can be booked with Avios, in general (though I guess not on your date).

I would suggest looking into BLQ, which has several flights a day from MAD. FLR is a pretty bad airport and Bologna is very well connected to Florence.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Free agent
I have a feeling I know the answer, but will ask it anyway just in case.

Wife and are both OW Emerald flying on a BA Avios ticket from EAS-MAD (Air Nostrum) arriving at 8:50am then connecting to a separate Iberia Avios ticket from MAD-ORD-LAX at 11:35am. We are all hand baggage but were thinking about buying some wine on a side trip to France. I've never transited MAD, only final destination, but know we'd be cutting it close to claim that wine the re-check in MAD. Do I have virtually no chance of having it checked through in EAS?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'd say no chance - in any case, you won't know until you are at the counter, at which point it's too late to decide whether to buy wine or not.

The aircraft that operates your EAS-MAD flight overnights in EAS, so that's an element of risk reduced. If you're on time into Madrid, you are more than fine - I would expect you to be at the check-in area by 09:20 or so. Desks close at 10:40 for your flight to ORD.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501

The aircraft that operates your EAS-MAD flight overnights in EAS, so that's an element of risk reduced.
In theory yes, but if it's the same crew operating back to MAD, they'd need their mandatory rest period - not sure what the EU rules state - so a late arrival into EAS could see the morning departure pushed back to compensate.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by BA6501
I'd say no chance - in any case, you won't know until you are at the counter, at which point it's too late to decide whether to buy wine or not.

The aircraft that operates your EAS-MAD flight overnights in EAS, so that's an element of risk reduced. If you're on time into Madrid, you are more than fine - I would expect you to be at the check-in area by 09:20 or so. Desks close at 10:40 for your flight to ORD.
Thank you! I guess worst case we understand the risk and could end up giving a nice wine gift to the luggage team in MAD.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Iberia is the least helpful airline I have encountered to date in the big 3 alliances. Can someone please tell me why Iberia won’t check bags through on two different pnr’s both ticketed and operated by Iberia? It would save them as well as the pax time and hassle. They don’t get any more revenue from being jerks.

And another thing - passenger A is OW Sapphire and passenger B is OW gold. Same PNR. Iberia won’t give BOTh passengers the seat benefit and baggage allowance that the Sapphire gets from status? Is this a rule or does Iberia just suck?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OW does not require its carriers to check bags across tickets and it has chosen not to. That applies to IB-IB as well as IB-OW. Same thing for BA and AA. No reason for carriers to take on the risks and hassle of interlining bags when passengers have made the choice to purchase separate tickets.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by rjburns
Iberia is the least helpful airline I have encountered to date in the big 3 alliances. Can someone please tell me why Iberia won’t check bags through on two different pnr’s both ticketed and operated by Iberia? It would save them as well as the pax time and hassle. They don’t get any more revenue from being jerks.
You probably booked your trip on separate tickets because you wanted to save money. Why should the airline facilitate your money saving? The airline probably wants as much money as possible from you.
passenger B is OW gold.
There is no "OW gold" tier. Several airlines have a gold tier, but it corresponds to different OW tiers, ranging from Ruby (AA, LA) to Sapphire (AY, IB) to Emerald (BA).
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF

And another thing - passenger A is OW Sapphire and passenger B is OW gold. Same PNR. Iberia won’t give BOTh passengers the seat benefit and baggage allowance that the Sapphire gets from status? Is this a rule or does Iberia just suck?
I don't know about baggage, but both pax do get the seating benefit.

https://www.iberia.com/es/seat-reservation/
Customers with Iberia Singular or Iberia Plus Platinum or Gold cards (oneworld emerald or sapphire) may select their seating for free from the time they make their booking and for all the people who appear on the same reservation.
Mind, not sure what OW gold is.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier
Any recent experiences trying to interline IB-IB through Madrid with two different PNRs?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
I'm also interested to know if anyone has had luck getting Iberia to check through bags on 2 separate Iberia connecting tickets in Madrid. I have 2.5 hours in Madrid to get from a flight arriving from Rome FCO to another flight departing to Chicago ORD. I'm guessing from this thread that I'm leaving security, going to baggage claim, going through customs to exit then going through ticketing, security and customs to get back into the terminal...I was not able to book a single reservation due to changes in plans after booking half the trip. I'm hoping 2.5 hours will be enough time next summer after MAD installs the electronic passport scanners and hires more police.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by tommybananas
I'm also interested to know if anyone has had luck getting Iberia to check through bags on 2 separate Iberia connecting tickets in Madrid. I have 2.5 hours in Madrid to get from a flight arriving from Rome FCO to another flight departing to Chicago ORD. I'm guessing from this thread that I'm leaving security, going to baggage claim, going through customs to exit then going through ticketing, security and customs to get back into the terminal...I was not able to book a single reservation due to changes in plans after booking half the trip. I'm hoping 2.5 hours will be enough time next summer after MAD installs the electronic passport scanners and hires more police.
It's definitely worth asking, I found IB's check-in staff at FCO rather accommodating and they'll probably do it for you if the computer allows it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.