Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia no more interlining baggage on separate tickets from 01/FEB/17

Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IB PLATINO, AB GOLD, HH DIAMOND

Iberia has changed his policy about interline between two diferents PNR of Oneworld carriers follow the BA policy... from 01/02/17... so now when you have two diferents tickets ALLWAYS need to collects your baggage, also with Iberia flights. They also already change the information in their web.

http://help.iberia.com/frequently_as...r-connections/
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
This is very sad news. They are literally making it more difficult for passengers to fly. I hope this option will be introduced as a elite perk, at least!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I don't think the title of this thread is accurate. The link provided gives no indication whatsoever that IB is no longer interlining. Interline agreements apply to pax travelling on one ticket covering flights of two (or more) airlines. Strictly speaking they never covered the situation with two separate tickets, although some airlines checked through bags at least to connecting flights operated by themselves (and their alliance partners - sometimes).

All OW airlines, as well as many unaffiliated airlines, have explicitly stopped this practice not covered by the interline agreements and decided to stick to their wording. So IB is not an exception, but just followimg the rule.

On the same ticket, you can still check you luggage through (unless one of the other exception applies).
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiss_global
All OW airlines, as well as many unaffiliated airlines, have explicitly stopped this practice not covered by the interline agreements and decided to stick to their wording. So IB is not an exception, but just followimg the rule.
That is not correct. there is no OW rule to follow: OW no longer requires airlines to interline on separate tickets. But OW airlines are entirely free to decide individually that they will through-tag baggage on separate tickets.
OW Asian carriers (CX, JL and MH) do check through baggage on separate tickets, even with partners.
OW airlines based in EMEA and Americas (IATA regions 1 and 2) mostly do not check through baggage on separate tickets (neither OW partners or themselves) (except AY who will tag-through on AY to AY connections even on separate tickets).
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
There is a whole thread about OW airlines checking through or not:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...d-threads.html

Clearly, the policy has been tightened recently.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiss_global
There is a whole thread about OW airlines checking through or not:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...d-threads.html

Clearly, the policy has been tightened recently.
Actually, it has gone in the opposite direction on some carriers: CX has gone back to allowing through-checking on separate tickets and separate (OW) carriers too after having had a period during which they would only do so for CX/KA to CX/KA itineraries.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:07 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

To clarify the thread's topic, I've changed the thread title to reflect that this policy concerns interlining bags when the passenger travels on separate tickets. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:45 am

I have a change of plan for my trip. Planning to buy an additional iberia ticket after my flight on iberia into Madrid.

Any chance that the agent will tag through and check in for the additional Iberia flight? The connection is 55 mins. Minimum time for Iberia to iberia connection. Doable?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I suppose that's a maybe - Iberia to Iberia and you aren't skipping any flights. But all you need is somebody unwilling to do you the favour and you've missed your connecting flight...

They may or may not protect you for a mis-connect on the second ticket either, with or without luggage.

Is it not feasible to just change your existing ticket, rather than buy a new one?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by tboons
I have a change of plan for my trip. Planning to buy an additional iberia ticket after my flight on iberia into Madrid.

Any chance that the agent will tag through and check in for the additional Iberia flight? The connection is 55 mins. Minimum time for Iberia to iberia connection. Doable?
DEFINITELY NOT DOABLE!

Writing this from MAD T4S lounge. Had to book separate JFK-MAD, MAD-TLV tickets with Avios due to IB being unable to change my existing ORD-MAD-TLV to that routing, and forcing me to cancel and start again. As they said it would take several weeks (!) to recredit the miles, and not having quite enough to buy a new ticket without these, I ended up grabbing the last seat on MAD-TLV separately to the wide-open JFK-MAD which I bought later.

They wouldn't let me combine the tickets, and then refused to through-check my bags last night at JFK. No interest in my status or class of travel - point-blank refusal to even try. Wasted a solid hour clearing passports, taking the train, collecting and re-checking, security and getting back on the train. I was one of the first off the plane, caught a train right away, had the first suitcase off the belt, no queues to check it in, no queues for security fast track. Still an hour from plane door to lounge door vs maybe 15 mins in transit.

Luckily I had a 4 hour layover to ensure I was cushioned against this and a late arrival.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Iberia SAS
What about short checking?

I have a BOS-MAD-ARN flight coming up and I am not going to fly the last leg since I have to take a MAD-BOGthe same morning my BOS-MAD lands. I have been asked to pay 200+ to cancel the last leg, but I'm seriously considering saving that money and risking a short checking.
I already discussed this in an older post, but any new thoughts would be welcome...

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:15 am

Not many new thoughts. IB agents at BOS will not short check, if you don't want to travel with hand baggage only I would pay to modify the trip.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Iberia SAS
Originally Posted by Yllanes
Not many new thoughts. IB agents at BOS will not short check, if you don't want to travel with hand baggage only I would pay to modify the trip.
Thanks Yllanes for your advice. Are you stating this based on your experience? The "iberia oro" person whom I spoke with said that there weren't any rules against short checking...
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA G; OZ Diamond; AA Plat
Great to know!

Originally Posted by frb98mf
DEFINITELY NOT DOABLE!

Writing this from MAD T4S lounge. Had to book separate JFK-MAD, MAD-TLV tickets with Avios due to IB being unable to change my existing ORD-MAD-TLV to that routing, and forcing me to cancel and start again. As they said it would take several weeks (!) to recredit the miles, and not having quite enough to buy a new ticket without these, I ended up grabbing the last seat on MAD-TLV separately to the wide-open JFK-MAD which I bought later.

They wouldn't let me combine the tickets, and then refused to through-check my bags last night at JFK. No interest in my status or class of travel - point-blank refusal to even try. Wasted a solid hour clearing passports, taking the train, collecting and re-checking, security and getting back on the train. I was one of the first off the plane, caught a train right away, had the first suitcase off the belt, no queues to check it in, no queues for security fast track. Still an hour from plane door to lounge door vs maybe 15 mins in transit.

Luckily I had a 4 hour layover to ensure I was cushioned against this and a late arrival.
Thanks for this data point! I have BCN-STO-ORD coming up, and it's good to know that I should leave hedge time.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wawert
Thanks for this data point! I have BCN-STO-ORD coming up, and it's good to know that I should leave hedge time.
Stockholm to Chicago is most definitely not Iberia.

I'm surprised at how many people simply think that they can book separate tickets and be protected against delays, check their bags through, etc.

I tend to go the night before. The only thing worse than missing the long haul flight is arriving 6 hours too early and having to wait around the airport for the check-in desk to open. Just go the night before, chill out in a hotel, then check in normally the next day.
diamantaire likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.