Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IBERIA - Refusing Compensation and lies

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that you have an EC 261/2004 issue, just deal with IB through the standard claims channel. Who gets the matter within IB is an internal IB matter and your claim will not be resolved faster or "better" by varying the process.

As to other matters above, I strongly suggest that when a delay claim arises from an onwards connection, that you supply the specifics of that onward connection and what happened. When IB pulls up your information and sees that its flight either did not arrive sufficiently late so as to warrant compensation or that it was a Type 1 flight and you are seeking Type 3 compensation, you may avoid months of back-and-forth, by simply explaining your final ticketed destination, the type of flight, and thus how you arrive at the amount sought.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:09 am

Unfortunately Iberia do not provide any email address for me to semd my complaint. Can anyone help please? Thank you
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:30 am

There is no email address that would give you an immediate resolution of an EC261 claim. If you look at previous posts in this thread, even successful claims take months. If you have claimed using the online form, the next step is to go to AESA, as outlined above.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:42 am

Thank you
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are by no means obligated to file in Spain unless you can't get venue elsewhere. On a Spain-UK ticket, you could file in a UK small claims court (or MCOL if you have a UK address) and take advantage of the UK telephonic hearings in small claims.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
After filing with the AESA several weeks ago I received an email yesterday referring my claim to the German equivalent because my flight originated in Germany (TXL-xMAD-BCN). The TXL-MAD was delayed for less than an hour for who knows what reason, causing me to miss my connection to BCN. My re-booked flight was roughly eight hours later.

Does anyone have experience dealing with the German body?

Can I ask AESA to reconsider, given my actual 'damage' was the 8+ hour delay at MAD, a Spanish airport?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by danger
Can I ask AESA to reconsider, given my actual 'damage' was the 8+ hour delay at MAD, a Spanish airport?
According to ECJ Case C‑204/08, you have the choice to make your claim either in the country of origin or the country of destination. I'd imagine that this means that you can have your claim assessed by either AESA or the German equivalent, your choice.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Some person
According to ECJ Case C‑204/08, you have the choice to make your claim either in the country of origin or the country of destination. I'd imagine that this means that you can have your claim assessed by either AESA or the German equivalent, your choice.
Thanks for that. I don't reside in any EU country so I think I'll go back to AESA as from reports here, the organisation seems to do a fairly good job.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gld
I was delayed on an IBERIA flight from LHR-MAD for a mechanical which resulted in me missing my MAD-JFK flight. they refused to route me any other way and booked me for the next day. I filled out a compensation form at the airport, as well as online after my trip. They only ever received the online one. after some time I was denied the compensation because they claimed it was beyond their control. I wrote to the Spanish aesa. after 2 months they responded that because it occurred in the UK, I would have to reach out to the UK CAA. I then filed a complaint to the CAA. now its 2 and half months later and Iberia finally contacted me to say that they reviewed my case and they will pay it and asked for my bank details. I would tell anyone else, don't give up, eventually it will pay off.
Yllanes likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:24 am

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd piggy back on to this one given the title reflects my experience.

Returning from Havana, we changed in Madrid en route to Birmingham, UK. We arrived at the gate for the Birmingham flight at the appropriate time but there was no one there to let us on - the board said "boarding" and then "final call" but still one one was there. As it got close to the departure time we asked at the information desk and were told we'd missed the flight.

Having gone land-side, we were told our bags were still on the flight and were on their way to Birmingham. At the main Iberia sales desk, we were told that the next Iberia flight to Birmingham we could be transferred to was on Tuesday (it was Sunday afternoon at this point) or Monday if we went to Heathrow. The only option they gave for traveling that evening was to buy tickets on a BA flight to Heathrow for £500 each. We bought tickets with Easyjet in to Luton for that evening.

I've written to Iberia twice and they have dismissed the claim on both occasions. They stated "We were unable to allow you to board because the minimum time had been exceeded. Even if passengers arrive at the boarding gate before the aircraft doors have been closed, for operational reasons it is sometimes not possible to access the aircraft". This wasn't explained at the time and at no point were we informed that we had to be there at a certain time, beyond what was shown on the tickets/board.

I intend to raise this with AESA but wanted to find out if anyone has had a similar experience and if they were successful in gaining compensation.

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:34 am

It is difficult to answer without knowing more details. Was your flight from Havana late? Exactly at what time did you reach the gate?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you missed your connection because HAV was late inbound for a reason within IB's control, then you would be due EC261 compensation. (although choosing to make your own way home complicates this, as IB is not obliged to put you on any flight of your choice)

If you spent too much time in the lounge / shops / etc. at MAD then it's entirely your fault.

The fact that you arrived to the gate at a time printed on your boarding pass is basically irrelevant.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:40 am

Yet another example of dealing with Iberia
- May 18. I booked flights with Iberia Edinburgh- Gatwick-Madrid-Granada for Feb 19
- 3 days later received an email from Iberia saying EDI-LGW flight cancelled - no reason given. The flight still appearedg on Iberia, BA (operating the flight), and all travel agents websites.
- Contacted Customer Services who were no use at all. Typical response was 'it must be cancelled, the email says so'. If you try to escalate the issue they just put the phone down on you. Eventually I asked them to cancel the other two legs. Initially they said that since it was a nonrefundable booking I would receive no refund. I pointed out to them that the yhad cancelled a component of the flight and they eventually agreed that I should be refunded. They said it would take about two weeks for the refund to come through.
- I then booked the same flights through a travel agent
- No refund after 3 weeks so I opened a complaint via www.resolver.com which eventualy escalated up to CEO Iberian Airways. I had two responses, one saying 'sometimes events occur outside our control and we hope it has not put you off flying with us again'. The second was a survey asking how I felt they had dealt with my complaint.
- Aug 18 I also put in the same complaint through the Iberian website. I got back the same email as above.
- Sept 18 Still no money so decided to go to the Small Claims Court. Rang customer services to give them official notification of what I intended to do. I received the refund 5 days later.
There is more - much more!
- 3 days before flying I received an email from the airline saying the LGWf to MAD flight had been switched to a LHR to MAD flight with no suggestion on how I was to get from LGW to LHR in less than 2 hours.
- The agent received the same informationand managed to switch me to a EDI to LHR flight for no charge
- Following day received another email from Iberia saying that because of a plane change they had to move my seat booking. This was for the now non-existent LGW-MAD flight
- Flight day. I got to LHR ok but the onward flight turned back on taxiing to the runway with a hydraulic problem which turned out to be unrepairable. Put on a later flight to Madird and later flight to Granda and got there 7 hours late.
- The agent happily volunteered to put in a compensation claim on my behalf. I said to myself -' best of luck'
- In March Iberia requested my bank details and I supplied them.
- I got an email from the agent in May saying he had heard nothing further from Iberia and he had rung them up and spent 2 hours being passd from one person to another and got nowhere.
- I decided to take up the challenge myself. I raised a compensation request 10 weeks ago and have heard nothing. Looking on their website you can see the status of the request. It is both 'being resolved' and 'closed'.
- It is now with the CAA. Watch this space.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club, Aegean Miles and Bonus, Marriot Bon Voy, Le Club Accor, Hotels.com
It took me a year to receive the EU261 comp from Iberia following a 4 hour delay from LHR>MAD which ruined the start of my weekend. They claimed extraordinary circumstance "due to delays caused by previous stopover" or "technical fault which our technicians had to resolve to ensure safety of the flight". I think we went back and forth at least four times before reporting to AESA. They wouldn't entertain the claim as the flight originated in London. CAA weren't much help either as they sent a standard " we are contacting Iberia and will respond when they have responded". I kept persisting and lo and behold 1 year minus 5 days from the delayed flight they agreed to pay the 250 euros. You have to be persistant. Although i would argue 250 euros was not worth the time and effort i spent across the year....
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:13 am
Suspended

I don't know what is the point of these stories.

IB refuses any and all claims for EU261 compensation. Idk how they deal with IB+ Infinita, but from everyone else they seem to refuse 100%. Just lawyer up, take a sleeping pill, and wait for ~1 year for your money. A lawyer tells me: "IB claims are annoying but doable".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.