Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Possible to use different avios redemption amounts for 2 tickets on same flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Hello!

I am hoping others have also come across this situation. We have 105,000 Avios in my husband's individual IB+ account.

It costs 60,000 Avios for one ticket at the cheapest rate, but we don't have enough Avios points for two tickets at 60,000.

Can he fly on one Avios redemption rate, and I fly on another?

In other words:

One way ticket at 54,000 Avios plus $255 cash for him, AND
One way ticket at 48,000 Avios plus $335 cash for me. On the same flight with same purchase.

Is that possible? Since we have the points to do this, we'd rather do this than both fly at 48,000 Avios redemption rate.

if this is possible, I can't figure out how to do this online.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

sorry, I meant

Round trip tickets, one for 60,000 Avios plus $255 cash, the other for 48,000 Avios for $335 cash.

I wondered if it is possible for him to book two separate tickets like this, one for him and one for me. I can't figure out how on the site.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
60000 + 48000 = 108000. I assume you actually did mean the 54000 + 48000 = 102000.

Irrespective, you can definitely book the tickets separately with 2 different PNRs, although there might be a risk of being seated separately if you can't do online checkin.

Alternatively, you could consider just buying the miles (i.e. not miles + cash) to get you to 108k, then book 2x 54,000. You might also have other sources of Avios, such as BA or Amex, that you could transfer across.

Although IB+ customer services aren't the greatest, you could also just ring them and book it over the phone.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:18 pm

Just book the two tickets at once, and the site tells you how many avios short you are and you can see what you have to buy.

I am sure that was what it did when trying a few flights before transferring avios from BA
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:47 pm
FWX

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Irrespective, you can definitely book the tickets separately with 2 different PNRs, although there might be a risk of being seated separately if you can't do online checkin.
It's possible to choose seats on Iberia website right after purchase at no charge (even for the cheapest Blue class). It doesn't work for some flights with a stop (eg MAD - SAL via GUA), though

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Alternatively, you could consider just buying the miles (i.e. not miles + cash) to get you to 108k, then book 2x 54,000.
Avios+money scheme is much more cheaper than just buying the miles

So, IMO, it's better (and cheaper) to book two tickets at the same time, using "Avios + money" scheme - website will offer you this option during booking process. The more avios you need (per one booking) the cheaper is buying rate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.