Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:42 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I did indeed reply with a cut and paste of their own T&Cs and this morning I received the approval. I'll put Skoosh in the "maybe" column, since I think the second agent, to his credit, recognised that coming up with a second excuse could lead to a strong case with a consumer ombudsman type... (as well as annoy the guest)
That's great to hear. Your first BRG besides hotels.com in years
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
That's great to hear. Your first BRG besides hotels.com in years
With Hyatt... I had learned that everything else was a waste of time.

Fingers crossed that Hyatt will become a bit more lenient on flexible BRG claims...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by g8orgrant
I checked all my future reservations and found one was cheaper on Agoda. I rebooked it so it was new, cancelled the old one, and then submitted a claim. It was accepted and they lowered the rate by 20% from Agoda’s site. I did this yesterday; when I checked agoda today the price has risen in line w the other OTA sites. Anyone know if Hyatt has any ability to make the OTA sites price at a certain level? Could they have had something to do w Agoda changing the price today?
LOL.

Hyatt is making their guests work for them by finding all the properties that are non-compliant with the corporate rate policies!!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
That doesn't make sense. You get 20% on this reservation, not a future reservation
I guess I was slightly incorrect in the wording, it actually says "20% off your next stay," which is still not terribly clear. One could easily interpret that to be some kind of voucher. And what if the BRG is not your next stay? Either way, it does leaves a bit to be assumed.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by downinit
I guess I was slightly incorrect in the wording, it actually says "20% off your next stay," which is still not terribly clear. One could easily interpret that to be some kind of voucher. And what if the BRG is not your next stay? Either way, it does leaves a bit to be assumed.
Wait, what? "20% off your next stay" means the stay you're claiming for is not discounted by 20% (if you choose that over the 5k). Is that correct, or just more sloppiness from Hyatt?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:00 pm

The website says the following :"We guarantee it. If you find on another site, a lower, publicly available, and immediately bookable room-only rate for the same stay, we’ll not only match it but we’ll give you an additional 20% off or 5,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points."

Also, the FAQ say :"What’s changing about Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee program?

Hyatt is rewarding guests that find a qualifying lower rate through a third party by matching the rate and offering one of two Best Rate Guarantee Rewards: either 5,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points or a 20% discount on the rate."

Plus, :"What rewards can I receive if I have a qualifying lower rate?

If your claim is found to be valid, Hyatt will then match the competing rate, plus you may select one of two Best Rate Guarantee Rewards: either 5,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points or an additional 20% discount on your matched room rate."

The "next stay" thing HAS to be an error, not the least of reasons would be that I would find a 1 night $50 stay to BRG then apply 20% to my 2 week PH Kyoto stay so obviously that is not what is intended. It HAS to be 20% off the BRG'd stay as it always was. I would assume it is a holdover from the old and useless $50 on your next stay BRG, so it probably (knowing Hyatt IT) just was not updated to remove the "next stay" language when it was changed back to 20%.

I find it hilarious that they finally appear to have brought this thing back after literally eliminating it completely. Clearly they must have found their internal numbers indicated that the old 20% BRG (which I used a LOT) brought in more value than completely eliminating it. Interesting.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66

I find it hilarious that they finally appear to have brought this thing back after literally eliminating it completely. Clearly they must have found their internal numbers indicated that the old 20% BRG (which I used a LOT) brought in more value than completely eliminating it. Interesting.
Or they hired somebody from SPG. I could effectively "make a profit" from cheap one-night BRGs at SPG hotels by choosing points. But at the internal accounting cost of points for a loyalty programme, it probably works out far cheaper for them whenever we are tempted to take points.

Also don't underestimate that the $50 voucher was probably a nightmare to administer. Hotel A screws up and has to match the rate, but then Hotel B ends up undercharging you by $50 with the voucher and corporate has to make up the difference. (and potentially recharge that to Hotel A)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Also don't underestimate that the $50 voucher was probably a nightmare to administer. Hotel A screws up and has to match the rate, but then Hotel B ends up undercharging you by $50 with the voucher and corporate has to make up the difference. (and potentially recharge that to Hotel A)
Hotel A screws up, they give you a $50 voucher and charge Hotel A $50 (or $45 or so if they're nice about breakage).

You use the voucher at Hotel B, they give Hotel B $50 just like for a gift card or gift certificate.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: SK Gold
Some weeks ago, before the change of policy, I received this rejection:

After researching, I was unable to validate your submission based on we are not able to access a competing rate to your Hyatt confirmed reservation. You have the Member Advanced Purchase rate confirmed, which does not apply with our Best Rate Guarantee program. You must have the Standard Rate or Advanced Purchase (without a member discount) confirmed in order for your claim to be considered for validation.

This had me scratching my head. But lesson learnt I booked the Standard Rate when making my next attempt and got approved. Go figure! I am wondering now with the new policy allowing comparisons with membership sites, whether one still can book the Standard Rate and get approved. Logic seems to dictate compare Standard Rate with non-membership sites and Member Rate with membership site. But who knows? Has anyone had any experiences yet in that respect?
Old May 1, 2019, 12:38 am

I see not much has changed. Had one denied today because they claimed the rate was the same even though it was not when booked. Why request a screenshot if you always take hours and hours to get around to handling it and then claim you couldn't find the rate or it was different than what I submitted? That's why I send the proof. I know they just contact the ota and make them correct the rate. Waste of time.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:36 pm

Got caught. On hotels.com it was a "secret price" for me when I was logged in ($164) whereas normally showing $193. So they didn't match it.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Got caught. On hotels.com it was a "secret price" for me when I was logged in ($164) whereas normally showing $193. So they didn't match it.
But according to their new policy, they're accepting "member only" rates as long as membership is free.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
BRG team seems to be up to their old tricks again. Just had a recent claim denied after booking a Standard Rate because instead of comparing that rate with the lower OTA rate with equivalent cancellation policy, they claimed it was invalid because there's an Advance Purchase rate on hyatt.com available that is even lower. Well, of course there is.

When I pointed this out, they insisted that was the policy. Incredible!
Old May 5, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
But according to their new policy, they're accepting "member only" rates as long as membership is free.
Oh, it is too much work to get 5k points (though 5k points is quite a bit). Seems somewhat hard to reason with the people on the phone (and the form response is quite predictable).
Old May 18, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Successfully claimed a flex vs. flex with Booking.com.

I'm not 100% sure whether the cancellation policies were identical, so ^ to Hyatt for that one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.