Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Charge for package/mail delivered to the hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:47 pm
CDF
Original Poster

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold

I've seen some posts regarding a charge or handling fee that some people have had tacked on to their bills for shipping a package from the hotel but has anyone ever had a charge for receiving a package or piece of mail at a Hyatt? A colleague of mine recently had 3 small packages (< 2lbs) delivered on 3 different days to the Hyatt where we're staying. He was a little surprised to note that when he went to check out there was a charge for $21 ($7/package) added to his bill. I'm not sure what the fees were for since there was really no extra service rendered (i.e. they weren't delivered to the room) and he still had to pick them up at the front desk.

I've never had this happen at any other hotel chain that I've stayed at so I have to wonder if this is something specific to the Hyatt. Has anyone else had fees tacked on for receiving an item at the hotel? Is this just another example of the nickel and dime game that seems to be more common? BTW - the front desk did remove the charge but they commented that $7 is their "normal" handling fee. Handling for what? Accepting the package and putting it behind the desk?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDF
. . . I've never had this happen at any other hotel chain that I've stayed at so I have to wonder if this is something specific to the Hyatt. Has anyone else had fees tacked on for receiving an item at the hotel? Is this just another example of the nickel and dime game that seems to be more common? . . .
I've had this happen in the past couple of years at a number of different hotels, in different chains. Situations at Hyatt, Westin & Hilton all come to mind. It is clearly a bandwagon more and more hotels are eager to jump on.

Yes, it is definitely just another example of the nickel and dime game.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:37 pm

yup.. a bunch of hyatts charge for receiving packages.. i've been charged sometimes, and not other times (at the same hotel).. i think its one of those things where hotels hope to make more money... personally i'd prefer if they charged everyone 50cents more and provided it as a free service..
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:41 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Do they charge the fee if you hand them an envelope to give to another guest at check-in? Or is it just the fact that the envelope comes from outside the hotel that triggers the fee? Either way it is pretty hostile. Can you claim you didn't agree to it in advance? (Or is it buried in fine print on something you signed?)
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:04 pm

From my experience of 4-6 charges for delivery of packages and countless no charges for a similar sevice, I think that a charge is imposed once the Business Center gets into the act.

There is rarely a problem if my local office leaves an envelope for me that is passed to me at the time of check-in. However, a package that is "logged in" and stored for my arrival may be subject to a handling fee.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
From my experience of 4-6 charges for delivery of packages and countless no charges for a similar sevice, I think that a charge is imposed once the Business Center gets into the act.

There is rarely a problem if my local office leaves an envelope for me that is passed to me at the time of check-in. However, a package that is "logged in" and stored for my arrival may be subject to a handling fee.
This is my experience, too, which I've experienced at large hotels. Once the phrase, "Business Center" enters the equation, cha-ching!

In one case, I arrived late at night, and needed the package that had been shipped to me, as it was for an early morning presentation. It was there, but locked in the outsourced business center. I think it took waking up Paris Hilton in the middle of the night to authorize a security guard to go inside and retrieve my package.

Such a frustrating waste of time in the wee hours of the morning that I had the privilege of paying for.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:41 pm

$15 per box at Hyatt SFO, delivered to the room. For pallets, $100/pallet.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:57 pm

My travel agents wil deliver my air ticket to the hotel in an envelope to the front desk. There has never been a charge so far.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K (Plt for life), KLM Plt, SAS Diamond, AA Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond for Life
Disturbing

Quite disturbing that they are charging for such very basic services. I haven't been charged for receiving packages, but faxes of course is very lucrative for the hotel. Almost the same cost to receive a fax as sending it.
If you really want to get hosed do a video conference... I was going to receive a video conf call, but they couldn't figure out how to answer the call so they had to make an outbound call instead. After an hour call the bill had reached $2,500 !!!! Nice mark-up.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 1:31 pm
CDF
Original Poster

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Thanks for the feedback. I guess this is just one more thing I'll have to remember to ask before I have something delivered to the hotel. Sometimes I like to ship things ahead to the hotel prior to my arrival but I guess that will be a thing of the past if I'm going to get charged additional fees. The funny thing is that it seems like the "higher" end the hotel the more fees they try to pass off on to the guest.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:17 pm

Hmm, I had a FedEx package delivered to me at the Grand Hyatt Kauai in January. No charge. However, it was handled by their security office, not (as I expected) the Business Center.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:30 pm

Oh, just wait

Originally Posted by free101girl
Hmm, I had a FedEx package delivered to me at the Grand Hyatt Kauai in January. No charge. However, it was handled by their security office, not (as I expected) the Business Center.
I've watched this practice spread over time. I suspect as more chains have GM meetings and share 'best practices,' more and more will see it as money lying around, just waiting to be picked up, and it will become even more prevalent.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Interesting topic

I'm at the marriott riverwalk right now and am fed exing two packages out tomorrow (both Fed Ex boxes I picked up at the conv. ctr) and weigh about 5-7 lbs each. I asked at the front desk if there is a std daily pick up they said yes. I said what time (4 p.m.) and said do I just leave the boxes here. they said yes or you can take them up to the Biz ctr.. I asked if there was a charge (no charge per the FD); the BC is near the gym/pool so I stopped in and just double checked it was a daily pick up (or would I have to call Fed Ex for the pick up) and they said that it was a daily and I could leave it there for $10 each. I went to the FD and said you said no charge. They said "to leave it down here" and then we walk it up for you.

How effing stupid is that

back to Hyatt.. I'll be at the HP in LAS in a couple months and am shipping a larger box out there in advance of my arrival. I wonder if I should call/email them to see if I will get charged, otherwise, I will just switch hotels to the Res Inn across the street and get it for free.

this is such a bogus fee.. enough of one to make me not stay at a property that does this.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find this practice despicable, but there is no doubt it is getting more widespread. I protest this charge, generally successfully, every time it is imposed.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:16 pm
tgw

It's all about convenience. You gotta pay for it IMO. I'd be doing the same thing if I was a hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.