Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask The Housekeeper

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:51 am

One thing that always gets me is the alarm clock. Having it facce forward (towards the TV) does me no good in the middle of the night. I turn it towards the bed when I go to sleep and set the alarm.

Sure enough, I have to repeat this task every night. Any chance they can just leave it facing the bed?

I know, its trivial...but just another one of those things...

randomman
Old Feb 14, 2008, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, EA
Originally Posted by TxTrav
When we travel on corporate conventions I just found out that the bellmen and housekeepers tips are already paid for. Is that something the hotel negotiates for large group travel?

I've always tipped the maids and bellmen in the past when I've gone on these type of trips. Does that mean they are getting double tipped?

Only once did a bellman refuse to accept the tip saying that was already covered in our package rate. Of course, the maids have never refused the extra tips.

My question is, do the maids (and bellmen) really get extra money when a large convention group stays at a hotel and therefore the convention guests don't need to tip?
I personally have never heard of that.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randomman
One thing that always gets me is the alarm clock. Having it facce forward (towards the TV) does me no good in the middle of the night. I turn it towards the bed when I go to sleep and set the alarm.

Sure enough, I have to repeat this task every night. Any chance they can just leave it facing the bed?

randomman
If you left a note, they would most likely leave it alone, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by randomman

randomman
I turn it face down so the LED light does not light up the room
Old Feb 14, 2008, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I turn it face down so the LED light does not light up the room
I can assure you it wouldn't stay that way even with a note
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:13 am

Programs: united, delta, british
[QUOTE=bigguyinpasadena;9234251]This is not specific to Hyatt
I often leave a nice tip for the maid.Someone from the housekeeping staff(a supervisor)often checks the rooms BEFORE housekeeping arrives-I worry that the tip for the maid never makes it to the person who actually cleans my room-the person whom I left the tip for.Please ease my mind on this.

Are the tips generally pooled? If so, is it by the day or week or what? I like to leave a tip but often don't have the right bills, so sometimes leave a larger tip every two or three days--what happens then? Does one housekeeper luck out and another lose out?

What percentage of people tip, and how much???

Last edited by bkcarolina; Feb 15, 2008 at 1:15 am Reason: nothing written
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:36 pm
eda

Bedspreads and blankets?

How often are they cleaned?

Thanks for doing what you're doing - tell your management I approved a raise for you.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, while I don't frequent the Hyatt forum, this is a very interesting thread! Welcome to FlyerTalk, AJK1535!^
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Wow, while I don't frequent the Hyatt forum, this is a very interesting thread! Welcome to FlyerTalk, AJK1535!^
Ditto! ^
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM Lifetime PLT, Hyatt LT Diamond, Marriott LT PLT, Hertz PC
Why do some (thankfully not all) housekeepers rearrange all your personal stuff from the bathroom vanity onto a towel? It makes me NUTS! I have my a.m. and p.m. stuff set out on opposing sides of the sink in a way that is useful to me, in the order I use it. I've talked with other women (maybe this is a chic pet peeve?) who find this equally annoying. I understand the need to wipe down the vanity, but why must they override my routine? End of rant.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I have also noticed this during my stay at Marriott properties. It is not annoying to me, but I can understand why some people would not like it.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2 MM, Marriott Titanium, Admirals Club, Hilton Silver, Priority Club Platinum
One other variation on the topic of leaving a tip. I usually leave the tip under the pillow if it is during the stay and on the nightstand at the end of the stay when I am checking out. Thanks for all of the information, btw.

How often is the carpet vacuumed during the stay?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:27 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by oldvolvo
... I usually leave the tip under the pillow if it is during the stay...
Doesn't that confuse the tooth fairy?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:55 pm

1. Why is housekeeping staff almost without exception the most competent and pleasant group of employees in every hotel? (Seriously, but the question is rhetorical.)

2. I never have my room made up during a stay...unless it's REALLY long (say, over two weeks). IS there some policy that suggests that I should get a "sorry, we couldn't make up your room..." note AND voice mail every day, up to and including the 14th?

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: DLDmd1M, Marriott LTPlt, Hilton Dmd, Hyatt Dmd & too many others to be paying taxes in my hometown
This is not specific to just Hyatt's, but is there a way to NOT get a call from housekeeping when I opt not to get service? Sometimes I work nights and need to sleep during the entire day. Calling the front desk or reminding them daily when I get back doesn't always help either.

Co-workers & I have had this issue from Hyatt to Hilton to Marriott. I know the hotels want to make sure I didn't leave out the sign by mistake, but I REALLY want to sleep in peace. If I left the 'No service out by mistake', then it is MY mistake. I've thought about leaving a note on the door "I am asleep. Do NOT disturb. Call or knock at risk of waking the 4-headed hydra."

A 'sorry we missed you' note quitely under the door would be a nice touch, but like the other poster said, it is usually accompanied by a call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.