Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask The Housekeeper

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:09 am

Not Hyatt-specific, but why are telephones (think: wake-up call) and alarm clocks almost always on opposite sides of the bed? Nightstand crowding fears?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Scottie
Why do some (thankfully not all) housekeepers rearrange all your personal stuff from the bathroom vanity onto a towel? It makes me NUTS! I have my a.m. and p.m. stuff set out on opposing sides of the sink in a way that is useful to me, in the order I use it. I've talked with other women (maybe this is a chic pet peeve?) who find this equally annoying. I understand the need to wipe down the vanity, but why must they override my routine? End of rant.
Probably because people like me (a guy) love it.

I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect them to draw a map of your items and replace them in the exact order you use them, or remember which items go left and which go right.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by randomman
One thing that always gets me is the alarm clock. Having it facce forward (towards the TV) does me no good in the middle of the night. I turn it towards the bed when I go to sleep and set the alarm.

Sure enough, I have to repeat this task every night. Any chance they can just leave it facing the bed?

I know, its trivial...but just another one of those things...

randomman
This one makes me laugh...how is anyone to know the position that you want it in or want it left in?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by dingo
This one makes me laugh...how is anyone to know the position that you want it in or want it left in?
Well, personally, I'd assume that the position I moved the clock to is the position I like to have it in.
bbbb likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Marriott Silver
What's the reason behind folding over the top facial tissue in the box (and the end of the toilet paper roll) every day? I've seen this at almost every hotel I've stayed at for the last ten years and have never figured it out. My thought when I see it is that the person who cleaned my toilet also touched that tissue, so it's going straight in the garbage.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:49 am

Suppose we are ambivalent about getting the room cleaned on some day. Is it better for the housekeeper if we let the room be cleaned (more work hours) or if we put the DND sign out (easier day)?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by PDX Bill
What's the reason behind folding over the top facial tissue in the box (and the end of the toilet paper roll) every day? I've seen this at almost every hotel I've stayed at for the last ten years and have never figured it out. My thought when I see it is that the person who cleaned my toilet also touched that tissue, so it's going straight in the garbage.

I completely agree! I had a housekeeper at home who did the same thing and it made me feel like I was back in a hotel - not what I wanted at home!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I,and some of the others here,do not like the Portico White Ginger-are the other Portico scents stocked in the housekeepers closet so that we could request a different scent?
YES! Tho it seems to vary by hotel. I personally find the white ginger stuff revolting. At the Vancouver Hyatt they have a lovely Lemongrass scent (but you have to request it). At the Grand Tampa Bay they have H20 products that are also nice.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by randomman
Well, personally, I'd assume that the position I moved the clock to is the position I like to have it in.
These are reasons I just prefer not to have my room cleaned (as well as environmental reasons).

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I never have my room made up during a stay...unless it's REALLY long (say, over two weeks). IS there some policy that suggests that I should get a "sorry, we couldn't make up your room..." note AND voice mail every day, up to and including the 14th?
I concur, how do we make it clear we don't need the room made up?
...or phone call(s) and/or voice mails asking us about having the room made up, or people knocking anytime of the day (yes, sometimes as early at 10am) regardless of the do not disturb sign?

Not meant to be a rant, just another question. This is not Hyatt specific, it's true at all the major's I've stayed at.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: none
hello, I am new to the whole housekeeping circuit.

I am trying to figure out what are some tips that I as a new housekeeper be aware of?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by oldvolvo
One other variation on the topic of leaving a tip. I usually leave the tip under the pillow if it is during the stay and on the nightstand at the end of the stay when I am checking out. Thanks for all of the information, btw.

How often is the carpet vacuumed during the stay?
The best is to leave the tip on the pillow. This signs the personal to see it as a tip because it is presented for them.

Originally Posted by beachfan
Probably because people like me (a guy) love it.

I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect them to draw a map of your items and replace them in the exact order you use them, or remember which items go left and which go right.
But usually in a good 5 star or 5 star superior hotel the housekeeping stuff wouldn't do it. Usually they shoudl try not to touch the guests belongings at all if it's not needed.

Originally Posted by PDX Bill
This should make you as a guest feel, that the room was cleaned and usually the 2 folded papers of the toilet paper roll are the ones, the personal touched with their hands. You know than to not use these two papers yourself. This is common all over the world.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:00 am

Is every-other-day housekeeping more or less becoming the norm at Hyatt Regencys across the US?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Axwell D
The best is to leave the tip on the pillow. This signs the personal to see it as a tip because it is presented for them.

But usually in a good 5 star or 5 star superior hotel the housekeeping stuff wouldn't do it. Usually they shoudl try not to touch the guests belongings at all if it's not needed.

This should make you as a guest feel, that the room was cleaned and usually the 2 folded papers of the toilet paper roll are the ones, the personal touched with their hands. You know than to not use these two papers yourself. This is common all over the world.
You are replying to 11 year old messages.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Is every-other-day housekeeping more or less becoming the norm at Hyatt Regencys across the US?
I haven’t seen that in any of my US stays at Hyatt properties.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:05 am

In the past few years, I’ve been writing ‘thank you’ on a slip of paper that I put on top of the tip. Before adopting this practice, I had noticed the tip would sometimes not be collected.
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.