Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask The Housekeeper

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:24 pm

sometimes i check into a room, i got a plate of fruits, sometimes I don't. why is that so?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:12 am

Hi. Thanks for help. This may be a stupid question, but do all of the half-used shampoo bottles get thrown away?

Do the bottles get recycled? Do you guys take the shampoo out?

And I assume the soap gets thrown out as well?

Does it ever get donated to a charity?

Last edited by artemis021; Feb 12, 2008 at 10:06 am
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:36 am

I've always wondered what happens to all those half-empty shampoo bottles too

What's the oddest/most disgusting/most surprising thing you've ever found in a room?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, EA
Originally Posted by artemis021
Hi. Thanks for help. This may be a stupid question, but do all of the half-used shampoo bottles get thrown away?

Do the bottles get recycled? Do you guys take the shampoo out?

And I assume the soap gets thrown out as well?

Does it ever get donated to a charity?
The bottles get thrown away and taken out by the housekeepers. The soap is thrown out as well.

As for the most disgusting, we find vomit every week or so and that's never fun.

Last edited by AJK1535; Feb 12, 2008 at 12:02 pm
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:53 pm
mgi

Have a suggestion actually - as part of the turndown service housekeeping typically leaves the TV and several lights on. Its a nice touch but its a waste of electricity for seemingly no good reason. As part of being more eco-friendly we may want to discontinue leaving the TV on and just leave one light on so the room is not completely dark when you enter.

How do the other's feel about this?

Thanks,
MGI
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:30 pm

Tips

What percentage of guests leave tips? Are tips shared? What would be a normal tip for a room, also for a suite, although suites have been very scarce for the last couple of years. And finally do housekeepers expect tips as do bellman, etc.
Thanks for your input.
Bob
Old Feb 12, 2008, 5:29 pm

I agree with mgi. Heading into my room late at night and hearing voices inside (radio or tv) as I open the door always gives me a start. Better to leave it turned off, save the electricty and my poor aging heart
Old Feb 12, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by bob95409
What percentage of guests leave tips? Are tips shared? What would be a normal tip for a room, also for a suite, although suites have been very scarce for the last couple of years. And finally do housekeepers expect tips as do bellman, etc.
Thanks for your input.
Bob
Hi Bob,

At the properties i've worked at I would say anywhere from 30%-60% of the guests leave tips.

As far as a normal tip, for a 2-3 night stay they generally see $3-$5 tips.

Housekeepers are not paid like restaurant servers; they don't live on tips and they aren't guaranteed. That being said they do come to expect tips and are admittedly more motivated when they receive a tip.

Hope this helps, i'm sure AKJ will have more to contribute.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I had another question but I want to follow up on the tips

What percent on any given night of the guests leave any sort of tip?

back to the regularly scheduled programing >

Are you told to set the thermostat to a low number? in the mid 60's? or in the summer to a high number like the mid 70's?

I ask b/c in the winter every room is cold and in the summer its hot till I change the thermostat?

oops one more

Is it a problem (on a multi nighter) to give me like 3 regular coffees per night for the room and you can keep the decaf?

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Feb 12, 2008 at 6:47 pm
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by FPHotelGuy
Hi Bob,

At the properties i've worked at I would say anywhere from 30%-60% of the guests leave tips.

As far as a normal tip, for a 2-3 night stay they generally see $3-$5 tips.

Is nightly tipping recommended or at the end of stay? I've been told the latter, but it seems like more than one housekeeper might be involved during a stay.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by jayer
Is nightly tipping recommended or at the end of stay? I've been told the latter, but it seems like more than one housekeeper might be involved during a stay.
When I travel I tend to leave $2 a day. That's really the only indicator I can give. The amounts very so much it's hard to say what is typical.

You are correct, though housekeepers tend to like having "their" set of rooms daily, the housekeeper can change on a daily basis.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by Aircoco
sometimes i check into a room, i got a plate of fruits, sometimes I don't. why is that so?
That doesn't seem to be a housekeeping thing to me?????
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by mgi
Have a suggestion actually - as part of the turndown service housekeeping typically leaves the TV and several lights on. Its a nice touch but its a waste of electricity for seemingly no good reason. As part of being more eco-friendly we may want to discontinue leaving the TV on and just leave one light on so the room is not completely dark when you enter.

How do the other's feel about this?

Thanks,
MGI
Doubt you wanted this sort of response, but I am so tired of having this eco crud shoved down my throat! We have entire chains that are now non-smoking...I want one that is non-tree-hugging-off-the-deep-end hell bent on forcing me to stay in Al Gore's hotel room...just me I'm sure. While I'm on this rant, there have been several issues of Conde Naste devoted to going green, staying green, eating dirt and bark and so on which is worthless to me personally and not why I subscribed, but hilarious when I count up the 12 thick paper cards they stick into each magazine...my suggestion to them: go green and stop sticking so many in the mag!

I'm done.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:36 am

Now that I'm done ranting...

Welcome AJK1535. I don't know what the motivation is for starting this thread but I can see nothing but positives come out of it. For years I have been impressed that some travel companies have reps on these boards. It doesn't mean I / we always get our way, but certainly the willingness to ask questions and provide information such as this is excellent PR. Depending on what you do with the information it can also help you personally in your career as well as your employer...the whole Wisdom of Crowds type of approach for a function that usually is relegated a few yes/no questions on survey cards.

Welcome, and good for you for taking the initiative to do this. If I were your co-worker, employee or supervisor I would be very impressed with your desire to consult your customers and offer them your insights. Good job from a not-so-frequent Hyatt guest.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've waited the housekeeper make the beds when the sheets aren't changed. Why do they put the pillows on the floor?

I absolutely hate that!

I also dislike the fact that when I check in there is a full set of shampoo etc but they are never replaced back to a full set even if I stay for 7 to 10 nights.

That happens with the coffee/tea as well.

I have to put the newspaper in my suitcase to keep it from being thrown away even if I put it in a drawer. Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.