Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Club upgrade using points...need to pay extra for second guest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club upgrade using points...need to pay extra for second guest?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:22 pm

I am glad to hear you chose another hotel instead of the Hyatt after the way this was handled. Hyatts customer service is just not what it use to be . I have one more Hyatt stay this year and the rest of my business goes to SPG.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
What kind of rate did you book originally? How can they say it was not the rack rate?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:06 pm
Suspended

All I can say is that when upgrading from (Perv. Rate /B&B/Package) to Club level there was never any surcharge or dscussion in regards to the rate.
When upgrading to Suite they made me pay Rack rate (and I think the Prev. Rate ist exactly that) and simply upgraded. No further charges. Room was booked for 2, Suite was used by 2. No discussion.
In the past I was able to booke heavy discount rates, which for sure were not allowed to upgrade.

BTW. Will the Hyatt Melbourne hand out somekind of "compensation" when staying there during their renovation period?? Got an email on this issue, but that was not mentioned.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by westcoastman
What kind of rate did you book originally? How can they say it was not the rack rate?
I originally booked a standard room for 2 people at the prevailing rack rate. They don't say that I haven't booked the right rate, what they claim is that because I want to use points to upgrade the room they look at the rate difference of the upgraded room from 1 vs 2 people. And because there is a difference in the rate of 1 vs 2 people for the upgraded room they want me to pay that difference on top of my prevailing room ratethat I had booked...even tough I had originally made the reservation for 2 people.

Did that make it any clearer?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:13 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Sydfly
I originally booked a standard room for 2 people at the prevailing rack rate. They don't say that I haven't booked the right rate, what they claim is that because I want to use points to upgrade the room they look at the rate difference of the upgraded room from 1 vs 2 people. And because there is a difference in the rate of 1 vs 2 people for the upgraded room they want me to pay that difference on top of my prevailing room ratethat I had booked...even tough I had originally made the reservation for 2 people.

Did that make it any clearer?
FWIW, I understand what you are trying to explain and I understand what the hotel's position is on this. However I think this is horrible customer service by both the hotel (mainly) as well as by Hyatt. One of them should just suck it up and give you the upgraded room for 2 people. I think PH Canberra is being unreasonable and I think Hyatt really is quite lousy at any kind of rules enforcement against the hotels. Because this situation is NOT in the T&Cs, then any good hotel chain (and one would think a Park Hyatt would fall into this category but apparently not) would let the customer have the upgraded room for 2. I can bet you my house that this would not happen at SPG. Either it would be written in the T&Cs, or SPG would make the individual hotel honor the rate for 2 people.

The sad thing is that this is so simple to fix.

1. PH Canberra could fix it. It might cost PH Canberra an extra $10 per night to let a second person in the lounge. Why don't they suck it up and let this slide. This situation probably happens so rarely that it's not worth enforcing by the hotel if they want to keep up their good image.

OR

2. Hyatt Goldpassport could fix it quite easily I would think as well. Maybe they could arrange for the OP to pay GP directly and then issue a CLUB award stay. An award stay is good for 2 people in the room. How difficult would something like this be? Heck, this would probably give the added benefit of screwing the hotel out of extra money since I would bet that the hotel would get less for a Club award stay than the OP was paying for the Prevailing Rate. But no, they have to stand firm on their beliefs, even though to a sensible person they really don't have a ground to even stand on in this situation.

If I were the OP, I would go and shred the PH Canberra as good as I could on TripAdvisor and other such travel websites. Make them look as bad as possible (and that's certainly not hard to do in this case).

It seems like stupid little things like this are happening more and more lately with Hyatt. Their normal Goldpassport customer service is fantastic. But when it comes down to dealing with Hyatt Consumer Affairs (?) and individual properties, Hyatt has a long way to go. Hyatt really needs to grow a backbone and discipline some of these disgraceful properties (a la SPG), or if they are unwilling to do that, then they need to step up to the bat and come up with a solution of their own. It shouldn't be that a silly little thing like this should need to get blown out of proportion and the stay cancelled before Hyatt will do something.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:44 pm

Last edited by nonyflyer; Aug 20, 2013 at 11:54 pm
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Does anyone know anything about the management at that particular property?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:51 pm

Well, as you can tell from even a need for a thread such as this, I can tell you this about the management:
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:00 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
My question would be broader - is the management of Park Hyatt trained differently. Except for PH Vendome, I have never been very impressed by their top management. In of the post in this forum, a comparison is made with SPG. I would be tempted to compare more Park Hyatt with 4Seasons...and at the 4Seasons top management really listens and focus on De Luxe Hospitality...not on PAX yielding NUMERS with MARGIN RATIOS.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
On my email confirmation the name of the GM was Karl Werner Diefenbach, so I'd guess he speaks German. Maybe I should have contacted him directly in German to see what response I would have received. He might not even know what's going on behind the scenes in his hotel.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
No problem for me

It sounds pretty grim for this particular member but my experience has been different. I think this was visit number 6 to PH Canberra. I have always found them to be very courteous and helpful, although sometimes lacking in experience. The quaint uniforms they wear always amuse me when I walk in.

I just stayed there two weeks ago and had absolutely no problems. My room was AU$230 for two people. Prevailing rate during a pretty slow time since Parliament was on holiday and the weather is awful.

I upgraded to Club using 3000 points and that was that. Both of us were able to use the lounge, and had a wonderful room as always.

In the past, I have stayed there alone and have always had a great experience, usually upgrading from the single rate.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Platcomike
I upgraded to Club using 3000 points and that was that. Both of us were able to use the lounge, and had a wonderful room as always.
Why the inconsistancies at this hotel??? They let you upgrade 2 people to the Club floor yet they won't allow the same thing for the OP. Maybe the OP should just book the room as 1 person and then upgrade. I'm sure the Club staff have much clearer minds than whoever it is that is trying to enforce their dumb made-up rule. I'm sure the Club staff would has the decency to think the rule is dumb as well and would let both people in.........
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:22 pm

Thumbs down *****

Last edited by nonyflyer; Aug 20, 2013 at 11:54 pm
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:29 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nonyflyer
It's sad that Hyatt is willing to spend so much on a marketing spree to recruit new Gold Passport members, but was unwilling to help a loyal member. It's especially disapointing when in such an unreasonable and trivial case.
My sentiments exactly. I used their free-night after 1 stay promotion and the hotel I stayed at on the 1 stay messed up several basic things. I asked to be contacted by the hotel management and never was.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by nonyflyer
Several years ago I came across another thread, which reflected a different kind of customer service, a different Hyatt. The reply came from Julia Moore, the former Gold Passport concierge. The thread can be found here:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/archive/i.../t-133410.html

Does anyone else see the vast difference in the response from Hyatt?

As I was walking through the American Airlines terminal in Chicago O'Hare today, I noticed a very large billboard-like Gold Passport advertisement.

It's sad that Hyatt is willing to spend so much on a marketing spree to recruit new Gold Passport members, but was unwilling to help a loyal member. It's especially disapointing when in such an unreasonable and trivial case.
Julia Moore was out standing! Things have not been the same since she left. It now takes weeks to get a reply to requests for help,if you get one at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.