Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Club upgrade using points...need to pay extra for second guest?

Old Jul 4, 07, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: IHG Spire Royal Amb, HHon Diamond, Marriott Titanium...Airlines: BA Gold (OW Emerald), LH SEN** (*G), QF Gold (LT Silver), VA, UA

I tried to use points for a club upgrade and have booked a room for 2 adults. I called the Aussie GP line and was told that they could happily upgrade me to the Club but if I wanted to upgrade the second person in the room as well I would have to pay $90 more per day

They basically said that the rate would be higher for two people if I want to use my upgrade. This doesn't make sense to me because I have already booked a room for 2 adults and now only want to upgrade that room using points. I can't see anywhere that it mentions that the upgrade is only valid for 1 person. I think they are b...itting me. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 4, 07, 9:28 am
pdb

Agreed--this makes no sense. Time for a call to GP Customer Service.
Old Jul 5, 07, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: IHG Spire Royal Amb, HHon Diamond, Marriott Titanium...Airlines: BA Gold (OW Emerald), LH SEN** (*G), QF Gold (LT Silver), VA, UA
Interestingly, I called GP Customer Service only to hear that the hotel has decided to charge this additional fee for the second person in the room and there would be nothing they can do about it. I pointed out that their T&C do not mention that the rate might change if you decide to upgrade your room to the Club level using points if there are two people in the room. And it makes absolutely no sense anyway.

This is one of many stays at the PH Canberra which have caused me problems. This hotel seems to think that they don't have to comply with the GP T&C in many ways. This example just being one of them.

The additional fee has now dropped to $30 from previously $90 yesterday, however, even if it was only $5 per day, I don't think the hotel has a right to charge an additional fee anyway because there is no mention of this on the award chart. And if there are hotels that do this differntly, they should name and shame them on their website, so everyone can avoid these properties like the plague.

I haven't followed this from for a while, but didn't we have a lurker in here who we could contact? Does anyone know her/his FT handle?
Old Jul 5, 07, 9:38 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Sydfly View Post
I haven't followed this from for a while, but didn't we have a lurker in here who we could contact? Does anyone know her/his FT handle?
Karen Smith is "Gold Passport Concierge" on here. And I do agree that additional charge for a second guest is ridiculous - third or more guest would be understandable.
Old Jul 15, 07, 12:12 am
Original Poster

I've tried to convince the hotel to honour the upgrade but so far was unsuccessful. Karen was going to check for me as well but I haven't heard back from her. So, I cancelled my reservation and will stay at the Crown Plaza instead where I generally get a nice suite as a Plat member.

Due to the stupid rule this Hyatt hotel made up, they have lost my business and will continue to do so in the future if they do not comply with the published upgrade rules.
Old Jul 15, 07, 9:45 am
Suspended

This is not right at all. Have upgraded multiple times in several different properties within Australia and was never charged anything extra. Ever. I would call this a scam.
OTH GP was always very good time they even got me a suite upgrade on New Years eve.
Old Jul 15, 07, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
This is wrong. Totally wrong. I need a followup from GP or I will also drop Hyatt like a rock...
I think you need to call U.S. GP and file a formal complaint. I know the Aussies come up with some strange RC rules off the cuff but this one takes the cake. Please be sure to add that they told you that there would be a $90 charge and dropped it to $30 but like you said $5 is too much.
Old Jul 16, 07, 1:04 am

Last edited by nonyflyer; Sep 3, 13 at 3:08 pm
Old Jul 16, 07, 9:46 am
Suspended

One would love but:
Inquired about a points upgrade to suite for 1 night at Cologne today and the German reservations agent (dialed the 01805 number) started of with telling me that there would be a minimum stay requirement of 4 nights to do so.
I just laughed at her and told her that I never had to do that and that using the 6000 points to do so would be sufficient to do that for 3 nights.
She then confirmed that she was able to reserve a room that doesn`t require her own made rules. HaHa, sure you can just do never admitt you were wrong.

My be they start to invent new "enhanced" rules.
Old Jul 16, 07, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Definitely doesn't make any sense. I was there earlier this year using FFN's and received the club access and spacious room despite my rather early check in.
Old Jul 16, 07, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

No good news yet. GP claims that the T&C would allow them to charge extra for the second person based on the higher rate of the upgraded room.

My opinion on this is that:

When using points to upgrade you cannot base the upgrade on the revenue rate for the upgraded room! That's where the issue is. Upgrades have to be based on the revenue rate of the room type that is being upgraded and NOT on the rate of the upgraded room. I have booked the prevailing rack rate for the room type I want to upgrade (for two people) and the hotel has no right to charge me extra based on the room rate of the UPGRADED room.

Otherwise, what's the point of using points to upgrade if they first look at what the prevailing rack rate for the upgraded room is and if that happens to be more expensive for 2 vs 1 person they charge you extra regardless of whether you have made a reservation for 2 people in the first place!

You have to agree that this is ridiculous and is clearly not the intention of an upgrade award.
Old Jul 17, 07, 2:45 am

Programs: LH Senator, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta, Air France
Agreed - as the world is going flat, lots of call centers are using trainees who don't have the time to study the rules and make their own - to improve revenue, to look good at a manager's meeting...The result is that they are destroying the brand. If I were the GM of that property, by now I would be aware of what is going on and not only would I upgrade in a very nice room, I would also have a bottle of Champagne ready. Make Hyatt the Lovebrand it used to be...
Old Jul 21, 07, 10:17 am

Last edited by nonyflyer; Sep 3, 13 at 3:08 pm
Old Jul 22, 07, 9:24 am
Suspended

Would love to hear the outcome of this story!
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Well, the outcome wasn't very positive. GP did not waive the fee, I didn't stay at the hotel and they claim that they have the right to charge more for the second person and that the T&C might not be that clear about that. I don't want to paste the reply I received from Karen but she might want to do that herself here anyway. I'll leave this up to her.

She wanted to contact the corporate office and ask that the term "minimum prevailing rack rate" be explained in more detail. However, I still think that the rate of the UPGRADED room should have nothing to do with that at all. I would still insist that I had booked a room for 2 people at the prevailing rack rate and wanted to upgrade that room using points. Their argument has always been that the upgraded room will be more expensive (of course it is because it is an upagrade!) and that the rate would change given that there is more than 1 person in the room.

Can anyone explain this any better to them than I can because I don't think they get the point about the way upgrades are supposed to work. They compare the rate of the upgraded room with the rate you have booked and then decide whether there will be a surcharge for a second person I don't think that's reasonable.

Search this Thread