Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
stayed recently and was lucky enough to be upgraded to the Saatchi Suite - a fantastically unique stay. Review here.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:30 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great trip report. I was a bit disappointed when the hotel announced the deal with the Saatchi gallery, as I am not a huge fan of Saatchi's personal ego trip of a museum. But the action by the hotel shows genuine creativity and that is a plus.

In another matter, I have noticed over the past several months that rack rates at the Churchill have been rising to stratospheric levels, to the extent that they are actually similar to the rates at some luxury hotels. Canary Wharf is a much worse location, but in August after the Olympics, I was able to get a suite at the FS Canary Wharf (which is highly rated for service and hard product) for the cost of a basic room at the Churchill. And booked thru Four Seasons Preferred Partners, I get most of the benefits of the Churchill club as well.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:36 pm

I would've loved to spend 1 night at that Suite. I personally love all the new artwork in the Lobby. Our 4 night stay last month was just wonderful.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:08 pm

You even like the huge lumberjack in the lobby? Makes me think of Monty Python.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I strongly recommend people staying at the weekend to try Sunday brunch. Brief review is here (unfortunately forgot camera so pictures from iPhone)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
I really don't understand why anyone complains about the price. If you can't afford it, stay somewhere else.

Ditto for lounge access. If you want it guaranteed, book a club room. If you want a suite, book one. Use your points. Upgrades are better value anyway.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by keiko
I really don't understand why anyone complains about the price. If you can't afford it, stay somewhere else.

Ditto for lounge access. If you want it guaranteed, book a club room. If you want a suite, book one. Use your points. Upgrades are better value anyway.
I think your tone is a bit harsh. For me, despite liking the hotel, it's a matter of getting value for money at a time when other hotels in London are rapidly dropping rates. I am still seeing a suite at FS Canary Wharf (worse location, better hotel) going for less than a regular room at the Churchill, although the Churchill is finally beginning to drop prices but only for prepaid bookings.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
Well, I am sorry that you took it that way.

But the thing is, every hotel tries to maximise their yield, just as every guest wants to pay as little as possible. I think that what people are really complaining about is the effect of the exchange rate on the amount paid. For me, as an Aussie, the opposite is true - stays at this hotel are about half as much as they were.

Plus, the rates in the US are ridiculously cheap. You can't reasonably expect to get anywhere close to them anywhere else, (except maybe in Asia), because of higher wages.

I think for the location and the amenity, this hotel is not over-priced. And, as I said, if the price is out of your budget, stay elsewhere.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I think your tone is a bit harsh. For me, despite liking the hotel, it's a matter of getting value for money at a time when other hotels in London are rapidly dropping rates. I am still seeing a suite at FS Canary Wharf (worse location, better hotel) going for less than a regular room at the Churchill, although the Churchill is finally beginning to drop prices but only for prepaid bookings.
Actually, the CHurchill rates are very competitive to other 4 and 5 star hotels. Plus with corporate discounts, room rates are GBP 175 ++.

I agree with the other poster, if you can't afford to stay at the hotel, stay somewhere else. Doen't really help complaining about the rates, or comparing its rates to a hotel at Canary Wharf.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by keiko
I think for the location and the amenity, this hotel is not over-priced. And, as I said, if the price is out of your budget, stay elsewhere.
This is a little harsh. While a nice hotel, it is not a FS. I think we know from RichardInSF's past posts that it isn't the price, but rather the value proposition vis-a-vis other hotels. That is a fair point and I don't think exchange rates come into play here.

Also, I don't know how helpful if it is to suggest staying elsewhere, if someone is already voting with their wallet!

Last edited by sensei; Jul 28, 2012 at 8:12 pm
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by SethLevy
Actually, the CHurchill rates are very competitive to other 4 and 5 star hotels. Plus with corporate discounts, room rates are GBP 175 ++.

I agree with the other poster, if you can't afford to stay at the hotel, stay somewhere else. Doen't really help complaining about the rates, or comparing its rates to a hotel at Canary Wharf.
Putting aside corporate discounts, which not everyone uses if they are not eligible for, I checked a few other generally available rates on the Amex FHR site.

During the period I am referring to, a deluxe room for 4 nights at the Savoy is 20-40% lower than the Churchill. The Ritz is 15-35% cheaper. As these are FHR rates, those rates include breakfast, an extra amenity (GBP85 F&B credit at the Ritz, for example), late checkout, and a possible upgrade.

Most folks would think these are more highly rated hotels than the Churchill, and although their location is different, they are both right in the center of things.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Most people do not use AMEX FHR rates (because of the high rates compared to regular rates), so again that is not a good compare. That said, I would not rate the Churchill as a luxury hotel. The Churchill's high non-corporate rates reflect that it is often almost sold out, and anyone spending time at the hotel can see they aim to attract a particular market, who are willing to pay the rates for long stays.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Putting aside corporate discounts, which not everyone uses if they are not eligible for, I checked a few other generally available rates on the Amex FHR site.

During the period I am referring to, a deluxe room for 4 nights at the Savoy is 20-40% lower than the Churchill. The Ritz is 15-35% cheaper. As these are FHR rates, those rates include breakfast, an extra amenity (GBP85 F&B credit at the Ritz, for example), late checkout, and a possible upgrade.

Most folks would think these are more highly rated hotels than the Churchill, and although their location is different, they are both right in the center of things.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:53 am

In hotel tonight. Diamond amenity is different for the Olympics - normal wine, chocolate and (unusually ripe) fruit. Also a golden cookie designed as a medal (complete with ribbon) and Olympic tea bags. Nice to see something a bit different.

Our first stay in one of the new suites. Pictures to come.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
I prefer the rooms, service level and location of the andaz over this property
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by inthemix
I prefer the rooms, service level and location of the andaz over this property
Although I love the location of the Andaz, I also like the proximity of the Churchill to Bond Street etc. I have always found rooms and service superior at the Churchill, but the Andaz is a great property. For me, the Churchill feels like home, but the Andaz is a nice hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.