Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt DFW REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt DFW REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:27 am

Wow what a great hotel!!!! I wasn't sure I believed all the "hype" but this hotel is a Park Hyatt without the name. Gorgeous rooms w/electronic everything (like Park Hyatt). Wonderful service. Got the wine and snacks as a Globalist (at night) and a really delicious room service breakfast. Charge for breakfast went way over $32 but they still waived the whole thing no questions asked (and not requested, they just did it at check out.) Really wonderful staff. Impeccably clean (hotel looks brand new but I don't think it's anywhere close to brand new). Yummy cookies in the lobby and basically unlimited bottles of spring water. Really truly reminded me of a Park Hyatt experience. My only criticism: the TV's are too small - but I'm sure the 65" are coming soon. Great experience!!!!!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This is still one of my favorite hotels, but I feel obliged to report three recent (Mar 2019) minor negative data points:

- No more toothpaste in the room
- Paper straws in the bar/restaurant (I HATE paper straws lol)
- I was told by a front desk agent that the terminal access program for guests has been discontinued since the government shutdown. That may have been bad intel from one agent but it would be good to verify if true.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dpb132
This is still one of my favorite hotels, but I feel obliged to report three recent (Mar 2019) minor negative data points:

- No more toothpaste in the room
- Paper straws in the bar/restaurant (I HATE paper straws lol)
This happens at almost all Hyatts now. Their eco-friendly change made last year.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Aventine
This happens at almost all Hyatts now. Their eco-friendly change made last year.
The more the better as far as I'm concerned. We all need to be doing a bit, big corporate included.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:01 pm

- I was told by a front desk agent that the terminal access program for guests has been discontinued since the government shutdown. That may have been bad intel from one agent but it would be good to verify if true.
So if this is true and we stay the evening before our early morning flight, we will not be allowed the passes to go through security and dine/shop on the secured side?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
So if this is true and we stay the evening before our early morning flight, we will not be allowed the passes to go through security and dine/shop on the secured side?
That's what I was told. However we need some additional data points from other Flyertalk members.
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Buy the cheapest ticket you can find for that night or day. Print the boarding pass and go through security. Then cancel the ticket within the 24 hour window for a full refund. Problem solved.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by mikebor
Buy the cheapest ticket you can find for that night or day. Print the boarding pass and go through security. Then cancel the ticket within the 24 hour window for a full refund. Problem solved.
If you do so, be aware that this is explicitly prohibited by many airlines' terms. E.g., AA's includes the prohibition
  • Buy a ticket without intent to travel, including to gain access to our airport lounges or other facilities
I'm not telling anyone what to do, I just wanted people to be aware that this is something explicitly called out. Of course, if you do it only rarely, and maybe on different airlines each time, odds are you won't get caught.

Also be aware that tickets may require that the flight be cancelled some amount of time before departure in order to retain any value.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by mikebor
Can't do the 24-hour trick for same-day flights with most airlines. (AA is generous in allowing it when you book at least 2 days in advance, but still doesn't work for same day.)

You can of course buy the cheapest refundable ticket (who cares the cost so long as you have the available credit on a credit card)... but I wouldn't make a habit of that. Presumably airlines won't have reason to care if you're just doing it to shop at the duty free. But they would likely notice sooner or later if you were doing it to access that (or an affiliated) airline's lounge.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:21 pm

That's what I was told. However we need some additional data points from other Flyertalk members.
So I emailed the hotel asking about the Terminal Access Program and got the following response:

Good Evening,

We unfortunately no longer have the Terminal Pass available to our hotel. However we do have other options to going off property to eat without having a car. We have an area right outside the airport called Grapevine that has a bunch of amazing places to eat as well as shopping centers. There is a shuttle that does go from the hotel directly to the Grapevine area that is $5 per person round trip.

Kind regards,

Holly
dpb132 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:29 pm

So I emailed the hotel asking about the Terminal Access Program and got the following response:

Good Evening,

We unfortunately no longer have the Terminal Pass available to our hotel. However we do have other options to going off property to eat without having a car. We have an area right outside the airport called Grapevine that has a bunch of amazing places to eat as well as shopping centers. There is a shuttle that does go from the hotel directly to the Grapevine area that is $5 per person round trip.

Kind regards,

Holly
This, plus the change to Cat 5, definitely takes some of the shine off of what is otherwise a top property.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This, plus the change to Cat 5, definitely takes some of the shine off of what is otherwise a top property.
I think it should have stayed a 4 too.
dpb132 and MarkOK like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:54 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Aventine
I think it should have stayed a 4 too.
I agree
One its in Dallas.
Hotel stays more typically than not are far less expensive in that region
Though it is hands down one of the best airport properties in or out of Dallas its also one of those hotels I book weekend rates at from 159 to 200 dollars a night
Granted during the week/week days as a premium positioned property I've seen it go from 200 to 300 on average but even then that makes it a category 4 no matter how you slice and dice it
I pulled up Wednesday April 17th just for an example and its 254 for a night which is where I typically see the property at
over the last few years on weekdays. Category 5
From my years with Hyatt I've seen them break the rules occasionally and not look at ADR exclusively but how heavy the redemption rate is
Much like they did in NYC where almost every property good or bad is 25k and up
It doesn't make sense IMHO but then I suppose it doesn't always have too!
dpb132 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:36 am

We fly a lot between Dallas and Orlando with our kids (usually out of Dallas Love because we have flown Southwest in the past) and typically our go to is to fly out in the evening and spend the night at the Regency in MCO, then get up the following morning when we want and continue to Disney. This time however we are flying with AA out of DFW so decided to try something new and spend the night at the Grand at DFW the night before and fly out early the next morning. We were kind of excited about this new plan, assuming we could explore the airport at DFW like we do at MCO, but after hearing they have discontinued the ability to do this, we have switched our flight to the night before and changed our reservation back to the Regency MCO. Creatures of habit I suppose lol. A little disappointed but we still enjoy our tradition too.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We fly a lot between Dallas and Orlando with our kids (usually out of Dallas Love because we have flown Southwest in the past) and typically our go to is to fly out in the evening and spend the night at the Regency in MCO, then get up the following morning when we want and continue to Disney. This time however we are flying with AA out of DFW so decided to try something new and spend the night at the Grand at DFW the night before and fly out early the next morning. We were kind of excited about this new plan, assuming we could explore the airport at DFW like we do at MCO, but after hearing they have discontinued the ability to do this, we have switched our flight to the night before and changed our reservation back to the Regency MCO. Creatures of habit I suppose lol. A little disappointed but we still enjoy our tradition too.
I wonder if TSA cut it out or what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.