Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:53 am

Any way to get around "hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points" situation? It seems all types of rooms are available for cash for the date I want to stay (7/30), and it's a huge hotel, so I doubt availability is the problem.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:01 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've never had a problem with hallway noise here. You're going to have a hard time finding a downtown San Diego hotel that's quieter than this one.
I've been staying at this property many times since the 90s and a terribly light sleeper.Can't ever remember having a noise issue
unless my window was open and even then minimal
Stayed here even over New Years in the past without issue
I would suspect isolated issue at best
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I've been staying at this property many times since the 90s and a terribly light sleeper.Can't ever remember having a noise issue
unless my window was open and even then minimal
Stayed here even over New Years in the past without issue
I would suspect isolated issue at best
This reminds me of the time we stayed here a few years ago and made the mistake of leaving our window open over night. We were awakened at the crack of dawn to a thunderous roar from a group of marines engaged in their morning training drills. The sound echoed off the hotel facade and straight into our room. We kept the windows closed thereafter and slept soundly.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:28 pm

Memory Lane

Originally Posted by DealDetective
This reminds me of the time we stayed here a few years ago and made the mistake of leaving our window open over night. We were awakened at the crack of dawn to a thunderous roar from a group of marines engaged in their morning training drills. The sound echoed off the hotel facade and straight into our room. We kept the windows closed thereafter and slept soundly.
The building was superbly designed back in the day and still looks well.
Speaking of Marines and our amazing military community reminds me of watching their drills on the beach decades ago.
on one of my first visits staying at Hotel del Coronado.Back in the day what a Sunday brunch the del had!
I've been meaning to get back over there as I've heard the restaurant is pretty good
Never would have thought I would be living here in SD all those years ago
gadberry likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:23 pm

Has anyone tried the breakfast buffet at Seaview? Curious how it compares to the Grand Club breakfast.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Joker0874
Has anyone tried the breakfast buffet at Seaview? Curious how it compares to the Grand Club breakfast.
Extensive but not cheap? (From January 2022)

Others have posted photos of the Grand View breakfast upthread.

David
bbbb likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:52 pm

is the breakfast buffet at seaview free for globalist?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by BeyondTalk
Not anymore.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by bbbb
Not anymore.
thanks
I should have have stayed sooner.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
thanks
I should have have stayed sooner.
You’re not missing anything at that buffet.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:37 pm

Now that the club is open technically it is not.
The Club historically is excellent by any Hyatt North America standards
On some rare occasions management has proactively after decades of stays there asked me to join them in the restaurant for one of my mornings or two!
I like both and a fan of both.

There is no doubt in my mind if you reach out to their front office manager for a special exceptions to enjoy they may happily accommodate you.
Never hurts to ask nicely.
I was last there Xmas week and the restaurant was fab for the basics
and the service very good considering they were swamped.So it was a bit slow getting items as expected

I’m always been taken care of in this property the way I wish most US park Hyatts would.Generous hotel in my own experience.
I’m a fan and a first choice in San Diego despite a sea of many
Don’t overlook Hyatt Mission Bay it has the Red Marlin also putting out a solid
breakfast as well. A very different experience though
madmanshoney likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 14, 2022 at 9:56 pm
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Stayed here a few days ago for a conference at the city convention center. Booked a 1bd suite at a fairly reasonable $513/night sale rate that was advertised on Hyatt.com. While checking in, I let them know that I'd prefer a two bed setup and it ended up taking 20-30 minutes for them to check me in. Eventually, they were able to find a room and I received the room category that I paid for as a Globalist. That was annoying because my colleague was waiting for me the entire time.

I thought the hotel was good overall, but I ended up wishing that I had booked another hotel slightly more convenient to the convention center (either Hilton would have been better, as the convention was unexpectedly in the D-E-F-G sections of the center) instead of prioritizing loyalty. Walking to/from the far side of the convention center in a suit in the summer was no fun.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by satellite779
Any way to get around "hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points" situation? It seems all types of rooms are available for cash for the date I want to stay (7/30), and it's a huge hotel, so I doubt availability is the problem.
Availability seemed to be an issue around that date, as the hotel was hosting an accounting convention and I counted at least 3 conventions happening that weekend at the nearby San Diego Convention Center. Later, when I tried to book another room for a colleague for cash, the hotel ended up first only showing me Globalist-guaranteed rates and then later would not take my money at all.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Now that the club is open technically it is not.
The Club historically is excellent by any Hyatt North America standards
On some rare occasions management has proactively after decades of stays there asked me to join them in the restaurant for one of my mornings or two!
I like both and a fan of both.

There is no doubt in my mind if you reach out to their front office manager for a special exceptions to enjoy they may happily accommodate you.
Never hurts to ask nicely.
I was last there Xmas week and the restaurant was fab for the basics
and the service very good considering they were swamped.So it was a bit slow getting items as expected

I’m always been taken care of in this property the way I wish most US park Hyatts would.Generous hotel in my own experience.
I’m a fan and a first choice in San Diego despite a sea of many
Don’t overlook Hyatt Mission Bay it has the Red Marlin also putting out a solid
breakfast as well. A very different experience though
can you order omelette or egg Benedict from club lounge breakfast? Or can only get whatever they have out?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:08 am

Delete due to duplicate post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.