Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saint
I just completed a staycation at the Grant Hyatt Manchester. I’ve stayed here many times before and we typically always come for my birthday. Previously I’d always get a welcome email from their GM, Daniel Kuperschmid welcoming me and thanking me for being a Globalist.

This time I didn’t get any email and although the room was ready for early check-in, when we looked on the App it just had the normal room that we rented.
At check-in they did upgrade us to a Suite. On previous stays, if the Presidential Suite or Penthouse suite was available they would upgrade me to those suites. It was a bit disappointing to see those suites available on the App but didn’t get upgraded to them. (Yeah, yeah I know I’m spoiled and shouldn’t expect those suites).

I should be happy that I got upgraded free to a Suite and I was glad to get upgraded. I asked the girl at the check-in if Daniel Kuperschmid was still the GM and she said no. But Jingle Eichler who I’ve also received welcome emails before was the one that upgraded my room. She is awesome! I guess my wife emailed Jingle to let her know we were coming back and Jingle sent up several birthday cakes. She noted on a previous visit my favorite was carrot cake and they brought some up. This was a VERY classy touch and one of the reasons I love this property.

Usually we get a really high floor but this was the first time that I got a lower floor suite. I was in 924/928 and although the suite was really spacious, there were a few things that the hotel should note.
The sofa is in pretty poor shape. It's all beaten and worn and I didn't see this before on any of the rooms I've stayed at here. Nothing major but leaves a bad impression as everything else is so great. The biggest issue was there is a lot of noise. I’m not sure if they blast music at the pool area but they started playing music early in the morning.

Also, in the night and morning you could hear the train horn blast. I never heard the train on previous visits and maybe because I was so high but it was annoying.
The suite has 3 entrance doors. One in the living room, one near the kitchen and one in the bedroom. I’ve had this same room before on higher floors. I wouldn’t want to stay in this room again as it was really loud with the music and the train horn.

Breakfast was included free for Globalists in Sea View restaurant. They had a nice buffet set up and you could order made to order omelets that were tasty. A decent spread of pastries, fruits, cereals and eggs, bacon, sausages, etc. Cash price was around $90 with tip.

This is a great hotel to use the Category 1-4 free night. And they always allow me a 4 PM late check out which is great. Free parking for Globalists as well.
If you’ve previously received Premium Suite upgrades complimentary I would be very thankful, but never expect it, especially a Penthouse Suite at a property like Manchester GH.

They have amazing guest relations and amazing extras I agree though.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They also have (or had) specific staff responsible for taking care of elites.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
As a reminder all and someone that resides close to the Downtown I too have been victim to the more recent uber extortion.
Though my ride homes is under 10 minutes Uber has been charging up to the 100 dollars with an average of 40 to 50 dollars plus tips for each ride.Supposedly due to surge pricing? Oh sure ok
Now some of you hear may be to young to have heard of a thing called a taxi but this dinosaur is still around and kicking
As I watched hundreds crowd and search on the sidewalk for their Lyft and Uber drivers I simply hopped a cab home for 12 dollars plus a tip
I was one of 3 people waiting for a taxi I truly felt like a vip avoiding the addicted cell phone users getting scammed
Yeah, taxis do get overlooked. For me, even with the surge pricing it still makes sense to use uber because I get a bunch of use or lose credits from Amex each month. With no other travel planned, it was either simply use up the credits or order something from uber eats at the end of the month (or let the credits go to waste). My surge pricing wasn't as bad as what you report -- I think it was like $30 to the Manchester Grand from SAN and about $10 going back the next morning, before tips.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by Matt4200
If you’ve previously received Premium Suite upgrades complimentary I would be very thankful, but never expect it, especially a Penthouse Suite at a property like Manchester GH.

They have amazing guest relations and amazing extras I agree though.
Yes, I agree that those Premium suites shouldn't be counted on. I never do but I think it's really smart to offer those suites if they aren't booked to their really active Globalists. Daniel their GM always did this for me and I greatly appreciated it. But sounds like he isn't there. Their biggest issue is probably they just don't have the staff for it. These days in San Diego (and everywhere else) it's hard to find staff to clean or anything else so I suspect that was the reason why.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Just used a cat 1-4 cert here for an overnight layover at SAN. I have a bunch of uber credits from Amex and so I figured that it would actually be faster and easier than a hotel with a shuttle. Unfortunately, when I landed uber was having massive surge pricing, but even so it is a very fast uber ride and I was happy to get an elite night credit and use up a category 1-4 cert.

I hoped to save time by doing digital check in so that I could go straight to the room and sleep. I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite which was sort of completely unnecessary since all I needed was a bed.

So, I go straight to the room and the digital key doesn't work. I call down to the front desk and they say they will send someone straight up. I should have just said, "I'll just come down," but, whatever. So, anyway, nobody shows up for a while. I'm standing there in the hall with my bags, exhausted, with pot smoke seeping out of one of the rooms (or maybe more than one of the rooms) on the hall. Finally, I go down to the desk. Not an insignificant walk and lots of drunk conference attendees to compete with at 11:40 p.m. for the elevator. Anyway, they put me through close to a full check in and give me the keys. I go back up and open the door and I'm standing there in the living room portion of a 2 BR suite. No bed. The doors to each of the bedrooms are locked off. No way in. I call down and ask to please just be let into a room with a bed. Naturally, the guy will be "right" up. I sit on the very nice couch admiring the kitchen. Eventually the guy comes up and lets me into one of the bedrooms by using new keys that open the door to the hallway. So, no way to pass through to the suite part of the suite even if I wanted to unless I figured out how to open the lock off, which was hard because one of the handles had fallen off in my hand when I tried it 20 minutes earlier. Anyway, the new room had a bed, and I slept. And I got a cheap uber the next morning.

I'm sure it is a very nice hotel. But for a one-night stay doing a layover I think next time I'll just go with one of the standard airport hotels.
Well, to add insult to injury I just noticed a $500 charge on my credit card. I pulled up my folio on Hyatt.com and see I was charged a $500 smoking fee. I don’t smoke. No attempt was made to contact me. What a disappointing stay all around.

Does anyone happen to have an email address of someone I can contact at the hotel to get this resolved without me having to spend stupid amounts of time on hold or on the phone?
strickerj and lechamber like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:14 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They also have (or had) specific staff responsible for taking care of elites.
Well, to add insult to injury I just noticed a $500 charge on my credit card. I pulled up my folio on Hyatt.com and see I was charged a $500 smoking fee. I don’t smoke. No attempt was made to contact me. What a disappointing stay all around.

Does anyone happen to have an email address of someone I can contact at the hotel to get this resolved without me having to spend stupid amounts of time on hold or on the phone?
If we are allowed to mention names, it would be Jingle Eichler from the executive office that is responsible for taking care of such issues!

[email protected]%0d

lkar likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 2:58 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Would ask to speak with the GM of the property directly or open a case with a Hyatt Consumer Affairs Dept manager.
I would avoid Globalist agents though as this isn't a routine typical hotel issue and needs escalation.
lkar and lechamber like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Hi all,

Looks like we may have found our property! I have a few questions:

Situation: A multi-generational trip next August. Me and my family, my parents and my brother plus his family: 6 adults (2 seniors, both in excellent shape, so ADA isn't an issue; 4 adults in their 40s) and 4 kids (13, 13, 6, 5). Mission Bay is a better choice, but the prices for our week are out of control.

We will have 4 rooms: one suite for the grandparents, one room for a family of four (2 adults, 6, 5) and two rooms for my family (2 adults, 13, 13). We will get a room with lounge access for anyone who does not get one because of status or other features, so all of us will have lounge access.

I am globalist, so I think that will carry over for my kids' room. Nobody else has status, but we will be booking everything through Prive (i'm actually an agent as a side-gig, so it's an easy booking).

Questions:

Can I get some more detail on the pool situation? It seems like there is a kids pool that is overrun with kids (which is fine with us). Is it a baby pool or a decent sized pool (which is obviously a relative term)? What about the adult pool? Is it a lap pool or can we just get in and hang? Cabanas?

Did I see that there is a third pool somewhere?

Any update on the lounge? Some members of our party like their wine in the afternoon and we can't tell what's complimentary.

The plan is probably to spend a few days at the pool and a few days exploring San Diego, so we don't want a pool area that's so small that spending several hours there will bore the kids.

Thanks!
Mike
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef

Questions:

Can I get some more detail on the pool situation? It seems like there is a kids pool that is overrun with kids (which is fine with us). Is it a baby pool or a decent sized pool (which is obviously a relative term)? What about the adult pool? Is it a lap pool or can we just get in and hang? Cabanas?

Did I see that there is a third pool somewhere?

Any update on the lounge? Some members of our party like their wine in the afternoon and we can't tell what's complimentary.

The plan is probably to spend a few days at the pool and a few days exploring San Diego, so we don't want a pool area that's so small that spending several hours there will bore the kids.

Thanks!
Mike
There's much more to San Diego than a hotel pool. Go visit the beaches, especially Coronado Island. You can probably google some pictures of the pools to get an idea of size, but I thought they were pretty good sized. Most of the family should be able to enjoy. The fitness center next to the kids pool is huge.

Don't know anything about the lounge, but I'd assume how it is operating today is much different than how it will be next August
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Seagull689
There's much more to San Diego than a hotel pool. Go visit the beaches, especially Coronado Island. You can probably google some pictures of the pools to get an idea of size, but I thought they were pretty good sized. Most of the family should be able to enjoy. The fitness center next to the kids pool is huge.

Don't know anything about the lounge, but I'd assume how it is operating today is much different than how it will be next August
Thanks! The pool is important to a couple of members of our party. We're going to be spending plenty of time in town.

Mike
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The main pool is decent sized. It's not a kiddie pool, although I don't remember details about its depth etc. or whether there is a separate kiddie pool for small children in the same area. The adult pool seems private and almost secret. It's small but would be good for laps. When I was there, the adult pool didn't at all have the party vibe like you see at some Andaz etc. pools.

PreCOVID-19, there was free wine in the lounge from 5pm to 6 pm daily, with happy hour food continuing to 7 pm. The honor bar continued a couple hours until the lounge ceased to be staffed for the night. At that time, there was still keycard access for water, coffee, etc. 24/7.

Don't expect fancy wine, but there were several red and white (each) choices every night with some rotation. Staff didn't seem to mind people grabbing a full glass of wine right before the free cutoff at 6 pm. I thought the food offerings were generous and appealing, although some popular items seemed to disappear quickly. There were always a few staples (special to this property) items available that were pretty good.
Pocatello likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 15, 2021 at 6:33 pm
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I was there last week for three nights for work and the lounge was not yet open.
Breakfast was in the Seaview restaurant each morning
Destination fee of $35/day was waived as a Globalist but still entitled to $10/day credit at Market One.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, United Silver, National Exec
Exclamation

Spent a couple nights on property in late October. Would return again, but making sure of the following:
  • Make sure to check in at the Bonvoy elite desk or you may not be informed of the current list of property amenities.
  • Additionally, do not have the front desk coordinate with the bell desk to have your luggage brought to your room. I arrived back in my hotel in the evening to find that they delivered my luggage to the wrong room, and I didn't get my luggage until the next day. The management eventually made it right, but it was quite inconvenient.

flyzeus likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:49 am

Talking If you think Bonvoy elite recognition is poor now..

Originally Posted by road2elysium
Spent a couple nights on property in late October. Would return again, but making sure of the following:
  • Make sure to check in at the Bonvoy elite desk or you may not be informed of the current list of property amenities.
  • Additionally, do not have the front desk coordinate with the bell desk to have your luggage brought to your room. I arrived back in my hotel in the evening to find that they delivered my luggage to the wrong room, and I didn't get my luggage until the next day. The management eventually made it right, but it was quite inconvenient.

Wait until you see how bad it is when you are staying at a Hyatt!
strickerj and Pocatello like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by mikeef
Hi all,

Questions:

Thanks!
Mike
Just did a stay-cation here last weekend. Out of the dozen or so times I have stayed there, it was the first time actually going to the pool. The main pool isn't very big and has a max depth of about 4 feet and has no slides or anything of interest besides water (which is heated). There are two small hot tubs off to the sides and plenty of deck space for chairs. The pool restaurant/bar is still closed. There is a play area behind the pool deck that has ping-pong and a giant connect four game. The Hyatt Mission Bay pool is much better for kids because of the slides, but those pools aren't heated. That shouldn't be a problem in August though. One day at the Grand Hyatt pool is probably more than enough.

The pool is such a non-focal point at the Grand Hyatt that the only picture on their website is the cover photo in the Photo section.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...photos-reviews

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.