Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Do all Coke use the same water? Do all beef patties comes from the same farm? I have had these products in different parts of the US and sometimes they taste very different.
on a recent UA flight from SFO to SEA the "Diet" Coke I got tasted rather strange (yet familiar). Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be "Coke Light" from the Austrian/Czech/Slovakian markets. Quite a bit different from the standard US Diet Coke.

Expectation is not reality.
Yup.

I always wish the San Fran Grand Hyatt to be as good as the ones in Asia - but it ain't go'in happen - never in my life time. At least there are planned renovations at the GHNY - so lets wait and see how that turns out.
I believe the Grand Hyatt SF is supposed to have renovations, too?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Do all Coke use the same water? Do all beef patties comes from the same farm? I have had these products in different parts of the US and sometimes they taste very different.
I am always amazed that some people believe they can actually taste a difference between water from source A and source B after it was mixed with the usual coke syrup, it is actually more a difference due to the temperature, environment, expectations etc.

If you are able to do so, ^

Obviously, the comment was more related to actual quality and brand standards, so I should have pointed out that I expect the quality standards to be applied equally all around the world, when I drink my Coke. I also expect the same from Hyatt, if they call a property a Grand Hyatt, I expect more in comparison to a HP and Hyatt Regency.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FD1971
If you are able to do so, ^

Obviously, the comment was more related to actual quality and brand standards, so I should have pointed out that I expect the quality standards to be applied equally all around the world, when I drink my Coke. I also expect the same from Hyatt, if they call a property a Grand Hyatt, I expect more in comparison to a HP and Hyatt Regency.
If you are unable to do so, ^

To say one should expect consistent standard between properties across the world is a pipe dream. For example, it is known that the ratio between staff to guest room in Asia is higher than those in US because of lower labor rates. Should we now expect this same ratio to be applied to US properties so we can all feel like we are in Asia?

The simple questions are - what is meant by "quality standard"? How far do we want this list to be? Is there a "quality standard" for different geographic regions? And if there are, are they being followed. Hence, in these reviews, are we comparing apples to apples or just ranting?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by FD1971
I am always amazed that some people believe they can actually taste a difference between water from source A and source B after it was mixed with the usual coke syrup, it is actually more a difference due to the temperature, environment, expectations etc.
It isn't just perception: there are actually some formulation differences to meet local market demands. For example, the continued use of cane sugar around the world versus hfcs in the US, due to cost differences for the local bottlers.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:36 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Respire Room on Display

We've seen a lot of peekaboo bathrooms but this temporary peekaboo hotel room voyeurism to a new level. (Just not Standard NYC levels. Probably to the dismay of certain tourists.)
http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20..._Respire_Rooms

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...tt_Hotel_Rooms

GH's Renovation Is In Full Swing: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...In_Full_Swing_

Last edited by Kalboz; Nov 5, 2010 at 1:16 am
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:54 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Interesting. What about the Bed Bugs though?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:16 pm

Staying at Grand Hyatt now. Their new restaurant just opened today - the area above the entrance door on the mezzanine level behind the concierge desk is visually impressive, modern and the menu looks pretty enticing too. Hope to try it out tomorrow. In other news, Evian and Pellegrino water is no longer available at the Grand Club, instead there are taps for still and sparkling water ("Naturel"). That's a shame, I was looking forward to my regular free Pellegrino,- now Andaz suddenly became more attractive. I can understand why they did what they did, but it's still a shame.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the renovation include enlargement of the bathrooms in the rooms? That would be the single best change they could make, but it would be expensive!

I sure wouldn't switch to the Andaz just to get one small bottle of sparkling water a day (assuming they remember to refresh your fridge!).
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I love the new room designs and I'm glad they're finally going forward with a renovation.

With this and the other hotel openings in the future, I'm excited to give Hyatt more NYC stays in the future.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:28 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
From the look of the single picture, it seems they are going with a similar style to the newly renovated rooms at the Hyatt Regency Jersey City. If so then big ^
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:52 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Staying at Grand Hyatt now. Their new restaurant just opened today - the area above the entrance door on the mezzanine level behind the concierge desk is visually impressive, modern and the menu looks pretty enticing too. Hope to try it out tomorrow. In other news, Evian and Pellegrino water is no longer available at the Grand Club, instead there are taps for still and sparkling water ("Naturel"). That's a shame, I was looking forward to my regular free Pellegrino,- now Andaz suddenly became more attractive. I can understand why they did what they did, but it's still a shame.
Thanks for the update.Very sorry to hear the news
I'm with you sparkling water in glass bottles was not only highly desirable it differentiated a more average hotel into a premium experience with food and beverage thanks to the nice offerings in the Regency Club. Still and sparkling in glass bottles was a touch of class that the other club lounges weren’t offering in the usual array of New York hotel club lounges.This move creates a generic experience and like offering club soda & Crystal Geiser in First Class.Passable but a common bland experience

It may make it easier and cost effective for the hotel but it creates a cafeteria clinical like experience. A rubber hose gun/tap for soft drinks is a different story as it is typically branded.Quality and perception of upscale guests won't diminish.

That said I am sure there are others who don’t drink water who could care less.I will probably be forced to go out of house to satisfy my desires or think of other potential options……..I really enjoyed looked forward to knowing they were there available during my stay whenever the club was open.

Other than that I am excited to hear about the progress with the upcoming planned improvements to the hotel that are long overdue ^ I cannot wait for the return of the Park Hyatt New York too down the road which is one of my favorite hotel brands globally!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:30 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I have found that the front desk will provide coupons for free bottles of water from the lobby restaurant for Diamond members. Sometimes they are offered. Other times I have had to ask.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by mmgm
I have found that the front desk will provide coupons for free bottles of water from the lobby restaurant for Diamond members. Sometimes they are offered. Other times I have had to ask.
Thats a very nice touch what options are there?
In the past I too received coupons however I rarely used them thanks to the nice offerings of glass still and sparkling water in the Regency Club.The coupons allowed a free bottle of Aquafina in the lobby grab and go store(I assume thats what you meant by lobby restaurant?) which is perfectly nice.

Sparkling water was prohibited on the coupon however that seemed silly
I booked a revenue stay with Andaz instead after hearing of the Regency Club downgrade recently.
The value and experience seems stronger.See how that goes.........

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 19, 2010 at 11:05 am
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Thanks for the update.Very sorry to hear the news
I'm with you sparkling water in glass bottles was not only highly desirable it differentiated a more average hotel into a premium experience with food and beverage thanks to the nice offerings in the Regency Club. Still and sparkling in glass bottles was a touch of class that the other club lounges weren’t offering in the usual array of New York hotel club lounges.This move creates a generic experience and like offering club soda & Crystal Geiser in First Class.Passable but a common bland experience
I'm going to disagree here -- to my mind, this is a positive change. I prefer to avoid imported bottled water due to the environmental waste it represents, and having an option for eco-friendly sparkling water is a big plus to me. And it's in keeping with the many high-end restaurants that are now starting to filter and carbonate water in-house.

That said, I'm sure an attractive carafe would be a nice touch.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by dtremit
I'm going to disagree here -- to my mind, this is a positive change. I prefer to avoid imported bottled water due to the environmental waste it represents, and having an option for eco-friendly sparkling water is a big plus to me. And it's in keeping with the many high-end restaurants that are now starting to filter and carbonate water in-house.

That said, I'm sure an attractive carafe would be a nice touch.
Actually I hear you and appreciate/respect your thought/efforts.
It would be a good thing except that folks that are serious water drinkers don't want water out of a tap anymore than a wine drinker would want their wine out of a rubber hose.Why not put diet coke,coke,soft drinks on the fountain?
Its the glass/purity that is the refreshing experience as much as the final pure taste with water.
Though this is all an excellent thought its far from a solution to everything thats troubling with our environment.

My experience with Hyatts and restuarants in and outside of Hyatts with some of these iniatives is they dont work for a variety of reasons
In once such Hyatt thet brought back branded bottled water simply because the house made was inconsistent and inferior in quality to the branded waters.

Some folks drive gas guzzling SUVs some drive fuel efficient cars.Some folks drink out of a water fountain at a gym others carry bottled water.Many eat red meat also concerns to the enviroment.Where do you draw the line?

At the end of the day its about personal choice until better solutions are thought out.
If one can help the enviornment great but not at the expense of ones preference/enjoyment.
Call me the ugly American here but until the water police and accounting departments come up with a great substitute I am sticking with my Pelligrino and Perrier story Still buying it by the case
Sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.