FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/522096-hyatt-regency-vancouver-review-master-thread.html)

azepine00 Apr 9, 2010 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic (Post 13742412)
Just want to mention that I had direct follow up today from a staff member who saw this post.

Truly exceptional. :D

Just want to say hi to HR YVR staff member ;)

soonerfanatic Apr 10, 2010 8:20 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 13742887)

:D And a lurker with no posts.

Brilliant.

Why don't other hotel properties do the same? Pretty simple and easy solution to take care of CS issues in a proactive manner, as well as be on the "know" for all other Hyatt brand and property specific topics.

Any travel industry related consultants should make this a priority - Educate your GM's to monitor flyertalk. ;) ^

luxury Apr 12, 2010 9:01 am

The old coffee shop area is now curtained off and some light construction sounds were emanating from there. Looks like the Starbucks will be opening shortly.....

Belly in the Air Apr 14, 2010 11:14 am

Starbucks confirmed! Opening in middle of May... I am very impressed with the minimal noise pollution from the construction.

gregorygrady Apr 17, 2010 6:21 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady (Post 13738256)
+1. Too much work. Just a warning though to anybody else here that stays at HR Vancouver. DO NOT take their survey that supposedly gives you 2k points as you WILL NOT get your points. So the survey will be a complete waste of your time. :td::td::td::td:

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic (Post 13742412)
Just want to mention that I had direct follow up today from a staff member who saw this post.

Truly exceptional. :D

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 13742887)

Well, I guess my whining above was good for something afterall. :p Within 24 hours of my post here last week I too received an e-mail from a Manager at HR Vancouver saying that they had been having a problem posting these Sales Survey 2k bonus pts and to provide them with my info so they could get it credited. ^ Needless to say I'm quite impressed with the quick response. Of course it would have been nice to get the points right off the bat, but as long as I get them that's what matters in the end. And it was certainly nice of them to contact me (and some others it seems) so quickly, probably they may have been notified by GP Concierge, if so thanks for the push GP Concierge.........^

skywalkerLAX Apr 20, 2010 3:09 pm

I wonder how it is... can anyone confirm what has changed after renovation of the Regency Club ?

I hated that it was closed for so long and used the Fairmont Vancouver in the meanwhile whenever I needed a hotel in YVR.

kind of a big deal Apr 29, 2010 5:29 pm

I have been trying to post pics of the new RCL but am having technical difficulties...
Program smarter than operator syndrome.

Gutted and rebuilt with new furniture... :D
The room is beautiful and reflects the look of the rooms with a community long table, window bar, gorgeous little kitchen and 2 large 60" TVs ( I think that is the correct size..). Very comfortable and still has private areas to sit at..

gijoe24jp Jun 1, 2010 7:15 pm

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights during the Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Vancouver next to Burrard Station (SkyTrain) on the Millennium/Expo Line. However, if you are coming from the airport, it is better to get off at Vancouver City Centre Station on the Canada Line to avoid the long walk at Waterfront Station for the transfer. Vancouver City Centre station is only 3~5 minutes away from the hotel by foot. There's a Starbucks in the lobby and Tim Horton/McDonalds, which open 24 hrs, are located next door.

Checked in the hotel at 11am and was told the room they blocked for me was not ready. Instead, Honda, the front desk staff, gave me a room with balcony on the 32nd floor and walked with me to the elevator. I am impressed with this courteous move!

Room
The room was spacious and comfortable. Balcony has nice view of the city and the Fairmont Hotel. There's also an umbrella in every room, which was very useful during my stay since it rained most of the time. Anyway, what I like the most about the room is the bed! It's definitely one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on, and I wish I could have one of those at home! On the other hand, what I dislike is the shower head. I have never seen such a stupidly designed shower head in my life. With this design, one cannot get a decent shower unless getting one's hair wet. Very strange and impractical. Stick with the conventional shower head, Hyatt.

Regency Club
I visited the RC three times during my stay. Once during the evening hors d'oeuvre time, once during the cookie and drink time, and once during breakfast. The evening hors d'oeuvre was nothing to write home about. Other than the usual cheese, crackers, and olives, they also served some snacks such as crab meat on baguette. I still like the RC at HR SF the best. Breakfast was OK - pastry, bagel, bread, cereal, and smoked salmon. Unfortunately, no hot dishes such as bacon, sausage, or egg. Kay, the concierge at RC, was extremely friendly and hardworking. She thank everyone at the RC for coming and tried her best to cater everyone's request. Two thumbs up!

Overall Impression
This is a very good Hyatt hotel and is probably the best category 2 hotel and a bargain at 8000 points a night (before 6/4/2010). Location is unbeatable, service is impeccable. What else can I ask for? Vancouver is a charming city and I will definitely come back again.

My rating: (out of 5)

Price: N/A (Points)
Service: ★★★★★
RC: ★★★
Room: ★★★★★ (bed), ★★ (shower)
Overall: ★★★★

nnn Jun 7, 2010 11:43 am

Can anyone comment on the HR Vancouver vs. Four Seasons Vancouver? I understand that the locations are about the same. But in terms of hotel quality, is there a huge difference, or not too far off? If I'd get a free buffet breakfast staying at either hotel, is there a big difference between the two breakfasts?

Many thanks.

luxury Jun 7, 2010 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 14091986)
Can anyone comment on the HR Vancouver vs. Four Seasons Vancouver? I understand that the locations are about the same. But in terms of hotel quality, is there a huge difference, or not too far off? If I'd get a free buffet breakfast staying at either hotel, is there a big difference between the two breakfasts?

Many thanks.

I think the rooms are a tie between the two -- though the FS have larger tv's. The Hyatt have more modern bathrooms but I prefer the strong water pressure old school bathrooms of the FS. The service is very very good for a Hyatt but it is hard to beat the FS service wise. Hands down, the FS breakfast is miles superior to that of the Hyatt, though the Hyatt offering is still pretty good. If you go to the Luxury Hotels forum and search for a Preferred Partner Travel Agent/Agency, they can get you some added amenities at the Four Seasons (breakfast for two, upgrade if available at check-in, and a once per stay lunch credit).

luxury Jun 7, 2010 10:44 pm

Since the floors of our house were being refinished we spent an overnight at the hotel. Due to the hotel being sold out, being a Diamond and repeat guest we were upgraded to a large Executive suite on the 33rd floor.

The suite was huge taking up virtually a whole side of the hotel, in this case, the south side overlooking Georgia and Burrard Streets and English Bay. This Executive suite is the largest suite in the hotel (larger than the 2 Presidential Suites) with 2.5 bathrooms, larger Master bedroom, two sitting areas, wet bar area, and a dining area with a table seating 8.

Despite being a full house the staff were top notch and I cannot say enough about the Front Office staff and the Regency Club Concierge team. This hotel is quickly becoming my 2nd favourite hotel in the city.

TRAVELSIG Jun 8, 2010 10:24 am

Originally Posted by luxury (Post 14095251)
Despite being a full house the staff were top notch and I cannot say enough about the Front Office staff and the Regency Club Concierge team. This hotel is quickly becoming my 2nd favourite hotel in the city.

Which is your first?

VIT-B Jun 8, 2010 11:21 am

I have stayed many times over the last 6 years at the Vancouver Hyatt Regency, including 3 different times this spring (last stay 2 weeks ago). I've seen this hotel transform from a dumpy hotel (in my opinion) to the best Category 2 hotel. The customer service is the best of any Hyatt that I've have stayed at. The rooms and suites are good size, with a modern decor. Location, Price, Service...5 stars! If you ever just want a quick over-night or weekend road-trip getaway, this is the place.

mitsou_jpn Jun 8, 2010 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by VIT-B (Post 14098500)
I've seen this hotel transform from a dumpy hotel (in my opinion) to the best Category 2 hotel.

Too bad it is now a Category 3 hotel... :(

nnn Jun 8, 2010 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by luxury (Post 14095200)
Hands down, the FS breakfast is miles superior to that of the Hyatt, though the Hyatt offering is still pretty good.

Thanks for the information. While the Hyatt is considerably cheaper (even including FSPP benefits), the Hyatt breakfast is what makes me hesitate. I am taking the extended family and would like a nice experience. I'm not expecting the Hualalai, of course, but the difference between a mediocre breakfast and a great breakfast means a lot to me.