FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/522096-hyatt-regency-vancouver-review-master-thread.html)

RichardInSF Sep 30, 2011 10:41 am

Originally Posted by immiLawyer (Post 17197657)
No duty to disclose. Did you ask?
:)

I just took the SkyTrain map up to the GP area of the desk and said, "I need a little help figuring this out. Where are we, and where do I go to get tickets?"

The desk clerk replied, "the station is across the street, but we have a bunch of tickets here if you need them since you're a Diamond."
;)

Oh, and sorry about the GPP confusion - I typed one too many Ps.

I disagree, I don't expect to have to guess at all of a hotel's services.

immiLawyer Sep 30, 2011 11:08 am

To each his own, I guess.

That's the difference between being proactive and reactive.

Happy Travels.

peteropny Sep 30, 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 17199073)
I disagree, I don't expect to have to guess at all of a hotel's services.

On the one hand I agree with this.

On the other for this type of "extra" which is above and beyond Hyatt T&Cs, I can understand you only give to those who specifically ask. While train tickets aren't expensive individually, if you start giving them away to every Diamond (whether or not they'll even use them), the expense adds up.

Some other "unpublished" benefits that I can think of off the top of my head are the health club access at HR Century Plaza (Equinox) and Hyatt at the Bellevue (Philadelphia - the Sporting Club at the Bellevue) which is charged to "regular" guests but "free" to Diamonds. These are upscale membership health clubs that the properties have to pay something for access.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Oct 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Sky Train Canada line

May I get a clarification? From YVR I will take the SkyTrain's Canada Line to downtown. Which stop without changing lines nearest Hyatt? From that point walking directions please? I should purchase a 10 pack of fare saver tickets from 7 Eleven YVR to avoid the YVR $5 upcharge. Any other items appreciated. Thanks.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Oct 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Free hand notes.

Much has been written so I will update with what I had ?s on.

Upon arrival look for the signs at YVR for the Canada Line. I used the machine to purchase my ticket as the info agent told me it was a 10 minute walk the the domestic terminal and 7 Eleven. To reach the Hyatt without taking a connection you will stop at Vancouver City Centre. When you exit the way out break a hard left and walk towards Burrard Street. You will see the Hyatt on your right next to a RBC building.

The staff is really friendly esp in the Lounge. Offering up information and a discount coupon for the Hop On Hop Off. But I am going to walk around and take the public transportation. My room was blocked with a "do not move" so I accepted what I was given. Not a bad room but someone needs to order more flat panels to fill the wall.

I called down asking for a later check-out and was advised my key had already been coded for 2 PM but if I wanted later no problem. Just have to stop by the front desk. The girls in the Lounge- Kay and Alison introduced themselves and had already left a couple bottles of water in my room. They are a happy bunch.

Less than $20 CDN out of pocket so far plus lunch. After my Canada Line ride from YVR. Walked down Burrard towards the Water. Decided that I would like to take the water shuttle to North Vancouver. A 90 minute zone 2 ticket was $3.75. While down near Canada Place had a nice lunch on the water at Mahony & Son. That was less than $24 on my credit card. Walked into Old Town and Chinatown. Not really that exciting. Old Town in Sacramento is better and Chinatown in San Francisco is much better. On the way back stopped at Jugo Juice which set me back a little more than $6. I've had a nice time walking around and will come up with something interesting for tomorrow.

The Club has cookies out and the frig is open. Sodas and bottled waters.

I would say the Lounge evening offer was sparse aka light. Cheese, cracker board, veggies, salmon on toast so forth. A little DO plus one later seeing a local FTer. I was wondering why people were coming to the Lounge with their PCs to Skype. I've had ok internet speed but not downloading anything.

Last night the fire alarm sounded in the entire hotel. The hotel has no idea what caused them to sound. Apology letter this morning under door.

As noted before the in ceiling shower head is a joke. The tub has such good pressure but the ceiling system has greatly reduced pressure. Hard to feel totally rinsed using that.

The Mosaic buffet breakfast was marginal. The food was starting to be over-cooked being out on the buffet line for so long. The "Asian" offerings were very limited and the white rice was over cooked also. At $20 plus better to try Tim Horton's next door.

These last three items make the stay common.

Richey66 Oct 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Agree that lounge ladies are great. Had a good stay also, using confirmed suite upgrade. internet connection could be faster though, no way it could be called high-speed in Europe. Except lounge computers , which they have forgot to limit: so got 75Mb downloads there :d

azepine00 Oct 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE (Post 17274966)
... Walked into Old Town and Chinatown. Not really that exciting. Old Town in Sacramento is better and Chinatown in San Francisco is much better. ..

This discussion belongs to Canada forum but i have to note that the real chinatown (in a modern rather than traditional sense) is Richmond. Skytrain goes there if you have time. On the other end of seabus ride there is plenty of ethnic fast food (some quite decent) and your ticket duration allows enough time to have a couple scenic crossings as well as a snack there.
Overall Vancouver has a great selection of food that easily rivals SF IMO but again this discussion probably doesn't belong to hyatt thread.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Oct 14, 2011 11:38 pm

I did start this with "free hand notes". Sure they will be of some value. Thanks for your comments. Caught the Richmond thing this evening from the local FTer.

bl540611 Oct 16, 2011 12:16 am

I don't think that's possible...the City Center Canada Line Station stops nowhere near the RBC building. I think you're getting the Canada Line and the Skytrain mixed up! If you stopped at City Center, you would have to walk a block and a half till you hit Burrad and then walk half a block till you hit the Hyatt. There is a skytrain station (Burrad Station) that is directly adjacent to the Hyatt. Take the Canada Line from YVR all the way to Waterfront Station and get on the Expo or Millenium Lines. The next station is Burrard and that's the station that's directly next to the hotel. Vancouver City Center. That might be easier

[QUOTE=RTWSTARALLIANCE;17274966]Much has been written so I will update with what I had ?s on.

Upon arrival look for the signs at YVR for the Canada Line. I used the machine to purchase my ticket as the info agent told me it was a 10 minute walk the the domestic terminal and 7 Eleven. To reach the Hyatt without taking a connection you will stop at Vancouver City Centre. When you exit the way out break a hard left and walk towards Burrard Street. You will see the Hyatt on your right next to a RBC building.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Oct 16, 2011 7:32 am

I did confirm this again. Upon reaching Burrard and looking to the right you see the Hyatt. Just to the left of it is a building with a RBC logo atop. That logo is pretty distinctive. Both of our directions will get someone to the Hyatt. Thanks.

VA1379 Oct 16, 2011 1:32 pm

I love this property. The location is great for taking the subway or bus. They have a 143 bus that goes to the UBC campus, and the Anthropology museum there is amazing.

The women in the RC are great for restaurant recommendations/reservations and giving directions and suggestions for various places to visit. They will help RC guests book reservations for day trips.

mclachlan4321 Oct 17, 2011 9:33 am

How do you book Regency club rooms at this property?

every date I check going out months never has any on offer....?

VA1379 Oct 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Are you looking in the winter months or around Christmas? This property closes the RC on weekends in the winter months & for a few weeks around Christmas.

rajuabju Oct 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Well, my plans to mexico just got cancelled... and I needed to use my alaska airlines miles... so Vancouver it is this weekend!

Looking forward to staying at this Hyatt, Fri-Sun... if any fellow FT'ers will be there let me know, I'll look for you in the lounge :)

luxury Nov 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Just completed a stay this past weekend -- due to a large conference at the hotel we were upgraded to an Executive suite on the 33rd floor. Good stay as always.

Toiletries in the master bath were Gilchrist and Soames. The guest powder room now has a stylish silver hand pump dispenser for soap. At turn down, two bottles of VOSS water were left as opposed to the single bottle in the past.

The Regency Club will be closed the first 2 weekends of December and then all week long from after the second weekend through to mid-January. This is a great time to rack up RC closure points.