Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Morristown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Morristown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Call The Hotel

Cafelatte, you should place a call to the General Manager and let him or his assistant know of your experience. I know him many years now. While he can't do anything about the thickness of the walls, he will want to hear your opinions on things like the food, and especially the comment about the half roll of toilet paper in the bathroom. Though the rooms haven't been done yet, that's a basic housekeeping issue any manager would want to hear about. He was put in this property specifically for the conversion from the former property. His tenure began long before Hyatt would allow the hotel to be branded a Hyatt property, and the public areas were only the first of many upgrades he told me about. The entire hotel is being redone to be a fine example of a Hyatt, and I guarantee you that the GM wants to know about bumps in the road, particularly from GP members. Give the hotel a call and ask for his name. If he's unavailable, either speak to his assistant or ask for his voice mail. He does respond to comments.

edited to note that the op is from the UK and a phone call might not be convenient. If you are interested in contacting him, pm me and I will give you the info.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:57 am

Hi Shinbal, would appreciate a PM with the GM's contact details. There are a couple of other matters I would like to raise with him, so an email address if you have it would be appreciated.

Many thanks! ^
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I stayed here recently as well. The room was a good size but the bathroom, although clean and in ok shape, was showing it's age - I did get a full roll of toilet paper! There was a separate area before the door to my room I had and the one beside me such that you could close the door to keep some of the hallway noise out. I didn't bother and I didn't find noise to be an issue. However, my heater made a strange clicking noise throughout the night and I eventually shut it off. I mentioned this at checkout and they apologized and said they'd send an engineer up to look at it.

The person at reception mentioned that a Club lounge will open in January.

As you walk in to the hotel, there's a bar over to the right - it was quite busy and everyone was smoking so all I could smell was smoke as I walked into the lobby to check in since the bar is in an open, unwalled area.

The breakfast was buffet style and I found it to be as good or better than the buffet at the Hyatt Deerfield included cereal, pastries, large bagels, smoked salmon and for hot foods - scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausages, bacon, and pancakes. The service was OK but nothing special - the waiters didn't seem too on the ball serving other tables.

Underground self parking was free and valet was $15

When I checked out, I asked about the G3 points and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. They said they would give me 1500 points for a "new hotel" promo (code NH) but they only give this to people who ask for it. They also offered a G1 since they couldn't help with G3. So 3500 points for one night and my final bill showed NH 1500 new hotel, G1 (1000), and W1 (the 1000 pt amenity).

The hotel is a little tricky to find as it's not immediately off of a freeway so I'd recommend bringing decent directions if you're driving.

I would stay at this hotel again if in the Morristown area but I probably wouldn't go too far out of my way to stay here.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:27 pm

What did this hotel used to be? Also, when did it become a Hyatt? I was trying to find a hotel around Morristown for a party last May, and ended up, unfortunately, at a Hampton Inn where they had reserved rooms.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by aa4ever
What did this hotel used to be? Also, when did it become a Hyatt? I was trying to find a hotel around Morristown for a party last May, and ended up, unfortunately, at a Hampton Inn where they had reserved rooms.
It used to be called the Headquarters Plaza Hotel. Seems that it was taken over by Hyatt during the latter part of last year.

CL
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I just 'stayed' at the Hyatt Morristown on a quasi Hyatt Card/stay run for $91 a night (AAA rate). The lobby is very modern/W-ish like, and the staff at check in was eager to be of help, although a bit clueless. I parked in a spot across the street from the hotel to avoid the parkng charge, but at check in, they asked if I had used the attached garage so they could stamp my parking voucher (so I'm not sure if it is free or not ???). After a couple of attempts, they did find the Hyatt Gift Card, but asked if I wanted to apply it to my current stay (no, I did not), they also gave me the Diamond amenity card (I chose the points), and when the Manager came out, he said since it was a new hotel, I would get the 1500 additional points. As the RC was closed on the weekend, they gave me a cert for a full american breakfast. I walked by the bar/lounge area on my way to the elevators and it appeared to be a fairly fun/hip area (this at 3pm on a Sat afternoon ). All 'coolness' ended at the elevators up to the rooms where the 'old style Headquarters Hotel' took over. The elevators were dark and had some sort of heavy fabric on the walls. At my floor, the lack of amibance continued, and while my room had a new bed with nice/modern linens, the rest of the room was dated and dreary. The bath was small & dark-- lucky I wasn't really staying there, merely checking out the property. My floor had a closed RC, but you could see into it, and it didn't appear to be anything special. All in all, unless I need it for stay credit, I'll keep to the closer NB Hyatt for my hotel credit / stay runs.

Last edited by mauld; Feb 5, 2006 at 5:10 pm
Old May 26, 2006, 2:03 am
Suspended

Since the Regency Jersey City is thrice as expensive as the one in Morristown for an upcoming stay, I might choose the Hyatt Morristown.
( need to drive north for a couple of hours anyway, so the acess to I 287 and 87 seems to be solid )

Can I assume that the Regency Club is closed on weekends, based on the last post ? I would stay on a sunday.

Did anybody score an upgrade to a nice suite when the RC was closed ?

Thanks in advance !
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:54 pm

This was the HQ Headqusrters Plaza Hotel. Frankly, it is worth getting this hotel on a PL stay of about $55. Check the bidding sites for recent bidding data. I would never pay even Hyatt AAA rate for this 'hotel'.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, United Premier
Back from my stay...a brief report. Booked a Deluxe King online for 87/night AAA. Later called Platinum line to add a second KING room...requesting adjoining or as close on same floor as possible. When we checked in (2 couples), we had adjoining rooms...a deluxe king and a second with 2 doubles. We said that was not what we requested...they eventually found us 1401 and 1402...adjoining, both kings.

The hotel is somewhat dated and needs some renovation, no doubt...but our rooms were nice, clean, quiet, pleasant. For 87 per night, no complaints...we enjoyed our stay! Perhaps other floors/rooms are not nearly as nice...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: HGP Platinum, SPG
Any recent stays?

Just curious if anyone has any recent stay updates. My husband and I are planning on staying here for a FFN mattress run. Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 4:52 am

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sassable
Just curious if anyone has any recent stay updates. My husband and I are planning on staying here for a FFN mattress run. Thanks!
I was there last week. Not much has changed from the posts above, except that the bedding appeared to be more up to date. Also, I'm fairly certain that they don't have a Regency Club....Diamond members just get a breakfast certificate.

Only real negative was that the elevators were in a teriible state of disrepair - to the extent that most guests were taking the stairs and joking about it. Hopefully they've called in the folks from Otis to fix them.

If it is 1/3 the price of Jersey City, it's probably 1/2 of the hotel.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:42 am

As of Late

Having completed a stay at the Morristown Hyatt, just updating this thread. This is my first review so here goes:

Check In was efficient and painless. Did not have to request Diamond Amenity Card. I chose the points and glad I did. I was also asked if I had left my car in the parking garage. I had. The FD clerk asked for my ticket so he could validate it. I am unsure as to whether this is for all guest or just elites.
No RC lounge, I was given breakfast coupons good for the buffet. In the lobby they have a display of what the renovations will look like. The elevators is still in a sad state. One started "talking" to us on our way out explaining the features of the hotel (restaurant, bar, common area w/papers on each floor).

The room I was given was clean and in order but seriously outdated. No surprise having read previous threads prior to arrival. The hotel appeared to be very full which leads me to believe there were slim pickings for a "best available room". Especially since I initally booked a king, and at the last minute, was accompanied by my mother and called a day in advance to see if they could switch my res. to a double. The bathroom was my main "pain". The sink was stained beyond cleaning. The tub's faucet and knobs were rusted making it hard to turn on the water. The knob to switch to shower mode was broken in half. It appeared to be a sawed off screw. When it did, the shower head made a weird gurgling, vibrating, squeaking sound. It sounded as if at any moment the head was going to fall off and hit me in the head.

Arriving late we opted to order food from the hotel restaurant and carry it back to our room, even though there seemed to be a ample choices for nightlife. Everything from Mexican, Carribbean, Italian, down to a Burger King. I ordered an asian glazed salmon and asian veggie dish, my mother opted for a shrimp,feta,tomato parpadelli. We were told these were both good choices. The food was prepared quickly and smelled great on our way back up. To our disappointment it wasn't very appetizing. The "sauce" on my mother's pasta was literally water and a maybe a bit of olive oil that had turned white from running off the feta.

Breakfast buffet the next morning was mediocre. Usual fruits, bagels, cereal, etc. They presented waffles on the table on a hot plate. They stayed there so long they were very dry even with syrup. Mom adored their hot chocolate our server suggested she try. I enjoyed their signature seasoned potatoes.

I must say. The service there is very good as well. Staff genuinely smiling and eager to greet and assist with everything: bags, check in/out and the restaurant even help finding a parking spot in the garage (non valet). All of the appropriate points, stay credit, FFN Credit, and even the G Bonus posted the next day. Record time that I have seen. All in all, I would definitely stay again after everything has been completed. For the right price, G Bonus, and just for an overnight, I'd stay sooner. Where the structure (and food) lacked the staff truly stepped up.^
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
just completed a two night stay

I just checked out this morning. I had a two night stay for $121/night on a RETURN promo rate. I have to agree with everything on this thread so far. The common areas of the lobby and restaurant/bar are quite nice. The staff was attentive. But, the rooms are horribly outdated, especially the bathrooms and the TV. I was given room 501, which is a large sized king room. While the room was a nice size, the walls are very thin and I could hear the people speaking in the adjoining room. Parking is still free if you park in the garage and get your ticket validated by the front desk.
There was a note in the room that renovations had started in March. After these are completed, the hotel should be quite nice.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Renovated rooms

I spent a night here on 10/3/09 in quest of an FFN. I was assigned room 1506 which is a newly renovated corner king room. The front desk staf told me they are about 50% complete with room renovations. On first view the renovation is very nice and done in the ubiquitous new modern Hyatt/Westin style. Room layout has been changed so that the bed no longer faces the window. It now points towards the far wall where the 32” lcd TV is mounted. Between the bed and the TV is a seating area consisting of a small sofa, 2 chairs and a coffee table (so the TV is pretty far away). Unfortunately, in room 1506 at least, the quality of the renovation work is rather poor. If this level of quality were done in my home I’d spontaneously combust. Other negatives are very poor sound insulation of connecting doors (which I think all of the corner rooms have), and very poor sound insulation everywhere else for that matter, and the window mounted A/C units that are fairly noisy. The rooms definitely have a more modern look now, but I hope 1506 is a quality anomaly.

Last edited by schriste; Apr 25, 2010 at 6:34 am
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I stayed here about a dozen times last Fall on weekend rates of about $79 or so. For that price it was well worth the stay just to earn the FFN credit, but if I were paying a week-day rate (which is typically several hundred dollars) I would say the place is not worth the cost. The rooms are okay, not great but not horrible. They do treat diamonds relatively well, always giving me a corner room and free breakfast, and the restaurant staff is very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.