Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What do you tip for the Diamond Amenity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you tip for the Diamond Amenity?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Tipping has gotten so out of hand in the US it isn't even funny.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by attorney28
It has been out of control for a long time. I recall a segment on a weekly news magazine show (60 minutes or similar) that aired well over 10 years ago on the topic. As a test they dressed a guy up in a doorman like getup and stood him next to the exit area of a parking lot. As parkers walked buy a surprising number tipped him even though he did absolutely nothing.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Isn't the amenity free? So you round up to 1 dollar?
Touche. I was thinking of room service where the service charge is automatically added to the bill, but there's still a line for "tip."
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mikew99
I haven't yet given a tip for any in-room Hyatt amenity. In fact, I'm shocked to see this thread and wonder whether I should have been tipping all along!
No you shouldn't. Hyatt covers the tip for diamond amenities (which I rarely choose, given wait times and variable quality).
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:59 pm

Yes, and it rarely improves the poor service delivery in the U.S. (about the worst of any developed country). Nothing substitutes for proper wages, benefits, and social services delivered on a national scale, not to mention politeness at all levels of society.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tummy
Most of the time they run out so fast that I can't get to my cash in time.
Sure they do.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, IHG - Platinum, Hyatt - Globalist, CC - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, BW - Platinum S
Hotel gives you tips for being loyal and you tip them back...wow...great culture..
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by silverfalls
Hotel gives you tips for being loyal and you tip them back...wow...great culture..
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:49 am

Now how does this apply to complimentary breakfast certificate? I would think that if you get free breakfast, you should tip the waiter/waitress, no? Is this any different for NA Hyatts vs Internationl Hyatts?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:53 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Loc13
Now how does this apply to complimentary breakfast certificate? I would think that if you get free breakfast, you should tip the waiter/waitress, no? Is this any different for NA Hyatts vs Internationl Hyatts?
More and more, you don't get a "coupon" for breakfast - you just sign the breakfast check to your room and then it's taken off your folio (either automatically or manually). If this is the case, I'll write in the usual amount for a tip - sometimes I'm charged for the tip sometimes not. Under the "old" coupon system, I'd leave some money - $5-10 cash for the tip. This is for domestic Hyatts. For International properties, I'd so what is customary locally.

This is just my personal preference, since some of the "coupons" said gratuity is paid some said not included.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
More and more, you don't get a "coupon" for breakfast - you just sign the breakfast check to your room and then it's taken off your folio (either automatically or manually). If this is the case, I'll write in the usual amount for a tip - sometimes I'm charged for the tip sometimes not. Under the "old" coupon system, I'd leave some money - $5-10 cash for the tip. This is for domestic Hyatts. For International properties, I'd so what is customary locally.

This is just my personal preference, since some of the "coupons" said gratuity is paid some said not included.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. ^
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
For me it's not about Hyatt giving me an amenity - it's about a server's time to deliver said amenity. That server's time has value and he/she does not get an extra amount in their pay for amenity service. Plus, aren't most of us FT's a little better off than room service employees - we should be generous.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
Sorry for the off-topic post (I didn't want to start a new thread), but how much do folks generally tip when using the courtesy car offered at some PH properties?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Good Lord! the server gets paid for his time by the hotel. Its his job to deliver the amenity. Only Americans would feel some obligation to tip.
Thank goodness the tipping culture hasn't reached Australia in such an absurd fashion.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Gold Passport reimburses the hotel for the amenity, including gratuity. I found out when the check was accidentally left with the amenity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.