Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

My concierge messed up my original cash booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)

I booked 3 nights for my late January Italian trip with cash (great rate, also the last room with this rate) a few months ago, during the weekend I asked my concierge to apply suite upgrade. She cancelled my original cash booking and rebooked using points with suite upgrade cleared. Now the cash rate has increased 50 percent. I calculated I got less than 1.5 cents (about 1.4 cents) per point with this redemption, not a good value.

The thing is my concierge is super nice and always helpful, I really don't want her feeling bad.

What can I do? I may have to swallow this, I guess.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by tomwhom
I booked 3 nights for my late January Italian trip with cash (great rate, also the last room with this rate) a few months ago, during the weekend I asked my concierge to apply suite upgrade. She cancelled my original cash booking and rebooked using points with suite upgrade cleared. Now the cash rate has increased 50 percent. I calculated I got less than 1.5 cents (about 1.4 cents) per point with this redemption, not a good value.

The thing is my concierge is super nice and always helpful, I really don't want her feeling bad.

What can I do? I may have to swallow this, I guess.
Are you saying she rebooked using points (instead of cash) without your approval? But you wanted to use cash? Then Hyatt should honor the original rate. However, do understand that when Suite nights are applied the cash rate jumps to the suite night rate (can be up 50%) and then another team (not your concierge) reduces the cash rate back to the original rate some days later. Sometimes they are quite backed up and it takes a little longer than a few days.
Matt4200 and tomwhom like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Are you saying she rebooked using points (instead of cash) without your approval? But you wanted to use cash? Then Hyatt should honor the original rate. However, do understand that when Suite nights are applied the cash rate jumps to the suite night rate (can be up 50%) and then another team (not your concierge) reduces the cash rate back to the original rate some days later. Sometimes they are quite backed up and it takes a little longer than a few days.
Yes she rebooked using points without my approval.

I booked 3N with cash a few months ago.

I'm not sure why she had to cancel original booking in order to apply suite upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Yes she rebooked using points without my approval.

I booked 3N with cash a few months ago.

I'm not sure why she had to cancel original booking in order to apply suite upgrade.
For cash bookings, they do modify the original booking to apply the suite (which is why the rate jumps). Obv in this case your concierge misunderstood and swapped to a points booking. She will likely be able to utilize the original cash rate (of which you have a conf email) and re-instate the booking (although this may require a call to the property to have them reinstate it). Just reach out to your concierge to explain the mistake and see if she can get the old reservation re-instated.

I have re-instated cancelled bookings before (albeit they did require property approval).
tomwhom likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 3:11 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
This sounds like something that you can massage with some effusive thanks for the effort (and their general work) and making a point of blaming yourself for previously being unclear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.