Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Standard Room Availability but No Award Availability

Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Hey all. I'm looking at a property during a major sporting event weekend and noticed standard room availability but no award availability. My understanding was if a standard room is available, then a Hyatt award night should also be available. Is this no longer correct? The exact message from the rep is below.

There is a special city event on that day. The hotels do have the ability to block the use of points for certain events. That is what is happening in this case.
I can give the exact hotel and dates if necessary but if anyone has any suggestions for getting them to book, it would be appreciated.
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by apjules
Hey all. I'm looking at a property during a major sporting event weekend and noticed standard room availability but no award availability. My understanding was if a standard room is available, then a Hyatt award night should also be available. Is this no longer correct? The exact message from the rep is below.

I can give the exact hotel and dates if necessary but if anyone has any suggestions for getting them to book, it would be appreciated.
The only way I can think of is to get The Event people to cancel the event and then Award Stays will be allowed, other then that try and see if theres another Hyatt close by that hasnt invoked The Event clause, otherwise you are so SOL
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:01 pm

Who is the rep? The hotel rep? Or Hyatt CS?

This should not be the case. If it is an actual base room then it should be bookable with points. I've had success notifying Hyatt CS, who then reached out to the hotel and, voila, magically created award space for me. If this message came from a Hyatt rep then I'd HUCA
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by projectmaximus

This should not be the case. If it is an actual base room then it should be bookable with points. I've had success notifying Hyatt CS, who then reached out to the hotel and, voila, magically created award space for me. If this message came from a Hyatt rep then I'd HUCA
This was just through the Hyatt chat in the app. Sounds like maybe there's hope if I HUCA
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:33 pm

That reason has been a part of the Hyatt rules for a long time as far as i know. That's what i was told many years ago in a similar situation with San Diego comic con at the Manchester Grand. I was told by my diamond rep at the time that hotels are allowed a limited number of days for special events to not open awards even with rooms for sale.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antonius66
That reason has been a part of the Hyatt rules for a long time as far as i know. That's what i was told many years ago in a similar situation with San Diego comic con at the Manchester Grand. I was told by my diamond rep at the time that hotels are allowed a limited number of days for special events to not open awards even with rooms for sale.
Gotcha, that's news to me. Bummer
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:01 pm
Suspended

I believe that Hilton and Marriott also have such a clause where they give a limited # of days where An Event can be invoked and not only does the Hotel need not offer any award stays they can also reject any member from Invoking the benefit of not being denied a room at a soldout hotel

OP it doesnt hurt to try but if I was you I wouldnt be holding my breath, your best bet is to either find a place with any hotel that would cost you less $$ or stay a good driving distance away if a free night or cheap rates is what you want.Im sure if that Hyatt hotel isnt allowing an award stay due to The Event that HH.MR and IHG ++ arent either
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:26 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Are you certain it's a "Standard-room" that you are seeing, and not another room category at the "Standa Rate"?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
You could also be looking at minimum night requirements. Have you tried adding a night? While it may not be ideal, sometimes the extra points required for that extra night might still generate significant dollar costs savings depending on the event.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skj
Are you certain it's a "Standard-room" that you are seeing, and not another room category at the "Standa Rate"?
Yep
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tigerwong
You could also be looking at minimum night requirements. Have you tried adding a night? While it may not be ideal, sometimes the extra points required for that extra night might still generate significant dollar costs savings depending on the event.
Ok this is great advice and actually kinda worked. Suite nights on points showed up if I added more days, unfortunately though these just dont work for my schedule. Also only suite nights and points and cash (which honestly werent bad) did show up too. I went from looking at one night at a time for two nights (Friday and Saturday) to 4+ nights starting Thursday/Weds. I have another option not far away that I have booked already so its not a huge loss but hotels are 1000 per night or mostly sold out for the weekend so using free nights would be super valuable.
tigerwong likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by apjules
Ok this is great advice and actually kinda worked. Suite nights on points showed up if I added more days, unfortunately though these just dont work for my schedule. Also only suite nights and points and cash (which honestly werent bad) did show up too. I went from looking at one night at a time for two nights (Friday and Saturday) to 4+ nights starting Thursday/Weds. I have another option not far away that I have booked already so its not a huge loss but hotels are 1000 per night or mostly sold out for the weekend so using free nights would be super valuable.
well if you have enough points book the suite for the # of nights you have to to get it,making sure that you can cancel the res w/o penalty. Then call up Hyatt after booking it to drop the days you dont want and see if the days you do want still remain intact. If the agent says sorry if you drop those dates its not available just tell them to CX the whole res and go with your backup, nothing gained or lost.

Repeating myself make sure you look at the CX policy and that you can cancel it should you not beable to drop off the dates that dont work for you, so if you are looking to stay 5/2-4 and it says Cancel 30 days before DONT BOOK IT and go with Plan B. If it says 7 days before well then book it but get a screen shot of the CX T&Cs and /or print it out just in case something hits the fan when you go to CX and are told Sorry theres a 30 day policy, you'll hav ethe proof taht when you booked that wasnt the T&Cs
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
I stand corrected, thanks. So "no blackout dates" means "no blackout dates except on blackout dates"
lowfareair likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I stand corrected, thanks. So "no blackout dates" means "no blackout dates except on blackout dates"
According to MHC theres no such thing as blackout dates for award availability. If a standard room is available at the standard rate per Hyatt T&C its bookable as an award stay as well.

MHC force booked a property on points that had no award availability but was selling one type of standard room at the standard rate.

Id definitely like someone to show me the program term that states that properties are allowed blackout dates for award bookings circumventing their own T&C.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4200
According to MHC theres no such thing as blackout dates for award availability. If a standard room is available at the standard rate per Hyatt T&C its bookable as an award stay as well.

MHC force booked a property on points that had no award availability but was selling one type of standard room at the standard rate.

Id definitely like someone to show me the program term that states that properties are allowed blackout dates for award bookings circumventing their own T&C.
I had a concierge do that too once. I called and said I saw the standard room but it wasn't giving me the option to pay with points and she just did it with no discussion.

I also once booked the last room in the GH Tokyo with points, during the rugby world cup (2019?). After I made my points booking, the hotel showed that it was sold out for my dates. I just booked that online; no intervention by the concierge was necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.