Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

When is it worth going out of your way to use points? Mexico City Ritz or Regency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is it worth going out of your way to use points? Mexico City Ritz or Regency

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Hey guys this will be my last year of Titanium so wanted to make the most of it but noticed that even international Ritz Carltons dont offer free breakfast at all no matter what your status is.

Trip will be with my fiance and another couple. We wont be doing any clubbing maybe just a bar or two for drinks after dinner max.

After doing some research and eliminating most of them these are the options remaining for us.

$333/night for the Ritz Carlton Mexico City
-Marriott Titanium
-Corp discount rate

48k points for the Hyatt Regency Polanco
-Hyatt Discoverist
-2.0 cpp with Corp discount
-2.19 cpp without Corp discount

If you were in my shoes would you pay to enjoy your last year of titanium or would you use points to save ~$1000.

Let me know your thoughts!
Old Oct 27, 2023, 1:21 pm

Im not sure how status plays a part in this question. Titanium does not give you any significant benefits at RC, aside from some bonus points, and Discoverist does not give you much at HR. So I just dont see how you would be enjoying this stay at RC this time any more than any other time.

If you feel that RC is objectively a better hotel than HR (which is really what this is about), then its just a question of if the price premium is worth it. The redemption rate for HR is reasonable, IMHO. I know what I would have picked, but it is such a personal choice.

If staying in one vs the other helped you qualify for next year, that would be another point to consider, but you didnt mention that.

Would the cash saved from going with HR help you do something else memorable during the trip, or are you in a position where you dont really care?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 2:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The HR Polanco is far from perfect, but personally I think its often better than the press its got here. The location is also ideal if you intend to explore Polanco, something I would personally recommend. Ive never actually stayed at the RC, but having visited there twice I know I would never actually pay money to stay there. The St Regis isnt perfect, but it appears to be far better.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
You really get 0 benefits at the Ritz (as a Tit myself I understand that an upgrade is theoretically possible but I've never had one and I've been Tit or Ambsince it's existed as a level) so if you don't mind paying cash (or a huge # of points) stay at the St. Regis (which is an awesome hotel, honors benefits for Titanium, and is nicer than the Hyatt).

The Hyatt is perfectly fine and in a great neighborhood (but definitely not luxurious).

My favorite non boutique hotel is the Sofitel. Just amazing all around.

Last edited by dcstudent; Oct 28, 2023 at 7:13 am
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martzipan
Im not sure how status plays a part in this question. Titanium does not give you any significant benefits at RC, aside from some bonus points, and Discoverist does not give you much at HR. So I just dont see how you would be enjoying this stay at RC this time any more than any other time.

If you feel that RC is objectively a better hotel than HR (which is really what this is about), then its just a question of if the price premium is worth it. The redemption rate for HR is reasonable, IMHO. I know what I would have picked, but it is such a personal choice.

If staying in one vs the other helped you qualify for next year, that would be another point to consider, but you didnt mention that.

Would the cash saved from going with HR help you do something else memorable during the trip, or are you in a position where you dont really care?
Titaniums are eligible for suite upgrades at the RC but platinums are not so just want to correct you there.

staying in one or another wouldnt affect status next year. Id be platinum/Discoverist.

what would you have picked?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by chrispycreme561
Titaniums are eligible for suite upgrades at the RC but platinums are not so just want to correct you there.

staying in one or another wouldnt affect status next year. Id be platinum/Discoverist.

what would you have picked?
I would have picked the cheaper points stay at HR, because I find it generally too much of a gamble to place significant importance on a potential suite upgrade.

That said, I dont have any experience with that specific property. Seems others recommend a different Marriott property altogether, if you do want some value out of your status.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martzipan
I would have picked the cheaper points stay at HR, because I find it generally too much of a gamble to place significant importance on a potential suite upgrade.

That said, I dont have any experience with that specific property. Seems others recommend a different Marriott property altogether, if you do want some value out of your status.
hmm some more thought led us to not want to stay in Polanco. We found a four points in Roma that appears to me the most ideal location without the luxury however. Any experience with it?
Old Oct 29, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
You don’t say how many nights….unless I missed it somehow (and I read this twice) but I’m assuming 2 in which case 48K Hyatt points is obscene for the HR and I’d book the RC on cash.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
You dont say how many nights.unless I missed it somehow (and I read this twice) but Im assuming 2 in which case 48K Hyatt points is obscene for the HR and Id book the RC on cash.
Wow good point. This is for 4 nights rather than 2.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 2:28 pm

The Ritz is brand new and meant to be far elevated over a Regency. While I agree - you won't get much from status at the Ritz - I think the property, location, and amenties would make this an easy choice. I've booked the RC Mexico City specifically because it has a club lounge - something the St. Regis does not have

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.