Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Which hotel should I pick for 6 nights in Tokyo late 2023 as a Discoverist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel should I pick for 6 nights in Tokyo late 2023 as a Discoverist?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2023, 5:06 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by chrispycreme561
Thanks this is huge even if no concierge team as long as they can help with Tabelog bookings I’m in.

The new toronamon hills hotel isn’t a good CPP redemption. Only $400/night cash rate.

The fiancée eliminated the HR and ranked them as HC Ginza first, Andaz second, GH third. Seems like that’s the order of preference for neighborhoods being close to good food too. (Ginza/Toronoman/Roppongi) is that right?
Your/your fiancée’s ranking is correct both overall quality as well as for proximity to the type of dining you’re looking to experience.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Ginza location is geared towards shopping.
Nu? Ginza, especially that side of Ginza, is packed with some of the top restaurants in Tokyo. Whether you know what and where they are, and if you can get in, it's a different matter. L'Osier is just a two-minute walk from the hotel.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Nu? Ginza, especially that side of Ginza, is packed with some of the top restaurants in Tokyo. Whether you know what and where they are, and if you can get in, it's a different matter. L'Osier is just a two-minute walk from the hotel.
Nice so further conversations with the fiancée have us landed on 6 nights at the HC Ginza then 1 night before we fly out at the GH Roppongi.

Fiancee didn’t like the Andaz rooms that much given the point difference and that we don’t have status. Let me know if that’s the wrong choice though.
nappingpanda likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pickles
I stand corrected! I was there between xmas-NYE last year and most restaurants we wanted to go to were closed.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've been to the Grand Hyatt twice on food trips in the last year. It's about a 5 min walk to the nearest subway stop, which is pretty easy, the hotel itself is great (comparable I think to the Park Hyatt NY if you've been there, and most other Park Hyatts), and you are quite central. Azabu, which has a lot of great food, is a very short walk away (I'd highly recommend Azabu Kadowaki, 3* Michelin, if you are really into food, and also Gen Yamamoto for a cocktail omakase, both walking distance). The Hyatt Centric is not as nice from the reviews I've read in most respects, but if you want to be very central in Ginza, the location is also good. Hope this helps...
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I've been to the Grand Hyatt twice on food trips in the last year. It's about a 5 min walk to the nearest subway stop, which is pretty easy, the hotel itself is great (comparable I think to the Park Hyatt NY if you've been there, and most other Park Hyatts), and you are quite central. Azabu, which has a lot of great food, is a very short walk away (I'd highly recommend Azabu Kadowaki, 3* Michelin, if you are really into food, and also Gen Yamamoto for a cocktail omakase, both walking distance). The Hyatt Centric is not as nice from the reviews I've read in most respects, but if you want to be very central in Ginza, the location is also good. Hope this helps...
I am coming from Marriott as a former Ambassador and lifetime platinum now that doesn’t travel for work anymore.

Ah this is tough. We’re basically just between these two hotels and unsure if we should do do 6 nights at the GH or HC first then 1 night at the one we don’t stay at for 6.

Apart from food how is connectivity from the trains to all the major sights from GH vs HC? We will be sightseeing during the morning/afternoon and dining at night.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I am coming from Marriott as a former Ambassador and lifetime platinum now that doesn’t travel for work anymore.

Ah this is tough. We’re basically just between these two hotels and unsure if we should do do 6 nights at the GH or HC first then 1 night at the one we don’t stay at for 6.

Apart from food how is connectivity from the trains to all the major sights from GH vs HC? We will be sightseeing during the morning/afternoon and dining at night.
I'm the same at Marriott (current Titanium, former Ambassador, lifetime Plat) though largely dumped them when they gutted the program 2 years ago and switched to Hyatt. I'm at 100 nights for Hyatt now so seeing whether I can requalify for Titanium with my stays for the rest of the year, when there are decent Marriott options available.

If you want to return to Tokyo some time soon the 6/1 idea isn't bad (I'd do 6 GH/1 HC), so you can make a more informed choice next time. If you're unlikely to come back any time soon it's not clear the hassle of moving is worth it. As far as location goes they are really both good. Tokyo is quite spread out and both are fairly central with good transit access. I'd choose based on the hotels themselves if you'll be spending a decent amount of time in the room, and here I think GH probably wins (I say probably because I've only stayed at GH and read many reviews of HC)...
Old Oct 14, 2023, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tokyo has an amazingly good public transit system. If you are close to either a train or subway station virtually anywhere in the central Tokyo area, you can pretty much get to any place else in central Tokyo in 30 minutes or less. So "connectivity" isn't a real concern. BTW, this is also the fastest way around Tokyo, invariably faster than a taxi (as well as much cheaper).
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by od_sf
They don't have a dedicated concierge team, but the front desk staff will help with restaurant bookings. I've stayed at the HC Ginza four or five times, and they've always been very helpful with restaurant reservations. You'll just need to provide them with a list, including 2nd and 3rd choices if you're trying to book popular places.
Sorry to jump in but do you mean you ask the front desk staff when you're checked in to get a dinner res or do you email them before hand? if youre able to email them could you share the address?

I'm not trying to go anywhere 2* or crazy but just would like help getting recs. We'll be there in 2 weeks so it's already quite late
Old Oct 15, 2023, 6:16 pm

I'm curious if you ever got your nights booked. I've been keeping an eye on availability for the end of the year and it's been very slim.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by sempervivum
Sorry to jump in but do you mean you ask the front desk staff when you're checked in to get a dinner res or do you email them before hand? if youre able to email them could you share the address?

I'm not trying to go anywhere 2* or crazy but just would like help getting recs. We'll be there in 2 weeks so it's already quite late
They will assist you with bookings via email beforehand. [email protected]
They might ask you to fill out a credit card authorization form to secure the reservations and pay for any cancellation fees in case of no-show.
I like to always provide them with alternate choices in case my top choice is already fully booked, the number of seats requested, counter seating or table, meal start time, and a link to the restaurant tabelog page so that they have easy access to the restaurant's phone info. I always let them know "No allergies, no dislikes" as the restaurants will want to know this info.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by od_sf
They will assist you with bookings via email beforehand. [email protected]
They might ask you to fill out a credit card authorization form to secure the reservations and pay for any cancellation fees in case of no-show.
I like to always provide them with alternate choices in case my top choice is already fully booked, the number of seats requested, counter seating or table, meal start time, and a link to the restaurant tabelog page so that they have easy access to the restaurant's phone info. I always let them know "No allergies, no dislikes" as the restaurants will want to know this info.
Can vouch for how useful the concierge at ginza is. They helped us got a nail salon appointment on NYE when it seemed nearly impossible by calling around different places. End product was also really good.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP

For izakaya hops, HC Ginza. under the yamanote tracks is where you want to be. Not Roppongi (GH) - unless you want club hopping.
The next best thing for staying on top of a subway station is to stay at the action some 10 minutes walk away.
If you really don't want to walk, a cab will barely cost you 1000 yen... or 2 from shimbashi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.