Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hyatt in Mallorca?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2023, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Best Hyatt in Mallorca?

Appreciate that there used to be a Park Hyatt which has exited the Hyatt family, but on the Hyatt website there are 22 or so properties in the form of:
  • Alua
  • AluaSun
  • AluaSoul
  • Dreams
  • Secrets
  • Others
I'm wondering whether to kick off my company's Hyatt status challenge for by staying 10 or possibly 20 nights if I can stretch it, and thought I might try one of the above hotels if they count towards status. Has anyone stayed in any of the above hotels? Some of them seem the 'package holiday all-you-can-eat loud disruptive tourist' type venue which I would rather avoid.

Any input appreciated!
Old May 31, 2023, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I understand the Zoetry to be the best. But it's inland from the beach and cannot be reached on public transport. I'll eventually get there to tick off the Brand Explorer badge, but the rates can get high + the cost of taxis or car rentals...

I've stayed at the Secrets, Dreams and Alua Leo.

The Dreams is terrible. Package holiday nightmare. Zero elite recognition.

The Secrets is pretty decent - conversion of a villa owned by a Marquis or something and right on the beach (public). But the surrounding area is more German than Spanish...

I'm quite fond of the Alua Leo. I did 40+ nights of my own status chase there earlier this year. It's incredibly convenient for the airport and the city of Palma. There are people on meals-included packages - and the buffet is better than average IMO - but there are no alcohol-included all-inclusive guests so it basically feels like a normal hotel. It's also open year round - I think only the Alua Soul is also open year round - which means you can get ridiculously cheap rates in November - March.

If you can wait until off-season, the Alua Leo or the nearby Alua Soul will be exactly what you need. If you actually want a summer holiday at a WoH hotel, perhaps try one of the more secluded Alua hotels...
Old Jun 1, 2023, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I understand the Zoetry to be the best. But it's inland from the beach and cannot be reached on public transport. I'll eventually get there to tick off the Brand Explorer badge, but the rates can get high + the cost of taxis or car rentals...

I've stayed at the Secrets, Dreams and Alua Leo.

The Dreams is terrible. Package holiday nightmare. Zero elite recognition.

The Secrets is pretty decent - conversion of a villa owned by a Marquis or something and right on the beach (public). But the surrounding area is more German than Spanish...

I'm quite fond of the Alua Leo. I did 40+ nights of my own status chase there earlier this year. It's incredibly convenient for the airport and the city of Palma. There are people on meals-included packages - and the buffet is better than average IMO - but there are no alcohol-included all-inclusive guests so it basically feels like a normal hotel. It's also open year round - I think only the Alua Soul is also open year round - which means you can get ridiculously cheap rates in November - March.

If you can wait until off-season, the Alua Leo or the nearby Alua Soul will be exactly what you need. If you actually want a summer holiday at a WoH hotel, perhaps try one of the more secluded Alua hotels...
Thank you so much for your informative response and for the warning re Dreams - appreciate it and will steer clear from this one!

Just to clarify (and I should've been more explicit in my original post!) I am actually looking for a summer holiday on the island (late August or so for ~10 days). In previous trips I've stayed at Marriott hotels (Son Vida and Hacienda Son Antem) but I'm trying to force myself off Marriott as I've been Bonvoyed a few times, not to mention the rates for this summer are grossly overpriced for what is an OK experience. Thought I might give Hyatt a chance as I have a status challenge I could try to complete if swayed.

I'll have a rental car, so no issues with remoteness - IMO the more remote the better to try to tap into a Spanish experience rather than German/British. The Alua Leo looks cozy but quite city-based and maybe less of an actual summer-holiday experience unless I'm way off?

In addition to Zoetry (which looks quite good), based on what you've stated there are a few hotels on the east coast which could fit the bill, though again I worry about the 'package holiday' aspect of them:
  • Alua Calas de Mallorca
  • AluaSun Cala Antena
  • AluaSoul Mallorca
  • Alua Las Rocas
Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated - or any other hotels fitting the bill for that matter.

Thanks again!!!
Old Jun 1, 2023, 3:55 am

Programs: Some
I have been doing exactly the same exercise planning for a few weekends this summer (and am currently chasing Globalist to replace Marriott as my 'primary big corporate chain'). I came to the conclusion other than the Zoetry, you'd be better paying the extra for the SLH properties. Zoetry looks like it's pitched at the same level as Son Antem, the SLH properties are pitched at/above the level of Son Vida. I intend to do a couple of weekends at Sant Francesc Hotel Singular which you can now book through Hyatt SLH.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GeoHurst33
Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated - or any other hotels fitting the bill for that matter.
Yes, the Alua Leo is a bit more city-based. It's a 2-minute walk to the Playa de Palma beach but it's essentially in an area that is populated year-round by Mallorcans and expats.

A useful trick for the other hotels is to see which ones sell an "all-inclusive package" and which ones stop at "half board" or "full board" (no alcohol included, usually). Also a Google Hotels rate calendar search to see which hotels manage to charge higher rates throughout the summer. (a partial guide to quality... budget permitting...)

From previous exploration of the island from a base at the old PH, the coves / towns on the eastern side of the island are indeed the likeliest to be nice. But we are talking about Mallorca here - any part of the island that is seasonal is going to be aimed at Brits and Germans - in general, Spanish mainlanders drive to the coast instead of flying to the Balearics.

Also consider Ibize, which has a bad reputation for partying but actually has the nicest areas once you get away from party central...
GeoHurst33 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:33 am

read the reviews of Zoetry before you will book!
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I have been doing exactly the same exercise planning for a few weekends this summer (and am currently chasing Globalist to replace Marriott as my 'primary big corporate chain'). I came to the conclusion other than the Zoetry, you'd be better paying the extra for the SLH properties. Zoetry looks like it's pitched at the same level as Son Antem, the SLH properties are pitched at/above the level of Son Vida. I intend to do a couple of weekends at Sant Francesc Hotel Singular which you can now book through Hyatt SLH.
I'm starting to lean towards the SLH properties and your conclusion of coughing up more $$$, but that 'extra for the SLH' properties is at least 100% higher (looking at EUR 250 vs EUR 550 or so/night) which makes the equation on chasing nights tilt quite a bit and brings me back to the drawing board...My Corporate discount rate doesn't do much to the cost either (nor do any other of the 'semi public' ones for that matter). I dread of swallowing my pride and returning to Bonvoy tbh...

Originally Posted by clublevel15
read the reviews of Zoetry before you will book!
Interesting comment...! Any website in particular I should be looking at? Tripadvisor/Google/Booking/Expedia all seem to show 4.5+/5, and if you filter for negative reviews only you'll find yourself not staying at any hotel ever in my experience

Most of the complaints seem to be about the restaurants and/or quality of food, but at most I'd have breakfast at the hotel and drive to an actual restaurant to enjoy the cuisine. To be honest I'm still quite torn about Hyatt's footprint on this island with the exception of the (quite pricier) SLH properties which tilt the 'chasing status' equation somewhat.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, a bunch of the AMR hotels have shown up on the 500 point-per-night new hotel bonus list. (looks mostly like the ones that were added recently in April / May)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 7:44 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Does anyone have an update on the various hotels Hyatt is now listing here? I'm felling a bit overwhelmed. What would be the best choice for exploring the island in mid-October, some swimming (if still possible), reasonable quality hotel?
makin'miles and bsdstone like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
Does anyone have an update on the various hotels Hyatt is now listing here? I'm felling a bit overwhelmed. What would be the best choice for exploring the island in mid-October, some swimming (if still possible), reasonable quality hotel?
Looking at the same timeframe but for 2024...late september/early october. coming from the states, so likely 5-7 nights. Looking for beach location and luxury if it's available thru WOH.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Looking at the same timeframe but for 2024...late september/early october. coming from the states, so likely 5-7 nights. Looking for beach location and luxury if it's available thru WOH.
The only hotel that could conceivably be considered luxury AND beachfront would be the Secrets one.

The Aluas are not luxury and the other brands, including SLH, aren't beachfront.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
The only hotel that could conceivably be considered luxury AND beachfront would be the Secrets one.

The Aluas are not luxury and the other brands, including SLH, aren't beachfront.
Anything out of WOH that fits this bill?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Im planning on staying in juy 2024 with 7 people, including family of 4 with little kids, so with which coast is the best place to stay? price is a factor, so most hotels on the coast are priced approx the same, so trying to see which coast is the best with little kids.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by yuel
Im planning on staying in juy 2024 with 7 people, including family of 4 with little kids, so with which coast is the best place to stay? price is a factor, so most hotels on the coast are priced approx the same, so trying to see which coast is the best with little kids.
7 people including kids - I would seriously consider renting a house instead of staying in a hotel. There are some amazing beach front and cliff side locations. I spent a week in Mallorca and honestly, it’s hard to go wrong with location.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by martzipan
7 people including kids - I would seriously consider renting a house instead of staying in a hotel. There are some amazing beach front and cliff side locations. I spent a week in Mallorca and honestly, it’s hard to go wrong with location.
I looked at homes, but for 4-5 bdrms, its pricy, appears to be all inclusive hotels starting at $150 a night, but all on different beaches and side of the island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.