Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

EQNs for stays across Dec 31/Jan 1 (credits to the new year) - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2023, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
tl;dr
  • Hyatt credits the entire stay based on the checkout date. A stay checking in 29 Dec 2023 and checking out 02 Jan 2024 will credit 4 nights to 2024
  • You cannot work around this by making consecutive reservations checking out 31 Dec 2023 and checking back in on 01 Jan 2024; the two stays will be merged and the combined total will post to 2024
Print Wikipost

EQNs for stays across Dec 31/Jan 1 (credits to the new year) - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Denied Globalist since last night was Dec 31!

Hello,

I hit my 55th night on Dec 31st! I went out of my way to make it by the skin of my teeth! I just realized the stay posted towards this year and my Globalist status had not updated. I called Hyatt and they told me it goes by check out date and not the night you stayed. This is very confusing to me since Hyatt credits by nights and not stays. I referred her to my 125 nights last year and over 100 the year before but she said none of that matters. She said she was a supervisor and escalated to upper management. I got an email back a few hours later explaining that Dec 31 is 2019 and not 2018 since the checkout date is Jan 1 and nothing can be done.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any luck ?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Unfortunately this has been Hyatt's policy. You have to check out on December 31st for it to count under the current year. If your check out is on the 1st or later - it counts for the next year.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
This is a bit of a non-nonsensical policy, but it is a policy that has been around for a while (there are dozens and dozens of comments about it here on FT).

In years past, there have been stories that Hyatt would override the policy for a few people, but it seems that they are a bit more strict this year.

My Globalist concierge reached out to remind me of it in late December.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
It has to go one way or the other. Suppose someone just makes it during the course of the year and the first night was a Jan. 1 checkout. He or she would want that night to count in the year of checkout, not checkin.

The one thing Hyatt should do is make this very clear and explicit in the T&C for both qualifying stay as well as promotions.
NJNY and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I like Hyatt a lot, but they have some real morons working there. A Hyatt supervisor would have to be mentally defective to deny a one-night courtesy adjustment to a customer who had averaged over 90 nights per year over the past three years. And that's before we get into the nonsensical "Dec. 31 is really the next year" IT silliness.
sapguy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This thread appears every year. In the past, Hyatt has ultimately relented and allowed credit to the prior year.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Ironic!
I had 13 nights (9 on points, 2 free nights, and 2 paid nights), yet they renewed my Explorer status through Feb 2020 and gave me four more club level certs.

As far as what year is credited for stays that go over NYE, it's been discussed here many times.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:23 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
surprised you took that risk...
I always ensure my profile is updated with the renewed status before Dec 31, so i would always check-out latest on Dec 30.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
surprised you took that risk...
Apart from the loyalty-obsessed, Flyertalk types... it is simply not logical for anybody to assume that a 31 December night wouldn't count for current year status. In fact, "might as well do something special on NYE" is far more sensible than a standard mattress run.

I think that airlines and hotel chains often make the mistake of wishing that we were all mindlessly loyal, whilst actually assuming that every loyalty programme member is obsessed with the fine print and knows all of the relevant details.

Even though I'm usually against relaxing fixed criteria, this does seem like an obvious exception.
weather and joe_miami like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:21 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Apart from the loyalty-obsessed, Flyertalk types... it is simply not logical for anybody to assume that a 31 December night wouldn't count for current year status. In fact, "might as well do something special on NYE" is far more sensible than a standard mattress run.

I think that airlines and hotel chains often make the mistake of wishing that we were all mindlessly loyal, whilst actually assuming that every loyalty programme member is obsessed with the fine print and knows all of the relevant details.

Even though I'm usually against relaxing fixed criteria, this does seem like an obvious exception.
Don't get me wrong, fully agree with you. I just want to avoid any hassle... last year I requalified in August, so was definitely on the safe side.
sapguy likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Don't get me wrong, fully agree with you. I just want to avoid any hassle... last year I requalified in August, so was definitely on the safe side.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I also hit 55 nights in June (once the TSU expiry nonsense was fixed) and stopped at 100 in November, but also accept that I am surely a loyalty-obsessed freak and not your average Globalist...
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:53 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Phone Hyatt and explain that you goofed up. You mistakenly believed that December 31 was part of 2018. As it ends up (for status purposes), December 31 is part of 2019. "So, here's what we need to do. Count my stay on December 31 towards 2018 status. It's a one-time exception, because I will always remember from now on that December 31 is the first day of the new year. Hyatt ends up with a happy customer, and y'all get lots of repeat business in 2019 and beyond.".

If the rep will do this, great! If not, don't make a big deal out of it. Simply HUCA (hang Up, Call Again).
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
I had a problem last year. Was at 59 nights before a 6 night stay starting Dec 30. Called diamond line before stay and was told Dec 30 would count for 2017 and if it posted to 2018 to call after the stay and they would change it. It posted to 2018, I called and endied up talking to supervisor who said too bad. She would not budge even though rep told me beforehand I would get credit for 2017. Sent an email to [email protected] and they fixed it.

Good luck
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Originally Posted by aero0729
Hello,

I hit my 55th night on Dec 31st! I went out of my way to make it by the skin of my teeth! I just realized the stay posted towards this year and my Globalist status had not updated. I called Hyatt and they told me it goes by check out date and not the night you stayed. This is very confusing to me since Hyatt credits by nights and not stays. I referred her to my 125 nights last year and over 100 the year before but she said none of that matters. She said she was a supervisor and escalated to upper management. I got an email back a few hours later explaining that Dec 31 is 2019 and not 2018 since the checkout date is Jan 1 and nothing can be done.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any luck ?
Don't give up. It has been my experience with Hyatt that persistence, along with politeness and contrition, will usually get the result you seek (especially on such a minor difference for a frequent guest).
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that Hyatt will be tough on this because they want to get rid of the feature (and are in the process of doing so, but have chosen to give us lots of advance notice) that Globs only need 55 rather than 60 nights to requalify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.