Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?

View Poll Results: 40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5,000 points?
$100 gift card
53.40%
5k points
46.60%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?

Old Aug 17, 22, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
Stockpile until you have enough for it to justify your time. You can save them for 50 years then redeem them. $500 is a good number too.

It just depends what your time is worth, if an extra 10 minutes kills you (worst case scenario) then just save 5 of them then youll have $500 to use.
What about inflation? Even after a couple years, a $100 gift card is worth less, maybe $75-85 at current USA inflation rates.
Old Aug 17, 22, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I get it if people cannot be bothered to do or understand the math. It is perfectly reasonable to prefer the convenience of 5k points over a $100 gift card that requires some hassle to use. But giving people a hard time for trying to explain the clear financial benefit of choosing the $100 gift card is OTT IMO...
It's simply wrong to say that people who choose the points "don't understand the math." I understand the math perfectly, I just don't agree with the conclusions that are being drawn based exclusively on a mathematical analysis and, in particular, the notion that a purely mathematical analysis necessarily yields the only valid result.

This reminds me of working with engineers. Great with details, but they tend to get lost in them, and often can't appreciate the big picture.
NJNY and 59Impala like this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's simply wrong to say that people who choose the points "don't understand the math." I understand the math perfectly, I just don't agree with the conclusions that are being drawn based exclusively on a mathematical analysis and, in particular, the notion that a purely mathematical analysis necessarily yields the only valid result.

This reminds me of working with engineers. Great with details, but they tend to get lost in them, and often can't appreciate the big picture.
I rather prefer travelling on airplanes and bridges designed and built by detail-oriented engineers, rather than those built by "big picture" people.

But besides that, I am simply saying that people are free to make whatever choice they prefer - and since Hyatt saves so much more money by people choosing points I'm perfectly happy for them to do so - but they shouldn't try to justify their choice with clearly incorrect calculations. And even worse, to bash the people who lay out the correct calculations.

During a double point promo with Globalist status, your choices are 3,850 net points or $100 - make your own choice...
antonius66 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 22, 2:28 pm

I rather prefer travelling on airplanes and bridges designed and built by detail-oriented engineers, rather than those built by "big picture" people.

But besides that, I am simply saying that people are free to make whatever choice they prefer - and since Hyatt saves so much more money by people choosing points I'm perfectly happy for them to do so - but they shouldn't try to justify their choice with clearly incorrect calculations. And even worse, to bash the people who lay out the correct calculations.

During a double point promo with Globalist status, your choices are 3,850 net points or $100 - make your own choice...
.. or $100/3850 = 2.60 cents per point break even
Old Aug 17, 22, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am simply saying that people are free to make whatever choice they prefer.
Actually, what you said was:
I get it if people cannot be bothered to do or understand the math.
I chose the gift card last year. Not sure what I'll do this year. But I feel no need to belittle people who choose the points. First, there are valid reasons to make that choice. Second, well never mind ;-)
Old Aug 18, 22, 11:41 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), several others
FWIW, since this is basically an open election (and clearly a matter of preference with close to a 50/50 vote), I choose the 5K points. Debatably leaving a few $ or points on the table but less aggravation, I consider Hyatt points to be relatively moderately tough to obtain, additional 400 points by using a Hyatt credit card (4x Hyatt spend) instead of the GC, and I believe that Hyatt points can easily be leveraged to more than 2 cents each.

(My last few redemptions were for point values of 2-4 cents each. Hyatt Place Park City last ski season 15K vs $350-400, Grand Hyatt Vail twice last ski season 25-29K vs $650-$1100. Looking toward next ski season HPPC currently showing some dates 15-18K vs $550-650.)

… Hyatt saves so much more money by people choosing points ...
Presumes knowledge of exactly how Hyatt “pays” for a points award stay which we’ve not previously seen fully rationally clearly explained. Is it just a matter of Hyatt “writing off” the lost $ revenue from a points award stay and/or relative probability of breakage and/or points never being redeemed or something more complex? Please expound upon that information.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Aug 18, 22 at 11:46 am Reason: clarification
Old Aug 18, 22, 11:45 am

And no one here knows how many people are actually hitting the milestone to make this decision. Only Hyatt knows, and surely has already accounted for the liability.

my guess is the number of people actually hitting the 40 night milestone is a relatively small percentage of their actual WOH member base.
Old Aug 18, 22, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), several others
Originally Posted by Seagull689 View Post
… accounted for the liability...
Agreed. Probably regardless of how exactly Hyatt calculates the liability.

Originally Posted by Seagull689 View Post
… the number of people … is a relatively small percentage of their actual WOH member base.
Absolutely. One thing there’s (here at FT) near universal agreement about is that we (here at FT) are probably a very small percentage of any loyalty program’s total membership number(s), probably not even a proverbial blip on the radar. That’s not a bad thing, hopefully we all (here at FT) contribute to our (here at FT) being able to leverage these programs to our (here at FT) best advantage.

As one datapoint, 100 people have voted in the poll at the top of this thread, 16 million people (in 2019) are WOH members.
Hyatt # (2019) … With more than 16 million members, World of Hyatt …

UA # (2020) … United MileagePlus has over 100 million members …

AA # (2019) ... American Airlines boasts that it’s the “largest airline loyalty program” with over 115 million AAdvantage members. However, only 23 million of those members generated some sort of activity in 2019 ...

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Aug 18, 22 at 10:23 pm Reason: # links added
Old Aug 19, 22, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post

As one datapoint, 100 people have voted in the poll at the top of this thread, 16 million people (in 2019) are WOH members.
another data point: I didnt vote in the poll because I think its pointless. The debate in this thread is not, however.

Search this Thread