Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: 40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5,000 points?
$100 gift card
53.40%
5k points
46.60%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joey965
I always take the points. My rational is personal and that is how you should decide. I can not quite hit 60 nights each year for Globalist, so I 'stay' at the only local Hyatt Place a couple of nights per year as I highly value my Globalist standing. The cheapest this room has been at any given time over the last few years is $148 with tax. Point cost is 5,000. So for my purposes, the 5,000 points I just received for hitting 40 nights is worth $148 to me.
Now I definitely have questions.

1) You only do stays at this Hyatt Place, no other properties…ever?

2) You said “stay” are you implying you don’t actually stay and just to Mattress Runs?

3) If Yes to 2 then why wouldn’t you hit 60? Stopping at 40 via Mattress Runs is quite ludicrous.

4) You’re saying you do not and will not stay at any other properties ever other than this one single Hyatt Place?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Now I definitely have questions.

1) You only do stays at this Hyatt Place, no other properties…ever?

2) You said “stay” are you implying you don’t actually stay and just to Mattress Runs?

3) If Yes to 2 then why wouldn’t you hit 60? Stopping at 40 via Mattress Runs is quite ludicrous.

4) You’re saying you do not and will not stay at any other properties ever other than this one single Hyatt Place?
I think you are mis-reading the post. I believe they are saying they want the points for the mattress run. Meaning they have say 55 nights organically, they could either spend 25,000 points or $750 on the mattress run to get over the threshold. So they are getting 3 cents value for the points, so the 5,000 is worth 150 to them
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Schnit
I think you are mis-reading the post. I believe they are saying they want the points for the mattress run. Meaning they have say 55 nights organically, they could either spend 25,000 points or $750 on the mattress run to get over the threshold. So they are getting 3 cents value for the points, so the 5,000 is worth 150 to them
That’s just ludicrous and I’ll describe why.1) MGM Properties if you go to Las Vegas at all. Provide a much easier and cheaper way to “stay”.

2) Getting points is severely severely easy - as mentioned above Chase gives them away like candy, if you can’t or don’t want to a friend or family member can easily transfer them to you via Chase OR via the Hyatt points transfer form.

To me this is saying the most idiotic thing of all -

“I pay between $107.50 and $148 for EACH EQN”. Is exactly what OP is saying.

We have other threads hear discussing the value of an EQN most place it at $25-$50. Placing it at $148 is just pure lunacy.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That’s just ludicrous
Way to double down on your error.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Way to double down on your error.
Or to respond when I received further information…

There’s dozens of properties throughout the US some Category 1, some Category 2 even that you can find nights under $100 throughout the year. There’s threads dedicated to doing MR’s and not one single person on any of them says Hey guys I’m doing my MR for $148 per night! They’d get laughed out.

Not to mention with the new Avenue of MGM nights without resort fees for Explorists and Globalists.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:21 pm

Or to respond when I received further information…

There’s dozens of properties throughout the US some Category 1, some Category 2 even that you can find nights under $100 throughout the year. There’s threads dedicated to doing MR’s and not one single person on any of them says Hey guys I’m doing my MR for $148 per night! They’d get laughed out.

Not to mention with the new Avenue of MGM nights without resort fees for Explorists and Globalists.
Seems like a harsh reaction without knowing this person's info. If they dont go to Vegas and don't live near one of these cheap properties why not spend 5k points? Is it better they book a flight to Vegas, register with MGM, have them status match, check into the room, and then fly home? Totally seems logical! You sure set him straight!
NJNY likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:31 pm

Seems like a harsh reaction without knowing this person's info. If they dont go to Vegas and don't live near one of these cheap properties why not spend 5k points? Is it better they book a flight to Vegas, register with MGM, have them status match, check into the room, and then fly home? Totally seems logical! You sure set him straight!
I don’t find it harsh at all, you can find sub $100 nights in many states it’s not like it’s limited to 2 or 3 it’s almost every state. Depending on the number of nights it could be easier to fly to Vegas. I find it very difficult to see someone staying 40+ nights on their own and not encounter a property that has nights for under $100 nearby or in their travels.

Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Orlando, Minneapolis, Iowa, Tulsa, Kansas, New Mexico, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Provo, Phoenix, Denver, Hell even California you can find dates for under $100 if you look at the calendar.

As for status matching you can sign up for an MGM Rewards card online then status match online it takes maybe 3 minutes total. Flights to and from Vegas are heavily subsidized and you can find them for $50-$80 Roundtrip.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
That’s just ludicrous and I’ll describe why.1) MGM Properties if you go to Las Vegas at all. Provide a much easier and cheaper way to “stay”.
Ummm... you do realize that some people have literally never been to Vegas and some have been and have absolutely zero desire to return.

You always seem to need to argue at the extremes and assume your model is the right/only model.

There is a reason that Hyatt gives a choice (defined as, "an act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities"). Many have articulated their reasons for the choice they make. Not sure why a few feel as though they need to continue berating others for making a different choice...

Regards
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... you do realize that some people have literally never been to Vegas and some have been and have absolutely zero desire to return.

You always seem to need to argue at the extremes and assume your model is the right/only model.

There is a reason that Hyatt gives a choice (defined as, "an act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities"). Many have articulated their reasons for the choice they make. Not sure why a few feel as though they need to continue berating others for making a different choice...

Regards
And that’s why I presented about a dozen other major cities, even whole states, where you can find rates under $100 many times over.

If OP’s plan is to Mattress Run then do it efficiently, there’s many threads dedicated to that subject on here.

Just because I can at times redeem points at a rate of 2 cents or 2.5 cents doesn’t change my valuation of them from 1.5 cents.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:54 pm

I don’t find it harsh at all, you can find sub $100 nights in many states it’s not like it’s limited to 2 or 3 it’s almost every state. Depending on the number of nights it could be easier to fly to Vegas. I find it very difficult to see someone staying 40+ nights on their own and not encounter a property that has nights for under $100 nearby or in their travels.

Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Orlando, Minneapolis, Iowa, Tulsa, Kansas, New Mexico, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Provo, Phoenix, Denver, Hell even California you can find dates for under $100 if you look at the calendar.

As for status matching you can sign up for an MGM Rewards card online then status match online it takes maybe 3 minutes total. Flights to and from Vegas are heavily subsidized and you can find them for $50-$80 Roundtrip.
I think you are missing the point. The 40+ nights earned already are while that person would be traveling. If the person lives in Maine, you think it makes more sense for them to fly 6 hours each way, than to pay a little bit more for a local hotel. Think about how crazy that sounds
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:09 pm

I think you are missing the point. The 40+ nights earned already are while that person would be traveling. If the person lives in Maine, you think it makes more sense for them to fly 6 hours each way, than to pay a little bit more for a local hotel. Think about how crazy that sounds
Yes, and while traveling you find many cheap properties. On your checkout date you could check in to one of those cheap properties especially if you’re not intending to actually stay.

Also, I checked all of Maine and their only Hyatt is a Cat 5. With all those cities and states (and that’s literally just off the top of my head from my own experience) you’re bound to run into more than a few every year.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:14 pm

Yes, and while traveling you find many cheap properties. On your checkout date you could check in to one of those cheap properties especially if you’re not intending to actually stay.

Also, I checked all of Maine and their only Hyatt is a Cat 5. With all those cities and states (and that’s literally just off the top of my head from my own experience) you’re bound to run into more than a few every year.
I imagine for many people that doesn't work. They only want the mattress run at the end of the year, once they realize they wont otherwise qualify. You might find something during your end of the year trips, but you also might now.

I work with someone who spends over 50 nights a year on business in NYC. This is the vast majority of their travel, minimal personal. If they want to requalify they arent finding a cheap place in NYC.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I always take the 5K points - as long as I can redeem at 2 cents or over consistently, it matches $100 in value and makes more sense than hassling with gift cards that hotel associates may or may not know how to run correctly.
NJNY likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:47 pm

I imagine for many people that doesn't work. They only want the mattress run at the end of the year, once they realize they wont otherwise qualify. You might find something during your end of the year trips, but you also might now.

I work with someone who spends over 50 nights a year on business in NYC. This is the vast majority of their travel, minimal personal. If they want to requalify they arent finding a cheap place in NYC.
Majority doesn’t mean all. I’m sure at some point they’re in other areas. There’s also 49 other states, New York is the vast minority.

I do however know several people in NYC who fly to Chicago or take the train to Philadelphia and Mattress Run very cheaply, several have also posted on the Mattress Run threads. Chicago’s paid rates are also extremely low in December, we stayed there for 6 nights last December for $60 a night.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I can think of valid reasons to take 5,000 points, but in most cases I feel like I'd rather take the thing that can be exchanged for 5,416 points even if there is some mild hassle involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.