Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Confirmed Reservation Not Being Honored at Alila Uluwatu

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist

I made a reservation the Alila Uluwatu for the end of August using points. I do not usually stay at Hyatt properties and so am not overly familiar with the program but found award availability for four nights (I had some flexibility with my dates). I transferred the points from my chase credit card and confirmed the reservation yesterday and then booked my flights and transport accordingly. Today I got an email stating

"Greetings from Alila Villas Uluwatu, Bali.
Kindly be advised that we will have a wedding buyout. Therefore, we are unable to confirm you reservation. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that we have caused regarding the forced () buyout of the property, but we are seeking your kind understanding." (Emoji added by me)

I will book somewhere else but now I have 110,000 Hyatt points that I do not have much use for - I am posting mostly as a warning to others so that the same thing doesn't happen to them! I will see if they transfer my reservation to another Hyatt/Alila property but the other properties are all a lower category so would be cheaper to just rebook myself.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:28 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Look at the recent posts on Alila Uluwatu regarding the bad experiences from weddings - that hotel is popular for 3+ weddings each day. On one hand, the hotel did you favor for not staying there during the wedding.

On the other hand, you can use those points at the other Bali Alila properties/SLH like Viceroy Bali etc.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I'd file a complaint with Hyatt. You had a confirmed booking and the hotel isn't honoring it.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by steveholt
I'd file a complaint with Hyatt. You had a confirmed booking and the hotel isn't honoring it.
Yep. The property should be rebooking you for free (i.e., full points refund) into another property.

Based on the recent cascade of negative reports here, did not consider this property for upcoming trip, and boy was that the right call.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks - will reach out to Hyatt also. I had read the reports of the issues with regards to weddings and was not too bothered about the noise etc but I did not anticipate not being allowed to stay at all!

I would have expected that they would offer some sort of alternative but they did not except free breakfast if I choose to re-schedule. I am finding out if they can accommodate me at another hotel instead.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep. The property should be rebooking you for free (i.e., full points refund) into another property.

Based on the recent cascade of negative reports here, did not consider this property for upcoming trip, and boy was that the right call.
For sure! There are so many other great options in Bali and I have learned my lesson for next time. I am not sure if this is an isolated hotel specific issue or a Hyatt program issue but will be more cautious about transferring points to Hyatt in the future.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
For sure! There are so many other great options in Bali and I have learned my lesson for next time. I am not sure if this is an isolated hotel specific issue or a Hyatt program issue but will be more cautious about transferring points to Hyatt in the future.
It's extraordinarily rare. You didn't do anything wrong. It's just very poor conduct by the property.
bbbb, Tami, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The hotel shouldn't be allowed to cancel an confirmed reservation with no compensation or penalty. The offer of free breakfast if you rebook for a later date is nothing. Bali isn't like a weekend road trip that you can easily reschedule for some other date.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The hotel shouldn't be allowed to cancel an confirmed reservation with no compensation or penalty. The offer of free breakfast if you rebook for a later date is nothing. Bali isn't like a weekend road trip that you can easily reschedule for some other date.
Well, free breakfast might change that calculation, lol.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
This had me falling out my chair laughing!

I’ve never seen a case where someone is re-accommodated prior to the stay dates AND fully refunded.

It’s basically the same scenario as showing up and being told they’re sold out, despite having a reservation. Their obligation is to re-accommodate you, but not to re-accommodate you AND refund you. That’s just ludicrous.

Hyatt May throw in 5-10k points as a gesture of goodwill for the poor experience, but I would definitely not expect or even think that the 110k points would be refunded and basically a free 4 day vacation provided as compensation.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Thanks - will reach out to Hyatt also. I had read the reports of the issues with regards to weddings and was not too bothered about the noise etc but I did not anticipate not being allowed to stay at all!

I would have expected that they would offer some sort of alternative but they did not except free breakfast if I choose to re-schedule. I am finding out if they can accommodate me at another hotel instead.

Definitely escalate to Consumer Affairs. Property shouldn’t be doing this and promising free breakfast as compensation.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
When I worked at Hyatt lo-these-many-years-ago, we backed out about 100 reservations. It was a screwup by "those .......s in Sales," as my boss used to refer to them. They had overcommitted the hotel on rooms for those dates, and one group was less important (and had incredibly cheap rates). But we at least placed them all at a nearby hotel at the same rate. "Hey, we're not honoring your confirmed reservation. You're on your own," is not acceptable.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:18 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
This may be "extraordinarily rare" but it's certainly not unheard of. There are multiple reports of reservations being cancelled on relatively short notice at VBS due to corporate or wedding buyouts. This also happened at other properties when they offered "bubbles" to sports teams during the height of the pandemic. Unfortunately, the only accommodation I recall seeing was moving the reservation to a different date.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
This had me falling out my chair laughing!

I’ve never seen a case where someone is re-accommodated prior to the stay dates AND fully refunded.

It’s basically the same scenario as showing up and being told they’re sold out, despite having a reservation. Their obligation is to re-accommodate you, but not to re-accommodate you AND refund you. That’s just ludicrous.

Hyatt May throw in 5-10k points as a gesture of goodwill for the poor experience, but I would definitely not expect or even think that the 110k points would be refunded and basically a free 4 day vacation provided as compensation.
You were right in this case there will not be a refund and re-accommodate. However, in case of a sold out situation (and guests being walked), most chain hotels' policy is to re-accommodate AND refund.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Push for reaccommodation at Amankila.
Smiley90 and RK23 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:19 am

They should just re-brand themselves "Alila Weddings Uluwatu" and be done with it. Let's drop the pretense that this is still somehow a luxury property.

As mentioned by someone further up, I had the most incredible experience with a wedding taking place there for several hours, which could be seen and heard clearly and loudly from the Six Senses that I was staying at, nearly 1km away from the Alila.

It's not ideal if you were looking for a private villa experience, and arguably a step down in terms of level of luxury, but I had a great experience at the Andaz in the standard suite if you were looking for WoH alternatives.
notquiteaff, wrp96, Kacee and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.