Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

ABU DHABI: Park vs Grand vs Andaz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Planning a two night layover visit to Abu Dhabi in July (I know...) as a Globalist. First time visit to the city. When I was in Dubai I stayed at the Park Hyatt.

What do you all recommend? During my July dates I'm seeing these prices (Refundable price per night after taxes/fees in USD):

Park Hyatt - $311 USD or 21,000 Points
Grand Hyatt - $163 USD or 12,000 Points
Andaz Capitol Gate - $112 USD or 6,500 Points

I was leaning towards Andaz (I typically really like Andaz properties and the price is right) but I have heard the location is not great. Don't plan to be outside too much (HOT) so pool/beach isn't a big factor for me. I plan to spend my full day seeing some of the main attractions and maybe hitting up the Ferrari park.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Planning a two night layover visit to Abu Dhabi in July (I know...) as a Globalist. First time visit to the city. When I was in Dubai I stayed at the Park Hyatt.

What do you all recommend? During my July dates I'm seeing these prices (Refundable price per night after taxes/fees in USD):

Park Hyatt - $311 USD or 21,000 Points
Grand Hyatt - $163 USD or 12,000 Points
Andaz Capitol Gate - $112 USD or 6,500 Points

I was leaning towards Andaz (I typically really like Andaz properties and the price is right) but I have heard the location is not great. Don't plan to be outside too much (HOT) so pool/beach isn't a big factor for me. I plan to spend my full day seeing some of the main attractions and maybe hitting up the Ferrari park.
GH for the right combo of new hardware, relative luxury and a very good price.
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:37 am

We really enjoyed the GH but it is right at the end of the Corniche, so it is cab/rideshare to get to spots. Great hardware (exception USB ports), nice lounge, good treatment of Globalists.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I stayed recently at the Andaz and Grand (both upgraded me to a full suite), and at the Park years ago. For your itinerary, Andaz and Park would probably be better located -- closer to the airport, Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Louvre, and Ferrari Park. It's true that there is nothing near the Andaz, but the rooms are nice though the service was shambolic. At that price, you won't be able to complain. I don't recall seeing any taxis lined up there, but you could easily arrange one.

Grand is at the other end of town. You could wander around downtown in the evening (it would still require a taxi to get to the center) though there's not much to see. Traffic won't be a major issue, though, so if you don't mind 40 minutes or so to the airport, a bit less to the other major attractions, it's an OK choice. For Globalists, they converted the steakhouse to the Grand Club, with meals and happy hour.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
As someone who spent at least 3 days minimum at each of those properties last summer, here's my ranking/thoughts:

1. Park Hyatt Abu Dhabi - This was the highlight of my visit in Abu Dhabi. The beach was beautiful, food choices were amazing, and the staff here really went above and beyond to make my stay memorable. It's beachfront anyway. Gym was a plus. Globalist upgrade to suite. A ton of Brits and europeans were here vacationing/partying.
2. Grand Hyatt Abu Dhabi - Huge building, right in the center. I liked their exterior, pool was meh... grand club/lounge was endless for happy hour, breakfast options were on point! Did not use the gym here. Globalist upgrade to suite. Pretty laid back, clientele was mainly british/american.
3. Andaz Capital Gate - Far, far away from any decent city center/activity/excursions to do. This hotel was primarily used by conference/business/ADNEC attendees. A steal on points/cash, breakfast buffet was really good, pool was pretty small, no sauna/steam/spa due to covid. Gym was available. Globalist upgrade to Suite. Clientele was all over the place.
MaldivesGoal likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I ended up getting a good deal with a Best Rate Guarantee (after much hassle); the Grand was less than the Andaz so decided to book the Grand for 2 nights. Figure it was hard to argue with that. Might end up staying a third night in the city and was thinking of staying at the Crowne Plaza by Ferrari on Yas Island -- something like $60 a night and close to the airport.

Originally Posted by illico
We really enjoyed the GH but it is right at the end of the Corniche, so it is cab/rideshare to get to spots. Great hardware (exception USB ports), nice lounge, good treatment of Globalists.
Originally Posted by mecabq
Grand is at the other end of town. You could wander around downtown in the evening (it would still require a taxi to get to the center) though there's not much to see. Traffic won't be a major issue, though, so if you don't mind 40 minutes or so to the airport, a bit less to the other major attractions, it's an OK choice. For Globalists, they converted the steakhouse to the Grand Club, with meals and happy hour.
Sounds like Uber or cab is the way to go to/from the airport and when visiting the city. Might even do the hop on hop off Big Bus tour as it looks like it starts/ends near the Grand Hyatt.

Originally Posted by Aventine
GH for the right combo of new hardware, relative luxury and a very good price.
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
As someone who spent at least 3 days minimum at each of those properties last summer...
Not to get too off topic, but how was Abu Dhabi in the summer? Miserable? Any tips of things to do that aren't outside?

Last edited by Single_Flyer; Apr 4, 2022 at 3:38 pm
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I ended up getting a good deal with a Best Rate Guarantee (after much hassle); the Grand was less than the Andaz so decided to book the Grand for 2 nights. Figure it was hard to argue with that. Might end up staying a third night in the city and was thinking of staying at the Crowne Plaza by Ferrari on Yas Island -- something like $60 a night and close to the airport.

Sounds like Uber or cab is the way to go to/from the airport and when visiting the city. Might even do the hop on hop off Big Bus tour as it looks like it starts/ends near the Grand Hyatt.

Not to get too off topic, but how was Abu Dhabi in the summer? Miserable? Any tips of things to do that aren't outside?
The weather is dry desert hot hot hot and they can have sandstorms too (not fun).

Louvre Abu Dhabi or the giant National aquarium.
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:36 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
do not do what I did... it was so f$%kng hot some days where it was unsafe to even go outside with sunscreen/shades on.

To enjoy any of it, I went out after sunset/night time and stayed out before sunrise.
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 3:30 pm

Ended up booking 5 nights for 6,500 a night. Seems like the best deal in town.

Last edited by nikehair; Apr 24, 2023 at 4:49 pm
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
Originally Posted by nikehair
Just booked a 6-might stay at the Andaz for 39k points. Not sure if promo pricing, rice mistake, or cheap because location isn't ideal.
So the Andaz is a Category 2, and then it is likely priced as off-peak during your dates, meaning it will be 6.5k*6, which is 39k. So overall, it is a great price, mainly because not a lot of people are visiting Abu Dhabi during the summer time. Overall, the location can be convenient if you want a halfway between downtown and the airport.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
I have a two day/one night layover in Abu Dhabi in early November. I've made a reservation at the GH and also at the Andaz. 8K points for the Andaz or a free night award for the GH. I am leaning toward the GH, mainly because the lounge sounds nice and because I have not been thrilled with other Andaz experiences. Also the GH sounds better as a starting point for wandering around, although neither sounds great. But one of the posts above says the GH is a 40-minute ride to the airport. Does anyone have recent experience with taxi fares between the airport and either or both of these hotels? And/or is there anything else I should be taking into account? Thanks so much for any information or insights you can share.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 11:31 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist
I always use Uber in UAE, which is 45 minutes and around 40 USD from GH to Abu Dhabi airport.
Assimilated Cajun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.