Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Austin REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Hey everyone, I did not see a specific thread for the recently opened Thompson in Austin. I have a stay mid next year and figured I would start this thread to collect everyone's thoughts.

One question I had was about suites at this property. I called the globalist line to apply a suite upgrade to my stay yesterday. I was initially told that they do not participate in the suite upgrade program, but the agent called the property to confirm. She subsequently told me that none of their suites would be available as they were still under construction; This could be the case, but sounded a little suspicious as there are suites available for my dates. I will try again at in a couple days.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by jmugrappler
Hey everyone, I did not see a specific thread for the recently opened Thompson in Austin. I have a stay mid next year and figured I would start this thread to collect everyone's thoughts.

One question I had was about suites at this property. I called the globalist line to apply a suite upgrade to my stay yesterday. I was initially told that they do not participate in the suite upgrade program, but the agent called the property to confirm. She subsequently told me that none of their suites would be available as they were still under construction; This could be the case, but sounded a little suspicious as there are suites available for my dates. I will try again at in a couple days.
I had a stay shortly after they opened and can confirm the suites are all on the higher floors that are not complete yet. Based on what I was told, the completion date for the rest of the property was still up in the air and it also sounded like the hotel hadn't decided on what would be the standard suite yet.

I had a corner room that was pretty spacious for a non-suite. The hotel is still very much a work-in-process so if you aren't OK with some hiccups I would stay elsewhere for the next couple of months at least. The coffee shop was open and the bar by the pool was about to open, but everything else seemed pretty far away from completion. Overall I had a really good stay and gloablist breakfast could be had in what sounded like a temporary restaurant space on the 2nd floor or via room service. I never went to check out the breakfast spot on the 2nd floor, so I don't know what the setup looked like. I opted for room service and everything was delivered on a cart with real plates and silverware. The menu was small, but food was great and it was good to see a property deliver real room service (instead of the paper bag to go style room service you see at many other hotels currently). Coffee shop was solid, but a little pricey.

The setup is really odd with the Tommie (basically you get off the elevator and turn one way for the Tommie hallway and the other way for the Thompson hallway), but they have 6 elevators so wait times shouldn't be too bad even when both properties are busy. The main negative was the hallway noise was pretty terrible. Hopefully they'll add something under the doors to dampen that some, but you could hear housekeeping on the complete other end of the hall knock and say "Housekeeping" every few minutes as clear as day.

The property reminded me a lot of the W Austin (in a good way). Lots of concrete and pretty modern (but not over the top like some Ws). I think this hotel will be a great option, but I plan to wait until the restaurant and main bar are open before returning. It will also be interesting to see what type of crowd it attracts. The W is a much different hotel during the week vs. the weekend, and I wonder if this hotel will end with a similar feel.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the response! My stay isn't until May, so hopefully most of the kinks will be ironed out.

Your comment on the suites explains the confusing explanation I received from them.

I am really happy to have a higher end option with Hyatt in Austin.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold

I upgraded to the San Juancito suite with a cert today for a stay in early March.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Thank you for the response! My stay isn't until May, so hopefully most of the kinks will be ironed out.

Your comment on the suites explains the confusing explanation I received from them.

I am really happy to have a higher end option with Hyatt in Austin.
I think by May things should be in good shape. With what I saw, I would be surprised if the restaurants and bars were all open by the end of March, but who knows.

And the Driskill would be disappointed to read the last line
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Dined at Wax Myrtle's yesterday...was...OK. Only a few mains, a lot more shared plates. They have a lot more couch-style seating for dinner than tables, which I personally don't love.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Agree on the Driskill. lovely property, but I am tired of the false advertising. I have requested a haunted room every time and every time have been left disappointed by the lack of supernatural.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:50 am

any recent stays? is all the construction/new opening hitches done?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Looking to stay either here or the tommie soon, but have been dissuaded by peak points pricing. Still, I saw that supposedly The Diner Bar opens today (April 1st) - curious if this affects Globalist breakfast as it looked like The Diner Bar is supposed to be open for breakfast.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 6:05 am

So Diner Bar is open but not for breakfast, breakfast is at Gray Market.

Hotel is definitely still being opened. Painting going on in hallways. One day saw some blue tape over signs on 3rd floor and next day it was gone. Not sure if rooms are arranged the way it will be or they are still working on it because nothing to make tea (nothing to boil water, no tea bags), only coffee. Light switches for bathroom finicky but eventually did get it to turn on lights. Keycard didn't work for pool on first day but next day fixed.

This is my first time staying at a Thompson, so not sure how this is "luxury" or maybe I have the wrong expectations. It is a darker theme, hallway looks nice. Black plastic toilet-meh. When on toilet can hear clearly next room, and they aren't yelling. Can hear doors banging shut out in hallway.
Not sure what staff are supposed to be like but can see a few different groups waiting in afternoon at front desk (no staff there, at least 6 people). Guest services picks up phone right away, may not be knowledgeable or return call though. Don't know if the style is just different in Texas but the way front desk speaks not so polished or nice (or maybe I just have a different impression) because semi-early morning some guest wanders over asking where to get coffee, front desk person says "just over there" (on West Coast that'd be considered insulting with that tone, as if that person were stupid). The tommie cafe is just over there, true, but not nice to point out person is blind and it is just under their nose.

Also find it interesting that main door isn't handicapped accessible, it is big and heavy and many times one has to open it oneself.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Looking to stay either here or the tommie soon, but have been dissuaded by peak points pricing. Still, I saw that supposedly The Diner Bar opens today (April 1st) - curious if this affects Globalist breakfast as it looked like The Diner Bar is supposed to be open for breakfast.
Breakfast option is downstairs in Gray Market, where they have full service if you sit at the bar (literally, sitting at a seat somewhere else is not the same. If you sit not at the bar you order at the cashier, etc). Selection isn't huge, food is decent, portions not that big (definitely not Texas-sized).
You can also do room service, which is labelled as Diner Bar.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
any recent stays? is all the construction/new opening hitches done?
The gym seems finished. The outdoor bar on the pool floor is also open, and the back private rooms of Myrtle also seem open.
They are still doing painting, I presume not all rooms are done.
Old May 1, 2022, 5:16 pm

There's something about having room rates at Thompson that are $100-$200 more than tommie yet the pool is packed and way too small for the property that makes me think letting that side have access is a bad idea.
​​​
Old May 4, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Stayed last month after a night on the town for a friend's birthday. King corner view, no upgrade offered (Globalist). Property is nice, but somewhat sterile feeling. A/C didn't work in the room - unacceptable for Austin, even if it's not triple digits yet. Maintenance came out twice to work on it, never got it fixed. No option to change rooms. Hot night, poor sleep. Talked to the manager about it at checkout, and they threw a trivial amount of points my way for the inconvenience. Won't be back.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRiver
Stayed last month after a night on the town for a friend's birthday. King corner view, no upgrade offered (Globalist). Property is nice, but somewhat sterile feeling. A/C didn't work in the room - unacceptable for Austin, even if it's not triple digits yet. Maintenance came out twice to work on it, never got it fixed. No option to change rooms. Hot night, poor sleep. Talked to the manager about it at checkout, and they threw a trivial amount of points my way for the inconvenience. Won't be back.
I would strongly suggest escalating to Hyatt Corporate. No AC in Texas is unacceptable.
ceebee100 and Sydneyberlin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.