Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Breakfast - will it ever improve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Breakfast - will it ever improve?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:42 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Globetrotter870
Not to come across as whining, but when I stay at Springhill Suites, Fairfield Inn, or Holiday Inn Express, I typically find a decent breakfast spread with a quality that's quite a bit above the level that Hyatt Place is delivering. Since this has happened at multiple properties, I think Hyatt Place's brand standards for breakfast are lower than its competitors. I've filled out post stay feedback surveys and gotten nice apologies from local management, but I don't necessarily think this is a local execution issue.

Have others observed that Hyatt Place delivers a substandard breakfast experience, or are there some properties that do it well?
WHAT???? The HIX breakfasts are one of the worst in the US. Shoe leather sausage patties, powdered eggs scrambled, or made into a Velvetta laden omelet. 100% lard gravy for the tasteless, floury biscuits and the rubber pancake machine to round out the offerings. Only a couple HIX have an edible breakfast, both in Asia-HIX Katong in SIN and the HIX Zhabei in Shanghai (nice Chinese pancake and egg stations though the buffet table has overcooked vege's and some mystery dishes for the more adventurous.) I haven't stayed at many HP's and HH's recently, just the HH Schaumburg which was pretty good, well by free breakfast standards. FF's can sometimes be good or bad, SS's ehhhh!
Old Dec 12, 2021, 7:04 pm

Perhaps this being overly picky about the specific items at a HP? I've been to HP Grand Rapid-South, Fairbanks, Moab, and St. George this year (plus a handful of HHs) and all have had the basic hot items (protein, egg, carb), bagels/toast, pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereals, and oatmeal. Nothing pre-pandemic I would have expected that wasn't listed above. Comparatively more options that can be expected of a Hampton Inn and I don't stay enough at equivalent Marriott properties for an opinion.

Some HPs (like Moab) have more options than others, but IMO that is the exception rather than the expected norm.

Expecting a specific kind of fruit, yogurt, oatmeal flavor, etc seems over the top for the HP price point.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 7:31 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Alpinetrekker
Pre-pandemic, I considered HP breakfast to be a step above Hampton and Holiday Inn Express. They consistently had oatmeal, fresh berries, greek yogurt and hard boiled eggs. I tended to skip the powdered scrambled eggs, but it was still easy to put together a high quality healthy breakfast. Sadly, I have yet to find a property that's back to that level.
Agree fully I avoid most of them like the plague as a result
A terrible Hyatt House on the other hand that was nasty to stay in actually had a passable breakfast on the other hand for a limited service property
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by coleslaw
That’s pretty typical for Hyatt Place (& House) in the US. Internationally it tends to be slightly better.

When I stay at Hyatt Place it’s usually only because it offers the lowest rate vs comparable Marriott / Hilton properties. Globalist benefits are negligible.
I ate Hyatt Place (Cabo) breakfast for a month. It was very good in my opinion. More like lunch offerings and you could even make fajitas.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I stayed at the Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree this past Aug and the breakfast was actually pretty good - even better than pre-covid IMHO.
fotoflyer88 and madmanshoney like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:26 pm

While Hyatt Place breakfast is underwhelming, I wouldn't called it above Spring Hill Suites or Fairfield Inn.

The soggy fruit salad, however, is a gonna go item, its nasty.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree with the OP and their frustration. Just two years ago the HP breakfast was better than a Hampton Inn or Springhill Suites/Fairfield Inn. Now the Hilton and Marriott chains are back to where they were two years ago but Hyatt Places are not. Often I'm stuck with a cold breakfast sandwich still in its wrapper. And HPs are often priced higher than similar Hilton/Marriott/IHG brands so it's doubly frustrating.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I agree with the OP and their frustration. Just two years ago the HP breakfast was better than a Hampton Inn or Springhill Suites/Fairfield Inn. Now the Hilton and Marriott chains are back to where they were two years ago but Hyatt Places are not. Often I'm stuck with a cold breakfast sandwich still in its wrapper. And HPs are often priced higher than similar Hilton/Marriott/IHG brands so it's doubly frustrating.
Sadly it’s not just the breakfast that has suffered and was never anything to write home about but properties that smell and have become run down
I avoid most of the limited service properties except where reviews are solid or the location and rate
may make great sense
When the Hyatt Place brand concept was first developed they were brilliantly on to something
Where they failed miserably was a budget food and beverage program inferior to say a Hilton Garden Inn without full kitchens
i suppose the idea appealed to Franchise owners trying to save money.There have been vast improvements in more recent years aboard within Europe ,Melbourne Au near the airport and at select properties where they put in real kitchens and improved quality variety and offerings.Not sure if they are still doing as well today as my Int travel has been close to 0 since COVID hit
The older Amerisuites turned Hyatt place in the US are particularly dreadful as they are noisy next to major freeways

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 1, 2022 at 1:55 pm
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
At the Hyatt Place Columbus, GA this week:

Really disappointing.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Looks like the perfect place to stay if you're on a diet!😁
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Looks horrible. I will need to make sure I don't stumble across this property.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Looks like the perfect place to stay if you're on a diet!😁
You’d probably find me jogging over to IHOP across the street.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:23 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Holy amount of carbs and... more carbs very single day 🤢☠️
Originally Posted by CMK10
At the Hyatt Place Columbus, GA this week:

Really disappointing.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Unless I'm in a hurry, I just find something on the regular menu and pay for it at HPs.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:48 pm

I avoid these properties like the plague the vast majority are an embarrassment with dire need of renovations
If I find myself trapped in one by default likely a new build even if older I always dine out and go to the nearest Hilton Garden Inn or
other full service hotel or restaurant if nearby
Its truly time to rip the brand off some of these aging properties and not damage the Hyatt reputation any further.
The concept itself was fairly solid in its day but its already somewhat dated
There are some really good Hyatt Places out there but unfortunately they are the exception properties
If I even hear former Amerisuites I know to run not walk to something else.
Immediately I think lipstick on the pig next to a noisy highway and bad breakfast with likely poorly maintained odor filled rooms
Thank God for full service Hyatt's some with outstanding brand standards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.