Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Breakfast - will it ever improve?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Breakfast - will it ever improve?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: Southwest, AA, Starwood, MR
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I ate Hyatt Place (Cabo) breakfast for a month. It was very good in my opinion. More like lunch offerings and you could even make fajitas.
How recently were you at the HP Cabo? I'm tentatively booked for a 1-night stay there hoping to stock up on a few supplies (drinks/snacks) and maybe visit a San Jose restaurant for dinner before moving to a nicer/pricier place the rest of the trip. How easy was it to get to the beach and into town from the HP?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by lsprice
How recently were you at the HP Cabo? I'm tentatively booked for a 1-night stay there hoping to stock up on a few supplies (drinks/snacks) and maybe visit a San Jose restaurant for dinner before moving to a nicer/pricier place the rest of the trip. How easy was it to get to the beach and into town from the HP?
I was there approximately Aug 15-Sept 15th 2021. You just walk across the street and you're at the beach and the grass covered beach umbrellas are free. About 12 of them. I took beer with me daily and some snacks and guys would walk by selling snacks too. The water can be stronger when there's a storm coming. I was there during hurricane season. The water is calmer further south though. But, I didn't want to be around a lot of tourists, so enjoyed San Jose for a full month of relaxation. lol

*get a room behind the elevators, not the main hallway. The views are spectacular. You can get the food/breakfast to go....so ask for a container to take back to your room. But, the food was really good considering it was breakfast.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I guess we must be the only non picky ones here, we just got done booking a huge route 66 trip and mostly picked Hyatt Places along the way when possible because short of the one or two bad properties, their breakfast to us is always pretty consistent and you can at least fill up a bit to get to lunch.

With that being said we have been at a Hyatt recently, and i can't remember which one, that was DREADFUL for breakfast and I assume this was after covid. But then we stayed at the one in Fairbanks Alaska and that was pretty good. I'm not sure what everyone here is expecting for breakfast but in our opinion HP does it better than most other hotels in that range although I will admit a few years back, there was better selection and quality. Covid excuse hasn't helped.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:38 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by miadukes
I guess we must be the only non picky ones here, we just got done booking a huge route 66 trip and mostly picked Hyatt Places along the way when possible because short of the one or two bad properties, their breakfast to us is always pretty consistent and you can at least fill up a bit to get to lunch.

With that being said we have been at a Hyatt recently, and i can't remember which one, that was DREADFUL for breakfast and I assume this was after covid. But then we stayed at the one in Fairbanks Alaska and that was pretty good. I'm not sure what everyone here is expecting for breakfast but in our opinion HP does it better than most other hotels in that range although I will admit a few years back, there was better selection and quality. Covid excuse hasn't helped.
Picky equals likely better educated, selective ,sophisticated ,discerning and likely affluent
which is Hyatts bread and butter customer Historically
Hyatt Place is fast food on a Buffett and most of their core customers may want
a better food and beverage experience.
My dad when he was alive enjoyed Wendy’s for lunch I didn’t but it’s also
about personal preferences and subjective

What you put in your body is who you are and how good you will feel that day
and perhaps your long term health
it’s your decision as a diner to consume good quality or bad quality and know the
difference but in the long run there may be consequences for
thinking canned fruit powdered eggs poor quality or non existent produce
and microwaved bacon is a decent quality breakfast
Unfortunately when Hyatt Places were originally launched they did not put in proper kitchens
and why some other chains may have better quality.It was about slashing costs and attracting franchise owners
I’ve noticed internationally such as Melbourne Australia they can produce higher quality
offerings @ Hyatt Place so it can be done

At the end of the day Hyatt built their reputation on quality full service lodging
and premium food and beverage and many of those customers resent
mediocre or inferior quality when paying a premium for a limited service property up to 400 dollars a night
For that reason I personally try and avoid the brand and seek a 4 star for the same or a few dollars more
Nothing wrong with being a Motel 6 customer as long as you can live with it and keeps you satisfied
Life is to short for Wonder Bread and Pop Tarts as pastry 😃🙈
Signed one of the more picky ones
Hydro88 likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 29, 2022 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Picky equals likely better educated, selective ,sophisticated ,discerning and likely affluent
which is Hyatts bread and butter customer Historically
Hyatt Place is fast food on a Buffett and most of their core customers may want
a better food and beverage experience.
My dad when he was alive enjoyed Wendy’s for lunch I didn’t but it’s also
about personal preferences and subjective

What you put in your body is who you are and how good you will feel that day
and perhaps your long term health
it’s your decision as a diner to consume good quality or bad quality and know the
difference but in the long run there may be consequences for
thinking canned fruit powdered eggs poor quality or non existent produce
and microwaved bacon is a decent quality breakfast
Unfortunately when Hyatt Places were originally launched they did not put in proper kitchens
and why some other chains may have better quality.It was about slashing costs and attracting franchise owners
I’ve noticed internationally such as Melbourne Australia they can produce higher quality
offerings @ Hyatt Place so it can be done

At the end of the day Hyatt built their reputation on quality full service lodging
and premium food and beverage and many of those customers resent
mediocre or inferior quality when paying a premium for a limited service property up to 400 dollars a night
For that reason I personally try and avoid the brand and seek a 4 star for the same or a few dollars more
Nothing wrong with being a Motel 6 customer as long as you can live with it and keeps you satisfied
Life is to short for Wonder Bread and Pop Tarts as pastry 😃🙈
Signed one of the more picky ones
I'm not sure if you are insulted by my choice of words but I can assure you that my intent wasn't to insult anyone. I don't think I've ever paid $400 for an HP but I guess I also just assume that HP is the lowest hanging fruit of the chain so don't expect anything much in terms of breakfast and neither should most people who choose to stay here. I totally agree with what you put in your body but I also don't worry about that for every single meal I eat. We used to forego most of these free breakfasts because they truly are horrid and I, like you, don't do powdered eggs but lately if I can get a yogurt, which at HP is usually a name brand, and a bagel, that would be enough to fill up until lunch. Having a mediocre HP breakfast 30 days out of the year is not going to make me unhealthy lol Nowhere in my post did I say I thought it was a high quality offering.

In my experience, and this was mostly pre covid, they had actual food that wasn't processed garbage, like a boiled egg, yogurt and granola. I definitely agree with the beverage part, that is horrendous so I just bring down a water bottle. Either way, we are just going to disagree on food choices so I will go back to having my wendy's for lunch, btw I'm with you dad on this one, wendys rocks but thank you for calling me uneducated, unsophisticated and poor
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:37 am

I'm not sure if you are insulted by my choice of words but I can assure you that my intent wasn't to insult anyone. I don't think I've ever paid $400 for an HP but I guess I also just assume that HP is the lowest hanging fruit of the chain so don't expect anything much in terms of breakfast and neither should most people who choose to stay here. I totally agree with what you put in your body but I also don't worry about that for every single meal I eat. We used to forego most of these free breakfasts because they truly are horrid and I, like you, don't do powdered eggs but lately if I can get a yogurt, which at HP is usually a name brand, and a bagel, that would be enough to fill up until lunch. Having a mediocre HP breakfast 30 days out of the year is not going to make me unhealthy lol Nowhere in my post did I say I thought it was a high quality offering.

In my experience, and this was mostly pre covid, they had actual food that wasn't processed garbage, like a boiled egg, yogurt and granola. I definitely agree with the beverage part, that is horrendous so I just bring down a water bottle. Either way, we are just going to disagree on food choices so I will go back to having my wendy's for lunch, btw I'm with you dad on this one, wendys rocks but thank you for calling me uneducated, unsophisticated and poor
Never taken as an insult just different points of view which is respected and understood.
There are many fans of Holiday Inn express breakfasts and Hampton Inns as examples
Different strokes for different folks.I'm pretty happy with Hilton Gardens Inns in the lower category hotels and all is subjective depending on the guest
I appreciate your point of view too.My younger family members on the occasion we travel together always ask me if we can go eat breakfast
elsewhere if we stay at a Hyatt Place
So for me staying elsewhere just makes better sense typically
I will be staying at the Hyatt Place Airport in Austin soon which seems to be fairly well rated maybe I'll be happily surprised.
Certainly great value on points and thats rare these days!
Cheers
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:50 am

but thank you for calling me uneducated, unsophisticated and poor
To add
Was referring to Hyatt's core customer as was the former SPGs core demographic
I guess comments can be taken out of context and internalized in less than a New York minute
My apologies if that is what was the perceived take away from my post.
We all float our opinions here and while we all can agree or disagree it should never be taken personally.
Neither one of is right or wrong.Its simply our own life experience and personal expectations
Thank you for your contribution to this thread and forum
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:34 pm

Never taken as an insult just different points of view which is respected and understood.
There are many fans of Holiday Inn express breakfasts and Hampton Inns as examples
Different strokes for different folks.I'm pretty happy with Hilton Gardens Inns in the lower category hotels and all is subjective depending on the guest
I appreciate your point of view too.My younger family members on the occasion we travel together always ask me if we can go eat breakfast
elsewhere if we stay at a Hyatt Place
So for me staying elsewhere just makes better sense typically
I will be staying at the Hyatt Place Airport in Austin soon which seems to be fairly well rated maybe I'll be happily surprised.
Certainly great value on points and thats rare these days!
Cheers
Ok good, because i wasn't trying to be insulting. and typically eating anywhere other than the hotel is our preferred choice too!! but we have a pretty big road trip broken up with a lot of travel on different weekends so a yogurt and bagel will be my way to cheap out LOL we actually got a couple of hyatt places for 3,500 points, talk about value, i also stayed with the brand to try to requalify for Explorist.
To add
Was referring to Hyatt's core customer as was the former SPGs core demographic
I guess comments can be taken out of context and internalized in less than a New York minute
My apologies if that is what was the perceived take away from my post.
We all float our opinions here and while we all can agree or disagree it should never be taken personally.
Neither one of is right or wrong.Its simply our own life experience and personal expectations
Thank you for your contribution to this thread and forum
no worries, but the rest of your post was respectable so I was like wait a minute lol, all good, and agreed, no one I know travels the same, we all value different things and like you said it just a matter of preference. We easily go from the Motel 6 to a waldorf astoria and don't blink. just depends on whats available and what the deals are.
bolding mine, same!
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:42 pm

I like the breakfast potatoes a little too much....... I may or may not have had several platesful with Tobasco this morning. ☹️

In other news, the coffee is terrible.
Global Adventurer and rcch0 like this.

Last edited by fly2nrt; Mar 29, 2022 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:22 pm

no longer hopeful

Hyatt Place breakfast has never been great, but I do remember it varying slightly on weekdays. They’d change up the potato side dish. Hyatt Houses haven’t brought back the omelette bar at locations I’ve stayed at post-covid. Like I said, never special or great, but it’s pretty bad now.
ceebee100 and miadukes like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that the HP breakfast is nothing special but I disagree with all the nasty comments about the brand. I've never really had a bad experience at a US Hyatt Place (Los Cabos was another story).

For the price point you get a very spacious room (really, a suite) that is comfortable. Of course, it's not a full service hotel, but they don't claim to be.

I've had plenty of amazing breakfasts at various mid- or high-end Hyatt properties. I don't expect the same from a HP. Honestly since they give free breakfast to everyone who has a free membership, and the rooms are so cheap, I'm not sure how much better it can be. And to be competitive with the rest of the low end market they have to offer breakfast to everyone (not only Globalists)

Honestly I have more of a problem with the "standard" US HR breakfasts because those are not cheap to stay at and the food is always terrible. I actively seek out HRs without lounges) or with closed lounges in the US so I can get restaurant breakfast.

I guess at HP I feel like I'm getting what I pay for. If I want better (and I often do) I'll stay at a more expensive hotel.
lowfareair, strickerj and miadukes like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: Southwest, AA, Starwood, MR
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I agree that the HP breakfast is nothing special but I disagree with all the nasty comments about the brand. I've never really had a bad experience at a US Hyatt Place (Los Cabos was another story).
What was your bad experience at the Cabo HP?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsprice
What was your bad experience at the Cabo HP?
I posted a review on the thread (a while back... must have been around 2017) but they did not have my room ready anywhere close to check-in time and they were unable to get the room cleaned while I was at the beach all day (ie, I would come back in the evening and the room had still not been cleaned).

It was also just really run down and anything they had for sale (food, water) was extremely overpriced (even by hotel standards)

I have no idea what it's like now. I haven't been back.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I posted a review on the thread (a while back... must have been around 2017) but they did not have my room ready anywhere close to check-in time and they were unable to get the room cleaned while I was at the beach all day (ie, I would come back in the evening and the room had still not been cleaned).

It was also just really run down and anything they had for sale (food, water) was extremely overpriced (even by hotel standards)

I have no idea what it's like now. I haven't been back.
I'm not doubting you, but are you sure it was the Hyatt Place in Cabo San Jose? I was there for a month last year and loved it. I had to keep the housekeepers at bay since they constantly wanted to clean my room and I don't get housekeeping due to covid19. And breakfast was more like lunch. I had no problems there. The only reason I won't go back there is because I didn't like Cabo. Just too touristy and reminds me of being in California USA and not Mexico.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 7:27 pm

Who came up with this newish thing of ending breakfast at 9AM? Not all of us are early birds. 🙃

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.