Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Plans to Acquire Apple Leisure Group

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Plans to Acquire Apple Leisure Group

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Ziva / Zilara already do some of that with their club rooms/buildings. Limiting access to some pools and amenities, having bars within the club that stock the higher end liquor and cocktail ingredients, etc.

It’s not as egregious as what I imagine the UVC to be, but it’s along similar(ish) lines.
The Hyatt on Bali--I think it's Grand but it might be Regency--has/had a pool that's only for club level guests, although I'm not sure how much this has been enforced.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lowfareair
The more this is discussed, the more it appears Hyatt isn't paying $2.7 billion for 100 resorts. A big portion of this is for the new booking channels you mention.
Sure, they are not just paying for the resorts. This goes back to my earlier point that the acquisition makes Hyatt closer to a travel conglomerate. It remains to be seen if they will be able to compete as such.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Long ago, I learned not to take headline prices for an acquisition as being the ultimate price for an acquisition for the shareholders. Add on to it the way things go with US corporate taxes, with US taxes for pass-thru entities and their beneficiaries, with estate planning, and with dirt cheap financing and I would say it’s riskier to jump to a conclusion about this being an “expensive” acquisition than to jump to a conclusion about this not being an “expensive” price under the current circumstances.
Point taken. And I have to admit I'm not really clued up on transfer pricing and similar techniques. Although I believe recent supranational agreements should somehow make these practices less profitable.

Last edited by FlyerTalker324193; Aug 16, 2021 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 8mh
I am so surprised some seem to defend Hyatt on this one. Hyatt is paying $2.7 b. Hyatt has like 1050 properties and a market cap of $7.3 b. Today's price tag is equivalent to 37% of their market cap. And that's for ~100 resorts, none of which looks particularly aspirational to me.

They are buying 100 resorts in immediate beach proximity in boring tourist places like Mallorca or Punta Cana. Mostly all-inclusive resorts for the most un-adventurous traveller which does not even want to have to decide on local dining. And I guess there's more: The tour operator selling vacation packages using brands such as Southwest Vacations, United Vacations, or Cheap Carribean.

Sorry, but this is a pretty sad direction for Hyatt to take. And it seems they paid a very dear price, too.
This.

I woke up today to a friend texting me about this acquisition and how he didn't see it coming, and I dismissed my initial "meh"-ness to my haze of awakening. After spending the day listening to the webcast and reading into some of the details - i.e. the footprint, plans and such - I still can't help but feel like this is all so lackluster in the aggregate. I'll share some thoughts below:

The good:
  • From one perspective, Hyatt owning the travel platforms being brought onboard with this acquisition gives them an advantage of promoting their family of hotels above anyone else's, and they'd still collect revenue from people utilizing those platforms regardless of where guests book. Sounds good financially.
  • By absorbing the planned ALG pipeline - 60 percent of the 24 confirmed properties are presently under construction, and 40 more are under negotiation - Hyatt can utilize this opportunity to negotiate with owners and grow some of their core brands. For example, design-wise, this new Dreams property in Punta de Mita could easily be an Andaz. I could see Hyatt rebranding some of the existing hotels as well as bringing some of the upcoming ones into some of the portfolios we're familiar with.
The not-so-good:
  • I don't like the idea of Hyatt acquiring another company and running it separately. They've already got 19 confirmed brands, most of which have less than 50 hotels in their portfolios, and adding a new set only stretches them out further. I would MUCH rather have seen them find ways to expand what they've got.
  • Most of the ALG portfolio is in the Caribbean and North America region, where Hyatt already has the bulk of its footprint. Their "landmark expansion" in Europe is literally giving them a bunch of hotels in Spain and three in Greece - unremarkable. I know Spain is an incredibly popular destination, but the focus is too singular on a particular destination rather than on a varied portfolio. Hyatt speaks of excellent expansion opportunities for the ALG brands in new destinations across Europe, the Middle East and Asia but again, these are longer-term prospects rather than immediate gains.
  • None of these hotels look aspirational, and the all-inclusive thing doesn't do it for me. I have yet to stay at an all-inclusive; historically and as someone in their early 30s, they haven't appealed to me as I visualize factory settings populated by hordes of screaming children everywhere and at all hours [nightmares], loud parents exhausted to the point of insanity and not giving any f__ks, super-drunk adults, lackluster food, boom-boom music everywhere and disenchanted staff who have to deal with the fustercluck detailed above. Maybe it's better than I imagine, I'll give you that... but for the time being, none of these hotels are properties I'd seek out or necessarily be happy to have as options.
  • Hyatt is paying HUGE money for this, and I don't feel like it's all that great considering what they're paying for what is ultimately 100 properties and some downmarket tour platforms... but I'm not a finance or investment guy.
I suppose I was hoping for an acquisition of something more exciting, upmarket and relevant to the existing Hyatt portfolio like Meliá or Malmaison, and instead got an overloaded beach bag full of sand and sticky plastic. Meh.

khabah
MSPeconomist and WasKnown like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This group of about a hundred resorts would have room counts higher than the average in Hyatt's current portfolio. It's hard to evaluate the price since Apple Vacations and other stuff is part of the deal, but it doesn't look like a good business decision to me. It's not much diversification and I don't see big synergies beyond the hope of acquiring some customers who will stay in other Hyatt hotels, assuming that their employers in Europe will permit them to pick Hyatts, that business travel will resume, and that these people do significant business travel.

However I'm confused in that it seems like Hyatt is buying the actual resorts (real estate) as part of the deal and this seems to be different from Hyatt's current strategy of emphasizing franchises.

I wonder what property rights the folks who have bought into their loyalty program will have and for how long.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by 8mh
This argument was used repeatedly now but I don't see the relevance. The overall ADR for the properties Hyatt picked up today is $120 period.
The investor deck put out earlier today shows even the absolute lowest-end brand of the group has an ADR of $125. Slide 7. Do you have a source on your overall $120 number other than a wild and biased guess?

Edit: I didn't vet these numbers, but it looks like the median ADR I'm seeing here of about $225 is a higher ADR than the Hyatt full-service line in any region. Source
Warriorconcept and coleslaw like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:53 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by itsallgood
Hyatt already has a timeshare arm; Hyatt Residences. I'd never buy one; YMMV.
Hyatt simply licenses the name to HRC. HRC is owned by a company called Marriott Vacations Worldwide (which was spun off by the hotel chain company called Marriott about a decade ago)
GUWonder and notquiteaff like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by khabah
None of these hotels look aspirational, and the all-inclusive thing doesn't do it for me. I have yet to stay at an all-inclusive; historically and as someone in their early 30s, they haven't appealed to me as I visualize factory settings populated by hordes of screaming children everywhere and at all hours [nightmares], loud parents exhausted to the point of insanity and not giving any f__ks, super-drunk adults, lackluster food, boom-boom music everywhere and disenchanted staff who have to deal with the fustercluck detailed above. Maybe it's better than I imagine, I'll give you that... but for the time being, none of these hotels are properties I'd seek out or necessarily be happy to have as options.
Great analysis, I agree with most of your points.

On this particular one, I am with you on a personal level. All-inclusive isn't appealing to me, either. However, it should be acknowleged that Hyatt was one among several players that managed to grow all-inclusive beyond its traditional niche going back to Club Med and what not. For instance, they actually pull it off to attract young people that book luxury all-inclusive resorts for things like a honeymoon. Of course, it seems the 100 properties in question aren't quite what you would call luxury..
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However I'm confused in that it seems like Hyatt is buying the actual resorts (real estate) as part of the deal and this seems to be different from Hyatt's current strategy of emphasizing franchises.

I wonder what property rights the folks who have bought into their loyalty program will have and for how long.
I didn't get the impression that they were buying much real estate as part of this deal. They've specifically been referring to it as "asset light" (in line with their broader strategy - and plans to divest some of Hyatt's existing assets). Did you see any details on what real estate is included?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by skj
Hyatt simply licenses the name to HRC. HRC is owned by a company called Marriott Vacations Worldwide (which was spun off by the hotel chain company called Marriott about a decade ago)
And “Hyatt Residences” is actually something else

https://www.hyatt.com/info/hyatt-residences

(I remember when that was announced/discussed here… and then promptly forgot)
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:10 pm
Suspended

The investor deck put out earlier today shows even the absolute lowest-end brand of the group has an ADR of $125. Slide 7. Do you have a source on your overall $120 number other than a wild and biased guess?
Oops, I take that back. Not a guess, but I think I looked at numbers during a peak covid quarter. Obv, not the way to go. You're right we better stick to the number from the Hyatt presentation which are considerably higher.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:24 pm

Edit: I didn't vet these numbers, but it looks like the median ADR I'm seeing here of about $225 is a higher ADR than the Hyatt full-service line in any region. Source
I'd expect all inclusive properties to have higher ADRs for the same location and qualify level.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I didn't get the impression that they were buying much real estate as part of this deal. They've specifically been referring to it as "asset light" (in line with their broader strategy - and plans to divest some of Hyatt's existing assets). Did you see any details on what real estate is included?
You may be right. I was trying to explain/justify the price tag and it seemed to me that including real estate would be the only way that would make sense.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by 8mh
I am so surprised some seem to defend Hyatt on this one. Hyatt is paying $2.7 b. Hyatt has like 1050 properties and a market cap of $7.3 b. Today's price tag is equivalent to 37% of their market cap. And that's for ~100 resorts, none of which looks particularly aspirational to me.

They are buying 100 resorts in immediate beach proximity in boring tourist places like Mallorca or Punta Cana. Mostly all-inclusive resorts for the most un-adventurous traveller which does not even want to have to decide on local dining. And I guess there's more: The tour operator selling vacation packages using brands such as Southwest Vacations, United Vacations, or Cheap Carribean.

Sorry, but this is a pretty sad direction for Hyatt to take. And it seems they paid a very dear price, too.
If you are just looking at the 100 hotels and resorts it might not be a good investment in comparison to their current market value and number of hotels but I assume Hyatt thinks the tour business and bookings is worth something or they wouldn't be paying this price for them. There's clearly some money to be made on the bookings side which you seem to want to not acknowledge since you are focusing on just the properties. And just because you think they are hotels for the un-adventurous traveler (which I don't necessarily disagree with you on) doesn't mean they can't be profitable.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Question - does the consistency of the Hyatt brand impact you in any way if you simply continue to stay at the particular Hyatt properties that interest you and ignore the properties (like the ones acquired) that don't?
If the properties that I stay at start to downgrade elite benefits, I'll stop patronizing them. This type of hodgepodge diversification almost always causes loss of focus for companies.
It starts with little thing like less generous credits for breakfast when the lounge is closed (Hyatt's already checking that box at a couple of my recent stays)
to the smoked salmon disappearing from the lounge breakfast spread
to lower quality/cost foods in the lounge
to an all starch breakfast spread in the lounge.
And there are other small reductions in cost that hotels make to increase margins.

I'm not willing to pay a Hyatt premium for a Hilton/Marriott/IHG experience. Unfortunately, Fairmont's been taken over by Accor and diminished that brand so I'll have to start looking for another escape option. Same with Kimpton and IHG. All of these buyouts are trashing upper middle tier hotel brands.
MSPeconomist and WasKnown like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You may be right. I was trying to explain/justify the price tag and it seemed to me that including real estate would be the only way that would make sense.
I would be surprised if there was any significant property included in the purchase. I haven't seen any announcement that refers to physical property being included, everything's been focused on the management/platform side of things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.