Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Plans to Acquire Apple Leisure Group

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Plans to Acquire Apple Leisure Group

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by itsallgood
If the properties that I stay at start to downgrade elite benefits, I'll stop patronizing them. This type of hodgepodge diversification almost always causes loss of focus for companies.
It starts with little thing like less generous credits for breakfast when the lounge is closed (Hyatt's already checking that box at a couple of my recent stays)
to the smoked salmon disappearing from the lounge breakfast spread
to lower quality/cost foods in the lounge
to an all starch breakfast spread in the lounge.
And there are other small reductions in cost that hotels make to increase margins.

I'm not willing to pay a Hyatt premium for a Hilton/Marriott/IHG experience. Unfortunately, Fairmont's been taken over by Accor and diminished that brand so I'll have to start looking for another escape option. Same with Kimpton and IHG. All of these buyouts are trashing upper middle tier hotel brands.
That sounds rather pessimistic/drastic given that it's (literally) day one. The deal hasn't even closed yet. They've also made it clear that this will be run as a separate business for the foreseeable future.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Well, yes, that’s what diversification is.
LOL! You're correct. I should have specified whether it was good or bad diversification, but I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder.
Diversification into low end properties allows more people to hit top tier with very little spend.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by coleslaw
That sounds rather pessimistic/drastic given that it's (literally) day one. The deal hasn't even closed yet. They've also made it clear that this will be run as a separate business for the foreseeable future.
I take it you weren't a Marriott member pre-Sorenson. The biggest knock was that it was a bland, predictable brand. Now it's as crappy as Hilton. And they trashed SPG in the process.
I diversified into Hyatt and Fairmont when the changes started taking place. Unfortunately, Accor killed the Fairmont experience pretty quickly so I abandoned them.
So yes, there's a reason why I'm pessimistic.

Hyatt is shifting from being a quality upper end product to emphasizing margins above all else. If you don't think Hyatt's change in direction will result in a death by a thousand cuts, you haven't stayed at other hotel chains when they went through this change. I really hope that I'm wrong but I've seen this crapshow before.
We are witnessing the death of the hotel experience (across all brands) just like the airline experience died a few decades ago. And even first class isn't a safe haven anymore.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Question - does the consistency of the Hyatt brand impact you in any way if you simply continue to stay at the particular Hyatt properties that interest you and ignore the properties (like the ones acquired) that don't?
It does in ways. For example, it means I may have to spend more time having to figure out what to expect from a property in the group — and potentially consider alternatives — than simply assuming that the group affiliation means consistency at the group property that at passing glance seems conveniently enough located for my purpose.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lowfareair
The investor deck put out earlier today shows even the absolute lowest-end brand of the group has an ADR of $125. Slide 7. Do you have a source on your overall $120 number other than a wild and biased guess?

Edit: I didn't vet these numbers, but it looks like the median ADR I'm seeing here of about $225 is a higher ADR than the Hyatt full-service line in any region. Source
Aren’t a bunch of these seasonal properties such that their ADR is for the part of the year when they are operating, even as then some of the properties are closed in part or entirely for some weeks/months of the year?

Higher ADR at an all-inclusive is going to have properties run into issues of staffing costs and food costs and some other stuff that traditional business city-center Hyatt properties don’t necessarily face in the same exact way. But since Hyatt already got its feet wet with this kind of business, getting in deeper shouldn’t be surprising.
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 16, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:37 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I read quite a lot of negativity here.
I sent the link to my wife and she has been browsing a couple of hours today through many hotels and she is fascinated. There are a lot of beautiful hotels that fit perfectly into the portfolio of Hyatt. Have not browsed the ones in Europe yet. But all those in the Caribbean, Panama, Costa Rica look gorgeous. Already making plans…. Only needs to be integrated into WoH…. And that travel opens up again…..

It seems many in this thread are hotel experts. I am sure though that Hyatt has thought this through thoroughly before acquiring… they can‘t be that „wrong“. They have made a couple of wise decisions lately…
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by khabah
  • None of these hotels look aspirational, and the all-inclusive thing doesn't do it for me. I have yet to stay at an all-inclusive; historically and as someone in their early 30s...
I probably would have said the same thing 10 years ago. "I don't like it, but never tried it." But now, sometimes I want a trip where there is no planning, no budgeting, no commitments. Just a book, on a beach, where I can lose all sense of time and place. Is it the only thing I want? Heck no, but I've had enough trips where I get worn-out from the constant sorting out where the good local food is vs the tourist -slop immitators, sort out what activities we will do, calculate how much cash to convert and where not to get ripped off, strategize what time a certain site has less crowds, etc. I find myself dreaming (literally) more in images and feelings I had on low-end Carnival cruises where I had no care in the world for a week, than anything else.

And this purchase really blows open the door when it comes to the number of locations (especially) in Mexico where I can earn/burn within WOH (where I am most interested from a ease-to-get-to stand point, not sure why this thread is so focused on the Spanish resorts...)

And if this isn't something that suites you now, then that is that. Not sure why there is this much negativity about 100 some resorts coming into the WoH family....
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Came for Europe, ended up at the beach. The Caribbean is boring people. But yay for Spain???
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Aren’t a bunch of these seasonal properties such that their ADR is for the part of the year when they are operating, even as then some of the properties are closed in part or entirely for some weeks/months of the year?

Higher ADR at an all-inclusive is going to have properties run into issues of staffing costs and food costs and some other stuff that traditional business city-center Hyatt properties don’t necessarily face in the same exact way. But since Hyatt already got its feet wet with this kind of business, getting in deeper shouldn’t be surprising.
Most of the all-inclusives run year-round unless there is a big renovation going on (when they'll close now through November to do it). Off season they rotate through restaurants (so maybe half are open each night) to match occupancy.

As you say with your second line, luxury AIs have been around for years. They are not just profitable, they generally are higher margin than the budget AIs. Look at the ADRs in the deck I linked upthread, ALG's top range AI brand is 3x ADR than the bottom one. Additionally, this is a fee model where Hyatt licenses out the brands to other owners, the resort's profitability has little direct impact on Hyatt's bottom line (although long term they obviously want the resorts profitable so owners stay with them).
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ALG will be run separately from Hyatt. I suppose there will be no brand integration. I wonder how much participation in WoH for ALG properties?

Apple Leisure Group will still be under the leadership of CEO Alejandro Reynal, who will become a member of Hyatt’s executive leadership team and report to Hoplamazian.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/16/hyat...re-group-.html
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
ALG will be run separately from Hyatt. I suppose there will be no brand integration. I wonder how much participation in WoH for ALG properties?
l
I've seen that before. IHG stated that Kimpton would be run separately from the rest of their hotels. Now? Not so much.
There's a decent amount of savings by reducing the overhead staff.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MarkOK
not sure why this thread is so focused on the Spanish resorts...
Since I commented on that… it’s my disappointment that the anticipated European acquisition and expansion is essentially a whole bunch of hotels on Spanish island, a few on the mainland and three in Greece. Which is probably fine for a couple of trips for me in a few years, but probably doesn’t make Hyatt more viable for me as a loyalty program to focus on.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:51 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by khabah
[*]None of these hotels look aspirational, and the all-inclusive thing doesn't do it for me. I have yet to stay at an all-inclusive; historically and as someone in their early 30s, they haven't appealed to me as I visualize factory settings populated by hordes of screaming children everywhere and at all hours [nightmares], loud parents exhausted to the point of insanity and not giving any f__ks, super-drunk adults, lackluster food, boom-boom music everywhere and disenchanted staff who have to deal with the fustercluck detailed above. Maybe it's better than I imagine, I'll give you that... but for the time being, none of these hotels are properties I'd seek out or necessarily be happy to have as options.[*]Hyatt is paying HUGE money for this, and I don't feel like it's all that great considering what they're paying for what is ultimately 100 properties and some downmarket tour platforms... but I'm not a finance or investment guy.[/list]I suppose I was hoping for an acquisition of something more exciting, upmarket and relevant to the existing Hyatt portfolio like Meliá or Malmaison, and instead got an overloaded beach bag full of sand and sticky plastic. Meh.

khabah
Thanks for the great post. I agree in every regard.

--
Most of the posts here talking about the final acquisition price are highly questionable. Estate planning? For M&A... what? Can't even think about what this is in reference to. Carried interest? That does not matter for Hyatt the firm. Pass-through tax entities? It does not matter. Even if ALG were really a VIE in Cayman, the purchase price is the purchase price. The only somewhat reasonable thing mentioned is leverage but even that is incorrect in the context in which it was discussed. Leverage can make a deal more profitable. It does not make it cheaper in any sense other than TVM (which relies on many external factors we will discuss below).

Few thoughts: Like Hilton, ALG is a PE darling (but to a much smaller extent). Bain Capital sold it to KKR (a REPE mega fund by any definition of the term) and KSL in 2016. Hyatt is now acquiring the ALG from these funds in a deal that is largely expected to be paid through:

$1b cash
$500m equity financing
Remaining in debt

So yes, this is a VERY expensive deal for Hyatt. Please do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

JPM is financing $1.7b with most of this debt expected to be paid off with Hyatt's $2b asset sale. This is a pretty aggressive bet on Hyatt's ability to sell these assets effectively and a shift to generating more of its topline through fees on F&M vs. O&L properties. TBH, it's probably a good move financially. However, I challenge people on FlyerTalk to consider the implications this shift has on the guest experience. AFAIK, this transition always results in weaker brand standards and elite benefit delivery. Only time will tell but, personally, I wouldn't be going out of my way for lifetime Hyatt Globalist these days.

Also, just saying: the biggest thing that killed Starwood Hotels (even more so than their topline stagnation relative to peers) was their inability to sell off their hotel assets quickly enough. Will that happen here? Probably not (or certainly not to the extent that Starwood experienced). It's something to chew on though.
itsallgood likes this.

Last edited by WasKnown; Aug 16, 2021 at 8:57 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Hyatt will be able to get the $2 billion. They will get at least $1 billion from these alone:

Park Hyatt New York
Park Hyatt Paris
Park Hyatt Zurich
Ventana Big Sur
Miraval Phoenix
Confidante Miami Beach

Besides these they own some larger Hyatt Regency (Orlando, Phoenix) and interests in a few Hyatt Place that will get some attention.

So few brands (even luxury brands) own the actual real estate anymore that I think that it is not a distinction worth following that closely. Four Seasons owns 0 hotels.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:18 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Hyatt will be able to get the $2 billion. They will get at least $1 billion from these alone:

Park Hyatt New York
Park Hyatt Paris
Park Hyatt Zurich
Ventana Big Sur
Miraval Phoenix
Confidante Miami Beach

It doesn't matter if Hyatt owns hotels worth more than $2 billion. What matters is their ability to sell these assets quickly and effectively. Starwood didn't fail because its real estate did not have intrinsic value. It failed because it could not sell these assets quickly enough. However, Hyatt has done a reasonable job of selling its hotels so far so I am confident it will continue to do so (as mentioned originally). I just think there is some innate risk to financing a highly expensive deal like this. It is not expensive in the sense that they overpaid for what they're getting (the valuation for ALG is actually surprisingly fair, would be curious to see KKR's models on this sale). It is, however, expensive in the sense that Hyatt is committing a ton of its resources on this specific deal. I don't think this should be understated or dismissed. This is an undeniably big bet for Hyatt. If you want insight into the future of the Hyatt, this M&A deal is basically it. This is where Hyatt is heading. Interpret that for whatever it's worth.

So few brands (even luxury brands) own the actual real estate anymore that I think that it is not a distinction worth following that closely. Four Seasons owns 0 hotels.
It's actually the complete opposite. Hyatt is definitely not distinct for being asset-light because it has historically been quite asset-heavy. As you and many others on this forum have noted, the move to F&M over O&L has been a trend in the industry for years (and again, Starwood's inability to adapt to this quickly enough was a huge contributing factor in its sale). This entire deal is actually centered around that premise. They are selling O&L properties to finance a deal that would increase their fee-driven topline dramatically.

So yeah, there is no asset-light distinction for Hyatt. Rather, Hyatt is distinct because it was traditionally one of the most asset-heavy major players in this space. They have done a lot to sell off O&L inventory over the past few years but, up until very recently (not privy to what is concrete with this newly announced $2b sale), its O&L hotel segment was still disproportionately large vs. a firm like Marriott.

--

In the long run, I think this has the potential to be a highly profitable move for Hyatt. However, I don't think many customers will be happy with what the Hyatt guest experience becomes as Hyatt increases its profitability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.