Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Plans to Acquire Apple Leisure Group

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Plans to Acquire Apple Leisure Group

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
So - are these properties the equivalent of HR level at a minimum quality-wise? Doesn't seem like they are in the Thompson/Andaz/GH tier or anything.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:51 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So - are these properties the equivalent of HR level at a minimum quality-wise? Doesn't seem like they are in the Thompson/Andaz/GH tier or anything.
I think some of these (ie the Spanish all inclusive ones) are probably somewhere in the Holiday Inn to Crowne Plaza/Sheraton level, likely without the consistency of (new build) Hyatt Places. Definitely a new frontier for Hyatt.

But others here have pointed out that some of the properties in the Americas are far more high end.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
I saw Apple Vacations is part of the sale. Yuck. They're a low, low budget all inclusive airfare/hotel package. Bottom feeder.
Funjets is also part of this portfolio; another bottom feeder.

Is any of this acquisition something other than bottom feeders?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:13 pm

As someone who likes doing all-inclusives intermixed with more true 'explorer'-type trips (next two big trips I have are a week in Riviera Maya and two weeks traveling around Japan), this is great to see! AM Resorts is one of the largest all-inclusive operators and it wouldn't surprise me if Marriott/Hilton/IHG were suddenly interested in the Spanish operators like Iberostar or Barcelo.

These newly-acquired brands all affiliated with Choice's Ascend Collection last year. I wonder how the contract works for that, maybe an out clause with $x million? Can't imagine Hyatt bought this to have the resorts stay Choice-affiliated for the next 5-10 years.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It varies and hard to say exactly as it is different expectations. I only have knowledge of the Caribbean/Mexico properties, but I would align the Dreams/Now with HR, Secrets with GH, Breathless as Andaz-lite (party brand, probably more W if I had to compare to a hotel brand), and Zoetry as somewhere between GH/PH. Sunscape is the odd one out to me - it feels a bit low-end for Hyatt and really more of what people picture of the traditional all-inclusive. So-so buffets for most meals and practically no premium liquor brands unless in a 'club' room (and even then only at a club bar or 2). Haven't been to one, but just judging by reviews I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyatt either upgrade them or spin them off (where possible).

We'll probably know more tomorrow, but I'm interested to see if they retain their brands or get folded into other Hyatt brands. Regardless of whether they can use Ziva/Zilara (may be an exclusive with Playa Hotels), I'd expect the main brands to stay, possibly with a new "A Hyatt All-Inclusive" type of flourish added to the end. Now/Dreams is a bit lower end than Hyatt Ziva (and Sunscape way too low), Breathless is too party for Zilara, Zoetry too relaxing/upscale for Ziva, and Secrets seems like a good match for Zilara, but there is a lot of existing brand recognition that I don't see Hyatt wanting to throw away at this point.

#All-InclusiveNerd
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Just some speculation, but I doubt Hyatt keeps everything they acquired and could see some of the assets like gogo and funjets being sold off.

And many of the properties acquired could be renovated, enhanced and rebranded.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:23 pm

They vary a lot, many are AAA 4- or 5-Diamond resorts, many look dreadful.

Dreams/Secrets/Breathless are more or less direct competitors of Ziva/Zilara, new build can be fabulous, older properties may need a little touch up. In fact, the Zivas in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta were Dreams reflagged, the upcoming Ziva Riviera Cancun & Zilara Riviera Maya are also converted from Secrets.

Zoëtry resorts are boutique and emphasis on wellness. Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita has been AAA 5-Diamond for 17 consecutive years (according to their website), Zoëtry Mallorca is formerly Hilton Sa Torre.

Alua properties are on the lower end but Hyatt can put them under JdV and call it a day.

I cannot access Sunscape website.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Just some speculation, but I doubt Hyatt keeps everything they acquired and could see some of the assets like gogo and funjets being sold off.

And many of the properties acquired could be renovated, enhanced and rebranded.
I would personally guess that within 3-5 years, we will see those assets and CheapCaribbean gone, some Sunscapes converted to the standards of Dreams/Now (or whatever those brands become), and the rest of the Sunscape brand (and potentially a couple of the really downtrodden Dreams/Now/Secrets) spun off as its own brand independent of Hyatt.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As someone who has spent 30 days at Secrets properties in the last year, this is interesting for me. It will be interesting for what it means for both Hyatt and AMResorts
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by itsallgood
I saw Apple Vacations is part of the sale. Yuck. They're a low, low budget all inclusive airfare/hotel package. Bottom feeder.
Funjets is also part of this portfolio; another bottom feeder.

Is any of this acquisition something other than bottom feeders?
This was my first thought when I saw the word Apple in the thread title. Like the Big Red Boat and Carnival cruises, someone would need to *pay me a lot of money* to even consider one of these packages or to consider dealing with their "travel agents."

Stay classy, Hyatt.
dw, notquiteaff, HPN-HRL and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:38 pm

Oh, and Hyatt is having quite good relationships with the owners of many AMR properties (Hesperia, Playa, Groupo Hotelero Santa Fe) so the transition could be quick and smooth.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Hyatt has been trying to increase the percent of revenues it gets from fees and managed/franchised hotels. If the travel agent / packaged tour business is substantial, they may keep it even if it is lower end
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Hyatt has been trying to increase the percent of revenues it gets from fees and managed/franchised hotels. If the travel agent / packaged tour business is substantial, they may keep it even if it is lower end
Thinking about it some more, you're probably right. They may just have it as a separate subsidiary practically unbranded from Hyatt with the closest it would impact anyone on this forum being the potential option to earn points if you book a Hyatt property through one of the packaged tour companies (although probably not, if only to better differentiate the options).
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This was my first thought when I saw the word Apple in the thread title. Like the Big Red Boat and Carnival cruises, someone would need to *pay me a lot of money* to even consider one of these packages or to consider dealing with their "travel agents."

Stay classy, Hyatt.
Ever since Hoplamazian took over, Hyatt's been making one poor decision after another IMO.
Changed the loyalty program including coming up with dorky names for each level.
Acquired Miraval. Three hoity toity resort spas that seem like a bad fit with Hyatt.
Several other acquisitions that are mostly lower end.
The only addition I think fits well is SLH, and even that doesn't work well because we don't get the Hyatt program benefits while staying there.
Now this.

Fire Hoplamazian and get back to growing Hyatt core hotels.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Stay classy, Hyatt.

You think “CheapCaribbean, a Hyatt Experience” doesn’t work?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Focus on core brand expansion

I agree with those views that Hyatt should focus on core brand expansion and acquiring properties or hotel management companies with similar core brand hotel properties.

Establishing core Hyatt Branding and consistency within the Hyatt portfolio brands would be preferred…… however I am just commenting from afar as a customer not as someone who knows hospitality management.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 16, 2021 at 12:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.