Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Super-annoying survey invitations from Medallia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super-annoying survey invitations from Medallia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
And if you had responded, you would have received a personal response from a member of senior management thanking you for your comments and highlighting any particularly positive or negative comments you made.
Yeah, this is marketing. Medallia has found from empirical studies that this management follow-up drives repeat business from the customer regardless of your feedback being positive or negative. Additionally, in some cases it is supposed to steer people towards writing a positive review on Tripadvisor or Google.

It's rather odd to so harshly criticize something without even being familiar with what it really is and how it works.
I think you are being apologetic for Hyatt instead of being objective.

I object to receiving post-stay promotional emails which is what this ultimately is. For the record, in my Hyatt profile/preferences, I have opted out of receiving promotional email messages.

In these survey emails, there is also a reference to an opt-out: "If you are not interested in participating in future customer satisfaction surveys, please click this link to unsubscribe." I have followed that link, but so far it hasn't stopped the emails globally.

While I find these annoying, I am capable of creating a filter in my email account to discard these messages. Still, I'd rather prefer a fully-functional opt-out as filters can sometimes have unintended consequences, as I wrote in a previous comment.

---

From the outset, I have said I'm curious to find out what people get out of this process. But I think that is to be taken independently from my personal preference not to receive communications from Hyatt's marketing department.

Last edited by FlyerTalker324193; Apr 29, 2021 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 8mh
Yeah, this is marketing.
If you define any and all customer engagement as "marketing," then yes, but not all marketing is objectionable. This is the kind that most of us welcome because it materially improves our experience as customers, both individually and in the aggregate.

I will add that in addition to the personal email from the GM at PH Zurich, which references an issue I had with the bathroom stopper being inoperative, I received a subsequent follow-up email from the FDM promising to upgrade me to Corner Suite on my next stay. Which they faithfully did, all the way from a View King, about a year later. That's the kind of customer engagement you're missing out on based on an utterly irrational objection to "marketing" emails.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

If you define any and all customer engagement as "marketing," then yes
First sentence of wikipedia entry on marketing: "Marketing refers to activities a company undertakes to promote the buying or selling of a product, service, or good."

This is what this is. Follow-ups with the customers increase the likelihood of the customer giving you repeat business, irrespective of whether you use the feedback to improve the product or not.

but not all marketing is objectionable. This is the kind that most of us welcome because it materially improves our experience as customers, both individually and in the aggregate.

That's the kind of customer engagement you're missing out on based on an utterly irrational objection to "marketing" emails.
This is nonsense. You are criticizing my preferences, what I like. Or explain me how my behavior is inconsistent with my preferences. Only than it would be justifiable you denouncing me as being "utterly irrational."
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 8mh
Follow-ups with the customers increase the likelihood of the customer giving you repeat business, irrespective of whether you use the feedback to improve the product or not.
Why would I not want to give more business to a company that genuinely listens to my feedback, reaches out to me, and offers me valuable incentives to return. You call that "marketing" I call it excellent customer service driving loyalty.

By contrast, sounds like you might be more satisfied with Marriott, where they've stopped sending surveys to elites, don't listent to feedback, and don't care how poorly their guests may be treated :-)
Originally Posted by 8mh
This is nonsense. You are criticizing my preferences, what I like. Or explain me how my behavior is inconsistent with my preferences. Only than it would be justifiable you denouncing me as being "utterly irrational."
Got it. I'm not being "objective" whereas you're just expressing your "preferences" and any commentary on that is "nonsene."
Old Apr 29, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 8mh
First sentence of wikipedia entry on marketing: "Marketing refers to activities a company undertakes to promote the buying or selling of a product, service, or good."

This is what this is. Follow-ups with the customers increase the likelihood of the customer giving you repeat business, irrespective of whether you use the feedback to improve the product or not.
By that logic you can say pretty much anything and everything is marketing!
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:58 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I can hardly wait to get a survey from Hyatt. I provide genuine constructive feedback and always get a personal e-mail in case of anything negative. As Kacee also mentioned from PH Zurich. As a returning guest Hyatt is extremely interested in getting genuine feedback. On a recent stay I was invited for drinks by the management to further discuss a really tiny tiny issue. They listen. I posted in the PH ZRH thread. And yes, give them the business they deserve, why not. This has nothing to do with gathering marketing data.

that is „Feel The Hyatt Touch“ as their slogan used to be in the 90s or so. It is still there.
CIT85 and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:18 pm

Why would I not want to give more business to a company that genuinely listens to my feedback, reaches out to me, and offers me valuable incentives to return. You call that "marketing" I call it excellent customer service driving loyalty.
Couldn't agree more. I usually respond to the Hyatt surveys precisely because I think the feedback can have a positive impact on overall service. I provide both positive and negative feedback and almost universally receive a personalized response from the property manager.

When I provide positive feedback for service, I name names. On several occasions, during future visits I have had individuals thank me for the recognition. I can't help but believe this improves the property's overall service experience for all guests.
nsx, CIT85, EuropeanPete and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Add me to the group of folks who find the Hyatt surveys useful. I definitely can't say that for 99% of the surveys that end up in my inbox, from hospitality/travel companies or otherwise. I am pretty confident that most of those end up in a void where nothing meaningful happens.

I started responding to the surveys last year and on most occasions I've received a substantive, personal email from a member of the management team. On multiple occasions on return visits to certain properties I have seen positive changes that were a direct result of my survey responses and subsequent interaction with management.

How this could be looked at as anything other than positive is beyond me. They are (generally) taking customer service seriously and often improving product/experience as a direct result of these surveys. Ignoring the (three?) emails you get...isn't hard. I ignore 95% of what ends up in my personal inbox these days. I actively look forward to the Hyatt surveys because I know they have an impact, at least at the properties I stay at.
SanDiego1K, pWei, CIT85 and 4 others like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
This reminds me of the time when I received a call during my stay at HR Etoile in Paris asking me how my stay was (during renovations). I provided some comments about the RC closure and substitution. Next day I received a message from hotel GM's assistant asking me if I were available to meet with the GM for a drink. Mr. Morauw (who was also the Hyatt France Region VP) and I had a great conversation and I provided comments about what I liked. Day after I checked out, I received an email from Mr. Morauw's assistant with a voucher for 3 nights at HR Etoile in a Suite! I returned to the hotel that summer with my wife and friends for 5 nights (I paid for 2 extra nights and suite was extended to the additional 2 nights) and my Suite turned out to be the Loft Suite (highest level suite at the hotel) with view towards Sacre Couer. I booked our friends' room and applied a DSU, and that was upgraded to a corner Executive Suite with view towards Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower. We watched Bastille Day fireworks from our friends' suite. Best hotel stay experience for my friends.

I have returned to the HR Etoile every time when I'm in Paris ever since. I haven't contacted Mr. Morauw on my subsequent stays since I didn't want to bother him.
Old May 2, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CIT85
This reminds me of the time when I received a call during my stay at HR Etoile in Paris asking me how my stay was (during renovations). I provided some comments about the RC closure and substitution. Next day I received a message from hotel GM's assistant asking me if I were available to meet with the GM for a drink. Mr. Morauw (who was also the Hyatt France Region VP) and I had a great conversation and I provided comments about what I liked. Day after I checked out, I received an email from Mr. Morauw's assistant with a voucher for 3 nights at HR Etoile in a Suite! I returned to the hotel that summer with my wife and friends for 5 nights (I paid for 2 extra nights and suite was extended to the additional 2 nights) and my Suite turned out to be the Loft Suite (highest level suite at the hotel) with view towards Sacre Couer. I booked our friends' room and applied a DSU, and that was upgraded to a corner Executive Suite with view towards Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower. We watched Bastille Day fireworks from our friends' suite. Best hotel stay experience for my friends.

I have returned to the HR Etoile every time when I'm in Paris ever since. I haven't contacted Mr. Morauw on my subsequent stays since I didn't want to bother him.
That honestly sounds amazing.

I always try to provide feedback when I’m sent a survey following a stay.

I feel like it’s letting the property management as well as Hyatt corporate know where they’re at from a guest’s perspective. They get a deeper insight compared to Google or other reviews of the property. This feedback can be invaluable to a GM as it shows where they’re excelling as well as what areas (if any) need improvement.

If you stay at the same hotel more than once in 90 days they usually won’t send you a 2nd survey. At times they can be bothersome, but overall I understand the intention and if it means things may improve (if needed) for future stays then I’m all for it.

An example of this would be Hyatt Centric Minneapolis -

Their parking they had us park across the street in a garage on the 5th floor. None of the elevators worked at all and we ended up having to all walk down the 5 floors through the ramp, which wasn’t very safe.

Upon check in the agent was not very nice to myself or my family, he basically was said “Name”, “Card”, here’s your room key. Whereas every Hyatt Centric we’ve been to the staff are very welcoming, very lively and actually make you feel positive about your stay. At checkout the female agent was very nice to our son, and my family she was happy, energetic and it made us want to come back.

After checking in we found an unopened condom on the floor in the bedroom and ramen noodles in the coffee maker which wasn’t exactly pleasant.

So when we received the survey we noted all this information and were contacted a day or two later by the GM. He had asked for more information and we were happy to provide it. Every subsequent stay there has been much better, he even advised us we’d be able to park directly in front of the entrance. They have 3 designated spaces there for hotel guests so that made it easier on future stays.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I also try to fill these surveys out, since like many others have mentioned, it's not unusual for someone from the hotel to reach out afterwards.

Only thing I find slightly tiresome are a few of the Covid-related questions that are somewhat awkwardly worded. (e.g. how did the hotel demonstrate care for my emotional well-being )
Old May 4, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by econ
I also try to fill these surveys out, since like many others have mentioned, it's not unusual for someone from the hotel to reach out afterwards.

Only thing I find slightly tiresome are a few of the Covid-related questions that are somewhat awkwardly worded. (e.g. how did the hotel demonstrate care for my emotional well-being )
Yeah, that’s the hard thing (or annoying thing) is the Covid Related questions.

- Compared to other businesses how did we do?

- How are our Covid procedures?

Ans so on...

I understand the intention but they can be bothersome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.