Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Super-annoying survey invitations from Medallia

Old Apr 28, 21, 2:16 pm
8mh
Original Poster

For each Hyatt stay, I get three questionnaires from Hyatt in conjunction with Medallia (some dubious "experience management" business). I guess you would get only one if you responded to the first email or only two if you responded to the second email.

<rant>I find this super-annoying. I'm not interested in spending time to promote Hyatt and that's one of the primary goals behind those mails.</rant> Do you guys feel the same or do you think you can somewhat move the needle in providing feedback?

The other, more practical question on my mind is the following: Can I opt out of these emails? For now, I configured a filter through my email service which auto-discards these messages based on the from: and subject: fields. But as you might know, such filters can sometimes delete messages you would actually want to see. So I'd prefer if I could just opt out of these surveys from the Hyatt side.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 28, 21, 2:27 pm

I only get one of these after every stay, even when I check the “can we ask you more questions” box. If I don't fill one in then I don't get further emails.

I’ve found them a useful mechanism for feedback in the past. I’ve had managers reach out to me based on my positive and negative feedback in the surveys. It’s nice because I can quickly comment on things that I otherwise wouldn’t be happy / frustrated enough about to go out of my way to flag during or after a stay.
pWei and TravelingChef like this.

Last edited by coleslaw; Apr 28, 21 at 2:36 pm
Old Apr 28, 21, 2:30 pm
8mh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
I only get one of these after every stay, even when I check the “can we ask you more questions” box.
I think I addressed that in the OP. You only get three if you're a non-responder to emails 1 & 2.
Old Apr 28, 21, 2:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I am quite sick of all requests for surveys in all aspects of life, this included. (though, not as annoying as a the text survey requests from my dentist. Why the freck does my dentist need survey data). Tell your email server to send them to the junk folder.
notquiteaff, strickerj and 8mh like this.
Old Apr 28, 21, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by 8mh View Post
I think I addressed that in the OP. You only get three if you're a non-responder to emails 1 & 2.
I should have clarified - I don't always fill them in, but I still only ever get 1.
8mh likes this.
Old Apr 28, 21, 2:38 pm
8mh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK View Post
I am quite sick of all requests for surveys in all aspects of life, this included. (though, not as annoying as a the text survey requests from my dentist. Why the freck does my dentist need survey data). Tell your email server to send them to the junk folder.
I am also allergic to marketing emails, particularly if it's not just a one-off but an entire battery as in the Hyatt-Medallia case.

I could have mentioned this in the OP, but there was a recent interview with a Medallia exec on a Skift webcast.
It seems part of the rationale behind it is that post-stay communication (especially if it is with hotel management) induces people to voice positive opinions on social media. To put it melodramatically: Hyatt and Medallia want you to take the time to put in a positive review with Tripadvisor or the like.
Old Apr 28, 21, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Iíve found them a useful mechanism for feedback in the past. Iíve had managers reach out to me based on my positive and negative feedback in the surveys. Itís nice because I can quickly comment on things that I otherwise wouldnít be happy / frustrated enough about to go out of my way to flag during or after a stay.
Yup. The Hyatt surveys, and in particular, the personalized follow-up from management at the subject property, are to me indicators of a company doing it right. Hyatt actually reads what we have to say about our stays, and they will usually follow-up if we report a problem.

I get lots of worthless survey invites from various companies which are really just disguised market research. I don't find it particularly bothersome to simply delete them.
59Impala likes this.
Old Apr 28, 21, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
I get an email from hotel manager if I register issues. I never hear back from UA after surveys.
TravelingChef and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 28, 21, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
I get an email from hotel manager if I register issues. I never hear back from UA after surveys.
I stopped responding to the UA surveys. After years of everything getting worse, it was clear they're not listening to me
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 28, 21, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I thi k the surveys are great. I know the properties rad them as often someone responds to me directly about them. Last 2 hotels I have stayed at followed up w me
Old Apr 28, 21, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
I thi k the surveys are great. I know the properties rad them as often someone responds to me directly about them. Last 2 hotels I have stayed at followed up w me

Wonder if someone read them if every guest responded

I am sick and tired of surveys after what seems to be every interaction with any business. Last week, I got an oil change. Three emails so far reminding me to provide feedback. And of course the thinly veiled request (when I picked up the car) that they need a five out of five and that I should address any concerns with the service manager outside the survey flow.

How’s your day been so far?
strickerj and 8mh like this.
Old Apr 29, 21, 6:19 am
8mh
Original Poster

I am starting to get the impression we are not all on the same page here. I am not talking about a single, personalized email sent from a manager at the property I just stayed at.

I am talking about automated emails. If you are non-responding, you get three. Those are titled something like "Your recent stay Hyatt XYZ--a 2 minute survey" (my own translation into English). The sender contains the terms "Hyatt" and "Medallia" (Medallia being a company Hyatt works with in marketing).

The survey asks you to rate on a scale from 0-10 the likelihood of you recommending the hotel to a friend or colleague. I assume if I clicked on a rating, it would open up the full survey in my web browser.

The email is always signed by Peter Fulton (Group President EMEA and Southwest Asia).

I get three emails after a stay in a Hyatt pretty much regardless of brand. Got them after a stay at the PH Zurich. Got them after a stay at an airport HP, too. Got them after staying at the HR Cologne. These emails aren't personalized, either. As the previous poster suggested, this is sort of like the generic email you get after an oil change. Doesn't feel very premium at all.
Old Apr 29, 21, 6:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
I think we are talking about the same thing, you're just not listening. Medallia isn't a marketing company, it focuses on creating closed loops between customers and management teams - hence the positive experiences and personal responses people have noted on this thread. Obviously if you don't respond, you won't be getting any personal responses
Old Apr 29, 21, 7:45 am

Got them after a stay at the PH Zurich.
And if you had responded, you would have received a personal response from a member of senior management thanking you for your comments and highlighting any particularly positive or negative comments you made. Example (from the GM):

Thank you very much for having taken the time to complete our Guest Questionnaire about your recent stay at Park Hyatt Zurich. Your feedback with regards to our staff and service is extremely important to us and allows us to continually monitor and improve our performance.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay overall, and we were able to meet your expectations. I look forward to share your kind feedback with the entire team.

However, your comment in regards to the bathtub in your recent guest room has caught my attention. Ő would like to sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Please rest assured that I will share your valuable feedback with our director of engineering to make sure that this is not going to happen again and initiate improvements immediately.

Furthermore, I would like to inform you that the management team of World of Hyatt will reach out to you in a separate email to learn more about your feedback concerning our loyalty program.

Our entire team is looking forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Zurich in hopefully not too distant future. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the meantime.

It's rather odd to so harshly criticize something without even being familiar with what it really is and how it works.
TravelingChef and 59Impala like this.
Old Apr 29, 21, 7:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List/CP, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
<rant>I find this super-annoying. I'm not interested in spending time to promote Hyatt and that's one of the primary goals behind those mails.</rant> Do you guys feel the same or do you think you can somewhat move the needle in providing feedback?
Yes, I do feel they 'move the needle', at some properties more than others no doubt.

I don't disagree with one perspective they are looking for you to promote them, the ones I've gotten you can always just do the relatively easy survey part and skip the leave a review part, and hotel management still sees your survey. Finally, I think one aspect you're overlooking is that if there is an employee you would like to get recognition for making your stay better/good/great/bad, this is a great way to do that, it matters more at some hotels than others of course.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: