Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ideas to help drive more discretionary stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat

With occupancy reported to be ~30% for FY2020 and any meaningful recovery in business travel still some years away, thought we can pool some ideas for Hyatt to help drive more discretionary stays during this period

The very generous bonus journeys promo that just ended did incentivize me to stay 21 nights in Q1 (only earned 14 EQNs due to booking Hyatt Prive 3rd night free rate) all at a single property Grand Hyatt Singapore... stays that I otherwise would not have made.

While the Q2 promo is reasonably attractive, I only made a couple of bookings so far and there isn't a huge motivation to do more than that. While promos certainly help, I think some tweaks to the loyalty program (could start out as temporary tweaks to be re-evaluated later) might incentivize even more bookings and on a more regular basis. Starting a wishlist below and hoping Hyatt might consider some of them

1. Elite qualifying nights for multiple rooms under the same booking perhaps limited to 3 like what Marriott used to offer. Personally think this one is a game changer and would encourage me to book way more staycations with family/friends.
2. Double/Triple points promo that temporarily count towards lifetime tier points.
3. Elite qualifying night credit for the free 3rd/4th night which do not count right now.
4. Day use 12 hour rates with more flexible check-in and check-out timings with dining discounts/promos. I would make use of this rate if they allow a more flexible check-in say from 7am to 10am and count 12 hours from time of checkin. For my location, weekday occupancy is way down and I think something like this would help.

Last edited by mechu; Mar 4, 2021 at 11:01 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I would like to see a promo like the Jan-Feb Bonus Journeys for all of 2021 for anyone who uploads proof of vaccination to WOH. Because vaccination makes your stay safer for everyone, and other customers benefit from having a higher percentage of vaccinated guests.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
(DELETED)

Last edited by Matt4200; Mar 5, 2021 at 4:22 pm
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I would like to see a promo like the Jan-Feb Bonus Journeys for all of 2021 for anyone who uploads proof of vaccination to WOH. Because vaccination makes your stay safer for everyone, and other customers benefit from having a higher percentage of vaccinated guests.
Unfortunately that promo would be sued out of existence. Discrimination against all sorts of people who can't be vaccinated for medical reasons, or simply because they live in a country without vaccines yet.

I'm all in favour of nudging people towards getting vaccinated when it's their turn, but a hotel promo is a particularly poor way of doing this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:49 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mechu
With occupancy reported to be ~30% for FY2020 and any meaningful recovery in business travel still some years away, thought we can pool some ideas for Hyatt to help drive more discretionary stays during this period
Hyatt disagrees with your premise. Mark Hoplamazian said on the quarterly earnings call a few weeks ago ...

"We believe the second half of 2021 will experience a more meaningful recovery of demand with leisure leading the way, but increasing strength in group business and business transient travel beginning to take hold."

and there are lots of details as to why they believe this.

I expect Hyatt to proceed very carefully with any new promos, particularly as they consider the effectiveness of their recent ones. I'm in favor of this approach, especially as we see the impact of all the newly-minted Globs, the increased number of cat 1-4 and 1-7 awards, and the piles of points created by the 3x/4x promos.
Often1 and 59Impala like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My wish list, even preCOVID-19, including having Hyatt give some base points credit toward lifetime Globalist for earned years of HGP Diamond and WOH Globalist.

I'd also like to see Hyatt give a bigger percentage of bonus points for elites, for example WOH Glob is 30% while Bonvoy Tit/AMB get 75%.

I'd also like to see the free parking for Globs on paid stays booked through a Hyatt channel continue, especially as more suburban properties are adding parking as a junk fee (just like resort and destination fees). In some locations, city hotels do something similar when they charge parking rates that are far above the market rate for that location. {For example $60 in downtown Minneapolis was only seen during the Super Bowl except for some particularly cheeky hotels.

I'd be very happy to see discounts for the vaccinated especially as some hotels refuse to enforce mask mandates for employees and guests. This is scaring me away from hotel stays in any state without a state-level mask mandate for everyone 2 y.o. and older.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 5, 2021 at 8:07 am
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:34 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
These types of threads often include some suggestions for making it easier to earn lifetime status. I've said it before, but I don't know why Hyatt would make any changes to the qualification requirements for LT status. They've had essentially the same criteria for more than 20 years, and they've already made it simpler by removing the 10 years as a Diam/Glob status requirement. I'd also argue it's easier to reach the 1000000 base point/$200K spend today, or at least in non-COVID times, than it was 20 years ago, simply because the average room rate is higher. What's in it for Hyatt to make attaining the status any easier ? How is it beneficial to Hyatt to have a larger population of LT Globs ?
Maui4me1 and 59Impala like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:48 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Unfortunately that promo would be sued out of existence. Discrimination against all sorts of people who can't be vaccinated for medical reasons, or simply because they live in a country without vaccines yet.

I'm all in favour of nudging people towards getting vaccinated when it's their turn, but a hotel promo is a particularly poor way of doing this.
If there is a subset of people who can't be vaccinated that constitutes a legally protected class, that would be news to me. Wouldn't any such subset be small enough to admit to the promotion manually?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
If there is a subset of people who can't be vaccinated that constitutes a legally protected class, that would be news to me. Wouldn't any such subset be small enough to admit to the promotion manually?
I agree that the vaccinated (or non-vaccinated) don't fall into any protected class...at least not in the United States.

That said, I think it would be idiotic for a major corporation to offer discounts to people who are vaccinated. Although it shouldn't be, the vaccine has been politicized. Any discount program would create a major controversy. (I don't subscribe to the notion that "any publicity is good publicity.")
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:15 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Hyatt open up some more room categories for award redemptions. i.e. King Bed Room vs High Floor King Bed Room .. lol .. the "high floor" is a premium product and thus not available for award redemption .. just something among those lines. Same issue with resort-like properties ... King Room vs Resort View King Room.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Absolutely anybody outside of the US, UK, UAE and Israel cannot really expect to be vaccinated at the moment. There are also any number of health conditions (MS is an example I'm aware of) where you definitely will not get a vaccine. I imagine that HIV might also be a no-go for vaccines. Is Hyatt going to get into the business of double-checking your HIV status to manually add you to a promo? Of course not...

I imagine that the US legal system offers little protection for non-Americans as a minority class, but a promo that excludes 90-95% of the world's population could easily be sued anywhere that Hyatt has a hotel.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by skj
These types of threads often include some suggestions for making it easier to earn lifetime status. I've said it before, but I don't know why Hyatt would make any changes to the qualification requirements for LT status. They've had essentially the same criteria for more than 20 years, and they've already made it simpler by removing the 10 years as a Diam/Glob status requirement. I'd also argue it's easier to reach the 1000000 base point/$200K spend today, or at least in non-COVID times, than it was 20 years ago, simply because the average room rate is higher. What's in it for Hyatt to make attaining the status any easier ? How is it beneficial to Hyatt to have a larger population of LT Globs ?
I wouldnt argue at all to lower LTG requirements at all or even to have a promo where the double or triple points count towards LTG Status.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:18 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by craigthemif

difficult topic... but I‘d like to emphasize on the „discrimination“ part and not get into the vaccination thing.

there is always some sort of discrimination, e.g. as a non US person, I do not get any EQN, additional points (like the 4x bonus at resorts when paying with the Hyatt CC) during the last promotion, because I have no chance of getting the Hyatt CC.
lautaro likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
difficult topic... but Id like to emphasize on the discrimination part and not get into the vaccination thing.

there is always some sort of discrimination, e.g. as a non US person, I do not get any EQN, additional points (like the 4x bonus at resorts when paying with the Hyatt CC) during the last promotion, because I have no chance of getting the Hyatt CC.
I realise you're using the term somewhat loosely, but I don't think you can consider the last part of your post as "discrimination" (even with the loose use of the term).
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:22 pm

Ideas for Promos for Q 2,3 or 4

1) Globalist Complimentary Parking on Paid Stays.

2) Tiered Points Rebate as follows -

Member - 5% or 10%

Discoverist - 10% or 15%

Explorist - 15% or 20%

Globalist - 20% or 25%

3) Double Points at all Hyatts, Triple Points at Resort Properties (Properties like Manchester Grand Hyatt, Grand Hyatt San Francisco etc. are included in this they are typically convention hotels and could use a huge pick up).

Q4 - Rollover Nights

I wouldnt recommend it for Q2/3 because thats just overdoing it. But it could ramp up travel in Q4 and lead to a good 2022.

Those are my thoughts, I dont think theyre overly generous theyre actually a bit conservative in Comparison to Q3/4/1 recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.