Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ideas to help drive more discretionary stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas to help drive more discretionary stays

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I think 30% status bonus for Globalists could reasonably be increased.

I would love some kind of rollover toward next year, or “stay 4, get the 5th free” awards, and/or something a bit more attractive for attaining 70, 80, 90... status nights. Maybe each 10 nights past 60 gets 15k or 20k points or 2 TSUs. With something like that, I could be incentivized to put a more CC spend on the Hyatt CC. As it is, wife and I will likely switch at some point this year.

How about a cat 4 night for every $15k you put on the CC, without limit? Seems like with hotels substantially empty that would not break the bank.

And of course a higher-end CC, something like the Hilton Aspire or Bonvoy Brilliant.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I think 30% status bonus for Globalists could reasonably be increased.

I would love some kind of rollover toward next year, or “stay 4, get the 5th free” awards, and/or something a bit more attractive for attaining 70, 80, 90... status nights. Maybe each 10 nights past 60 gets 15k or 20k points or 2 TSUs. With something like that, I could be incentivized to put a more CC spend on the Hyatt CC. As it is, wife and I will likely switch at some point this year.

How about a cat 4 night for every $15k you put on the CC, without limit? Seems like with hotels substantially empty that would not break the bank.

And of course a higher-end CC, something like the Hilton Aspire or Bonvoy Brilliant.
I agree an extra 1.5 points per dollar spent (30% Globalist Bonus) is pretty small as other chains offer 80-100% to top Elite Status Holders.

Making it 40% or 2 points per dollar spent I don’t think would be the worst thing.

But I definitely wouldn’t do it (if I was Hyatt) until after 2022 due to the new number of Glob Lites.

70-100 Milestones could be made more attractive too. 10k points is pretty small.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's going to depend on the sector, e.g. downtown business hotels vs. resorts.

Once people can travel, there is a lot of pent up demand and I think that Hyatt and others are expecting some good quarters even though commercial air travel itself may not rebound until 2024.

Cruise lines are already marketing vax-only passengers and I expect that to become pervasive, e.g. hotels, restaurants, Uber and so on, as soon as someone can devise a simple and reliable vax passport.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

How much of that is driven by Chase vs Hyatt though?

EG I’m sure Hyatt would be more than willing to sell Chase more Cat 1-4 awards... If a Chase were willing to pay and if they thought it would help their business.

Same for the higher-end CC - most of the “product” is being fronted by Chase. Hyatt put their name on it and sell points and awards to Chase (and have an incentive to get more people to hold and use the card), but Chase “owns” the product.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
All of These

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My wish list, even preCOVID-19, including having Hyatt give some base points credit toward lifetime Globalist for earned years of HGP Diamond and WOH Globalist.

I'd also like to see Hyatt give a bigger percentage of bonus points for elites, for example WOH Glob is 30% while Bonvoy Tit/AMB get 75%.

I'd also like to see the free parking for Globs on paid stays booked through a Hyatt channel continue, especially as more suburban properties are adding parking as a junk fee (just like resort and destination fees). In some locations, city hotels do something similar when they charge parking rates that are far above the market rate for that location. {For example $60 in downtown Minneapolis was only seen during the Super Bowl except for some particularly cheeky hotels.

I'd be very happy to see discounts for the vaccinated especially as some hotels refuse to enforce mask mandates for employees and guests. This is scaring me away from hotel stays in any state without a state-level mask mandate for everyone 2 y.o. and older.
Especially the first. Enough years of bottom in the bed should go way farther for lifetime status than it does with Hyatt. Certainly made me push more stays to Marriott. Paying off for both of us now that I am in career twilight.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
How much of that is driven by Chase vs Hyatt though?

EG I’m sure Hyatt would be more than willing to sell Chase more Cat 1-4 awards... If a Chase were willing to pay and if they thought it would help their business.

Same for the higher-end CC - most of the “product” is being fronted by Chase. Hyatt put their name on it and sell points and awards to Chase (and have an incentive to get more people to hold and use the card), but Chase “owns” the product.
Hyatt and Chase have been trying to market and design a more luxury card for a couple years.

Some perks would be -

Airline Lounge Access

Increased Points

Better Status - Explorist

Annual Cat 1-7 Cert

Possibly Annual TSU’s

Not sure what else but I think it was $450-$795 Annual Fee
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Hyatt and Chase have been trying to market and design a more luxury card for a couple years.

Some perks would be -

Airline Lounge Access

Increased Points

Better Status - Explorist

Annual Cat 1-7 Cert

Possibly Annual TSU’s

Not sure what else but I think it was $450-$795 Annual Fee
TBH that seems pretty weak for a $5-800 range annual fee card. At least with an Aspire you get Diamond status and some decent credits... I guess this type of card would maybe appeal to a non-Globalist who doesn’t have any other premium cards... but I’d guess anyone who’s not a Globalist (/not a Hyatt loyalist) and doesn’t have a premium card already is probably going to go for anCSR / AmEx Plat or one of the more rewarding hotel cards vs this offering (unless the other possible benefits were much more compelling).
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:13 pm

TBH that seems pretty weak for a $5-800 range annual fee card. At least with an Aspire you get Diamond status and some decent credits... I guess this type of card would maybe appeal to a non-Globalist who doesn’t have any other premium cards... but I’d guess anyone who’s not a Globalist (/not a Hyatt loyalist) and doesn’t have a premium card already is probably going to go for anCSR / AmEx Plat or one of the more rewarding hotel cards vs this offering (unless the other possible benefits were much more compelling).
The Cat 1-7 alone covers the AF lol I can easily get $500-$700 in value from that alone.

Buying 30k Points from Hyatt would cost I believe $720 (they sell them for 2.4 Cents per point).

Also that’s only the Benefits of the card, the sign up Bonus alone would be worth $1,000 minimum.

I definitely wouldn’t put Hilton Diamond or Mariott Ambassador even close to the same as Globalist. I am a Hilton Diamond and I’ll only stay 5-10 nights this year, that’s how bad it is.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
To drive more spending, I'd like

1)More PHs, Alila. Hyatt should make some big acquisitions. As much as I love Hyatt, the footprint... Marriott has 50 properties in Shanghai alone. Lack of properties esp at high end is biggest block for me staying more often. It's hard to requalify for Globalist even in normal times
​​
2) 75% bonus for Globalists on spending. I have to give credit to Marriott on how easy it is to earn points as a Titanium. I'd also like to see the triple point on dining continue for Globalists forever (or maybe 30% discount on dining as Marriott does IN China).

3) Luxury credit card that earns more than CSR. I only use CSR to transfer to Hyatt. Give me a compelling reason to use a Hyatt branded credit card

4) Specialty suite TSU for 125 nights. That'd be a compelling reason to stay more if I wasn't organically going to hit 125

5) multi room credit for nights. I'd book a separate room now for little one who is not that little anymore but keep him in same room as I don't get night credit and they'll extend often free breakfast if in same room

6) potential upgrades for Globalists if available to a specialty suite when paying for a standard suite. I only pay for cheapest room. But I'd pay for a standard suite if that meant real possibility of upgrade to a speciality

These changes would get me to spend more. Hyatt wins, I win.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:21 pm

The Cat 1-7 alone covers the AF lol I can easily get $500-$700 in value from that alone.

Buying 30k Points from Hyatt would cost I believe $720 (they sell them for 2.4 Cents per point).

Also that’s only the Benefits of the card, the sign up Bonus alone would be worth $1,000 minimum.

I definitely wouldn’t put Hilton Diamond or Mariott Ambassador even close to the same as Globalist. I am a Hilton Diamond and I’ll only stay 5-10 nights this year, that’s how bad it is.
Valuations are personal, but for me I wouldn’t place $500+ of value on a Cat 1-7 award. Sure, I use my Cat 1-7s to book $500+++ rooms, but they’re rooms I otherwise wouldn’t book so I therefore wouldn’t value the award in that range. I’d use a value of $0.015 to $0.018 for a Hyatt point. You then also need to factor in the expiration date of the award plus the fact that you need to use it on a single Cat 7 night to get max value.

Sign up bonuses I also don’t factor into a cards longevity in my wallet (/drawer) since they’re a one off. Sure, they’ll definitely help me justify signing up for the card, but zero motivation to then keep it after the first year.

And yes, agreed Globalist isn’t in the same league as Diamond. My point was more that with an Aspire card (and Diamond status) you get FAR more benefits than you would as an Explorist. Globalist blows Diamond out of the water... but there’s a HUGE gap between Explorist benefits (if that’s what you get from the CC) and Globalist benefits.

Last edited by coleslaw; Mar 5, 2021 at 6:42 pm
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:40 pm

And more within the topic of the thread:
  • Milestone rewards beyond 100 nights. Maybe more every 10 nights after 100... but give us *something*. Right now, at ~170 nights, mainly at properties in the $150+ a night range, I have less motivation to put incremental spend Hyatt’s way vs other alternatives compared to when I was at, say, 70 nights. Each night I stayed from 60-100 was effectively an extra 1000 points (or 1/10th of a TSU).
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:25 pm

Valuations are personal, but for me I wouldn’t place $500+ of value on a Cat 1-7 award. Sure, I use my Cat 1-7s to book $500+++ rooms, but they’re rooms I otherwise wouldn’t book so I therefore wouldn’t value the award in that range. I’d use a value of $0.015 to $0.018 for a Hyatt point. You then also need to factor in the expiration date of the award plus the fact that you need to use it on a single Cat 7 night to get max value.

Sign up bonuses I also don’t factor into a cards longevity in my wallet (/drawer) since they’re a one off. Sure, they’ll definitely help me justify signing up for the card, but zero motivation to then keep it after the first year.

And yes, agreed Globalist isn’t in the same league as Diamond. My point was more that with an Aspire card (and Diamond status) you get FAR more benefits than you would as an Explorist. Globalist blows Diamond out of the water... but there’s a HUGE gap between Explorist benefits (if that’s what you get from the CC) and Globalist benefits.
And more within the topic of the thread:
  • Milestone rewards beyond 100 nights. Maybe more every 10 nights after 100... but give us *something*. Right now, at ~170 nights, mainly at properties in the $150+ a night range, I have less motivation to put incremental spend Hyatt’s way vs other alternatives compared to when I was at, say, 70 nights. Each night I stayed from 60-100 was effectively an extra 1000 points (or 1/10th of a TSU).
I just don’t see Hyatt giving away Globalist based on a card, that’s something that’s always separated them from the heard and made Globalist special.

I’d value a Cat 1-7 at $500 easily personally and this is coming from someone who mainly stays at low end properties lol.

I think the 100 Night Milestone should be something special though more than 70-90. Maybe 20k points or a Premium TSU. 100 is a great number it should be appreciated.
59Impala likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:29 pm

I just don’t see Hyatt giving away Globalist based on a card, that’s something that’s always separated them from the heard and made Globalist special.

I’d value a Cat 1-7 at $500 easily personally and this is coming from someone who mainly stays at low end properties lol.

I think the 100 Night Milestone should be something special though more than 70-90. Maybe 20k points or a Premium TSU. 100 is a great number it should be appreciated.
Yes, I’m not suggesting they would or should give Globalist just for holding a card. I was just pointing out that giving Explorist for a “high end” card isn’t competitive with similar high end cards, like the Aspire, where you get breakfast, lounge access, etc.

Agreed that 100 should really be something more noteworthy. It’s actually a little bittersweet getting to 100, knowing it’s the last milestone you’ll get for the year and puts a bit of a downer on things when really it should be encouraging you to plan even more Hyatt stays!
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:42 pm

Don't really think any ideas are needed. I think if they ever let people go back to living their lives like normal, it will return. I know the only thing stopping me from staying at Hyatt or traveling at all are restrictions. Pretty sure the bulk of it at this stage is that. No promo or such is going to overcome the inability to travel, restrictions, hassles, etc that are in the way currently.
59Impala likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:53 pm

Yes, I’m not suggesting they would or should give Globalist just for holding a card. I was just pointing out that giving Explorist for a “high end” card isn’t competitive with similar high end cards, like the Aspire, where you get breakfast, lounge access, etc.

Agreed that 100 should really be something more noteworthy. It’s actually a little bittersweet getting to 100, knowing it’s the last milestone you’ll get for the year and puts a bit of a downer on things when really it should be encouraging you to plan even more Hyatt stays!
I agree to a point. Their $95 card comes with Discoverist, Meanwhile Hilton’s $95 Card comes with Gold. Say Hyatt did make a Premium Card $495 with Explorist vs Hilton $495 with Diamond both one level up from the $95 versions.

I’d actually say Hilton Diamond is much more comparable to Explorist than it is to Globalist.

As far as earning 100 Nights it should definitely have some big perk, something to actually make people want to hit 100. It just seems like momentum really drops off at 60 and they’re like Congrats you hit 60!

Hopefully in time they rethink this Milestone at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.