Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco Downtown SOMA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency San Francisco Downtown SOMA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I was there this week and got upgraded to a King Suite which was really nice. Resort fees and breakfast were removed correctly the first time.

The breakfast buffet was very good and I didn't get tired of it after three nights.

I did have to chuckle that when on the treadmill you are overlooking the four seasons.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Gold, National EE
Not a whole lot to add other than the hotel location and refurb are great. Early check in and out were honored (I’m currently an Explorist through a status challenge). Looks like they’re upgrading a lot of members to the club floor even with the club closed, so I asked them to remove the destination fee, which they obliged with no issues.

We came back from drinks and dinner to the room smelling like weed, and the air conditioner wasn’t working, so I went down to the front desk and asked if they could move us to another queen room, which they did immediately. It was very nice of them since it was 11 pm, and all we wanted to do was sleep. I’d stay here again—it seems nicer than a lot of the cookie cutter Marriotts and bland Hiltons around the city.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:45 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Stayed here and got an upgrade to a King suite, which was nice to have. A bit oddly laid out (there’s only a tiny closet, and a random rack left in the room to provide more space to hang clothes), but very spacious, and perhaps thanks to having the extra door between the bed and the hallway didn’t have any issues with noise.

Buffet breakfast is excellent for a US property IMO — all the usual things plus some more creative/unique dishes like oxtail eggs, quiche, and crepes Suzette. They are charging $39 for it if you don’t have it included, which does still seem steep even if the quality is good.

Gym is also excellent, spacious and with a very wide range of weight and resistance equipment including a full standard squat rack and dumbbell up to 80lbs.

The hotel has been extremely busy, which is a bit surprising, but rates have been low so that may have something to do with it. However even still haven’t had any unusually long waits for elevators or any other hassles.

I stayed here once back when it was a Westin and don’t remember much other than that we got one of the strange triangular rooms, which appear to still be available based on the floor plan.

IIRC this hotel was one of the first, possibly THE first city hotel to do the “destination fee” game, annoying to see they are still doing it but at least I believe I should have it waived as a globalist, something that wasn’t possible back when it was an SPG/Bonvoy property.
ETA: One sour note after a good stay...the hotel did remove the destination fee, but only manually after I asked, it was not removed automatically (and the agent was fine to go all the way through "you're all set, you're checked out" without looking at it until I asked, and indeed without confirming the bill details or anything else, I only knew because I had looked at my room charges in the Hyatt app). Not sure if it was an error/oversight or if they're trying to play games and force eligible guests to ask to have it removed, but given this hotel's history I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter.

Last edited by bgriff; Sep 12, 2022 at 7:05 am
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:24 am

Just read through the last few posts here but wanted an update, deciding on late minute award stay between GH and here:
Is the club open?
What's the breakfast situation?
I saw someone mentioned above parking isn't free on award stays for Globalists, is this accurate?
Probably will not get a suite upgrade at either since it looks like occupancy is pretty high for the rest of this week.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Just read through the last few posts here but wanted an update, deciding on late minute award stay between GH and here:
Is the club open?
What's the breakfast situation?
I saw someone mentioned above parking isn't free on award stays for Globalists, is this accurate?
Probably will not get a suite upgrade at either since it looks like occupancy is pretty high for the rest of this week.
I just arrived today, and it looks like breakfast is still the restaurant buffet vs. the club. I wasn't told anything about a club, so I doubt it is open.

What I will say, though, is that in my first hour, I am quite impressed, especially with the room design - let's see how the stay holds up - I'll report back tomorrow.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I just arrived today, and it looks like breakfast is still the restaurant buffet vs. the club. I wasn't told anything about a club, so I doubt it is open.

What I will say, though, is that in my first hour, I am quite impressed, especially with the room design - let's see how the stay holds up - I'll report back tomorrow.
Disregard what I just said - the manager called me to tell me that the club will be opening for its first day tomorrow with a soft evening opening tonight. Sitting here now - some charcuterie, quiches, and candies. Kind of sad that I won't get the buffet in the morning.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Kind of sad that I won't get the buffet in the morning.
At the hotel restaurant?

David
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by DELee
At the hotel restaurant?

David
Yep, though, I'll find out in 31 minutes...my gut tells me the club selection will be limited.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:58 am

Yep, though, I'll find out in 31 minutes...my gut tells me the club selection will be limited.
So, I was wrong again - seating is in the Regency Club, but you get the food from the restaurant buffet located outside of the club door. Not sure if this is temporary, but there isn't much space in the club to actually put food down.

Trip report coming later today...
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I was wrong again - seating is in the Regency Club, but you get the food from the restaurant buffet located outside of the club door. Not sure if this is temporary, but there isn't much space in the club to actually put food down.

Trip report coming later today...
We'll call these "The Hunger Pics".

David
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:05 pm

Well, I figured out I'm bad at making assumptions in real time - glad I didn't try out journalism for my career. In the end, I was highly impressed with the HR SOMA, and I think this might be my favorite HR so far. Here are the pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded the morning of arrival to a "Premium One-Bedroom Suite" - great showing on upgrades from the property
  • Suite design was overall very attractive - loved the trees
  • Great views from the 31st floor facing the water, the STR, and the Salesforce Tower
  • Bed was very comfortable - a HR with decently thick covers!!!!! Mattress was highly plush, as well.
  • Couch in living room was quite comfy, too.
  • Shower pressure was pretty good and surprisingly didn't get the floor too wet (half-glass is still stupid)
  • Regency Club (opened yesterday for the first day) had eager-to-please staff and is located adjacent to the buffet area on the first floor - evening and breakfast service
  • Regency Club breakfast is just the normal buffet with a nice server who brings you silverware and drinks - I hope this lasts - food was all quite tasty, especially the bacon and liege waffles (after they were dipped in coffee)
  • I noticed the aforementioned unique breakfast choices were still there
  • No issue with 4 PM late checkout
  • Staff was all friendly and eager to please
  • Used my $15 destination fee Market coupon on some desserts - no check to sign - asked to remove destination fee at checkout - still haven't received folio
Cons:
  • Elevators were pretty busy - not sure all of them were working
  • That weird coat rack is super ugly and out of place
Overall, I would highly recommend the SOMA HR.

Photos:

kevino, dpb132, DELee and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cons:
  • That weird coat rack is super ugly and out of place

Photos:
This thing? Doesn't look useful for anything.

David
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
This thing? Doesn't look useful for anything.

David
I actually hung up my coat on it - made the rack look much better, despite the low degree of fashion in my coat.

"The worse the rack, the better-looking the clothes" - is that a saying?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually hung up my coat on it - made the rack look much better, despite the low degree of fashion in my coat.

"The worse the rack, the better-looking the clothes" - is that a saying?
Better than going up to the front desk and saying: "That's a nice rack".

David
Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:06 pm

Took several calls to get a folio emailed (eventually got it from the Concierge Line as the hotel kept transferring me to Central Reservations), but the destination fee did get manually taken off (could see the adjustment).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.