Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco Downtown SOMA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

I’ve been looking and staying in San Francisco for awhile and never once seen this property listed.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Interesting. Looks like it’s been a lot
of different brands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park..._San_Francisco
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SF1K
Interesting. Looks like it’s been a lot
of different brands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park..._San_Francisco
Definitely very interesting, looks like most recently it was a Westin.

I’m seeing it bookable in January.

I’m wondering though why Hyatt would want another property in a city/area Saturated with Hyatt Properties already. Currently Hyatt.com is showing it under the “Hyatt” brand which I think is definitely an interesting choice by Hyatt. Not exactly a good time to introduce it as a New Property as good levels of travel won’t return to San Francisco until at minimum 2022.

Any advantages to this over HR or GH nearby?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I'm glad to see Hyatt pull a property over from Marriott. I wonder if, the same way as the Parker New York was slotted under the Hyatt brand as a placeholder until it fully transitions to a Thompson, it's temporarily branded as a Hyatt while other plans are finalized for it? Perhaps they'll also turn it into a Thompson and increase the brand's footprint in California/North America [the only part of the world where this brand seems to live.]?

khabah
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by khabah
I'm glad to see Hyatt pull a property over from Marriott. I wonder if, the same way as the Parker New York was slotted under the Hyatt brand as a placeholder until it fully transitions to a Thompson, it's temporarily branded as a Hyatt while other plans are finalized for it? Perhaps they'll also turn it into a Thompson and increase the brand's footprint in California/North America [the only part of the world where this brand seems to live.]?

khabah
I definitely don’t think it will stay a “Hyatt” brand forever. I think it may change to Thompson, Unbound or another brand over time.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 9:12 am

Interesting. I wouldn't call a hyatt regency downtown and a grand hyatt and a centric in the two main tourist areas "saturated." But on the Park Central, the last i knew of it, the build out was 100% Westin, i.e. plain jane standard. Newer build so fresher than the regency or the grand but as of now would classify as another option, not a better option.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Maybe I can finally get my HYATT badge that way. Thought I'd get it in Shanghai (HOTB) but it ended posting as GH and customer service wouldn't budge fixing it.

This brand is really rare, the Capital Gate Abu Dhabi also changed to Andaz iirc.
flybyFIRE likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
This brand is really rare, the Capital Gate Abu Dhabi also changed to Andaz iirc.
Easiest way, in the US at least, if you are ever going to Chicago and want to do a cheap stay close to ORD
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Easiest way, in the US at least, if you are ever going to Chicago and want to do a cheap stay close to ORD
Never so that option is out. If cruising ever returns I might be able to swing a Seattle stay on the front/tail end of an Alaska cruise.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
During its SPG/Marriott era, this property had offered very little for its normal (relatively high) rates, not to mention ripoff "destination fees".

I had a stay there a few weeks ago, and I can't remember one thing about it other than my reservation email and billing statement.

Good luck.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Maybe I can finally get my HYATT badge that way. Thought I'd get it in Shanghai (HOTB) but it ended posting as GH and customer service wouldn't budge fixing it.

I’m afraid HOTB is a Grand Hyatt. Unofficially, Hyatt doesn’t operate more than one GH in a city so when HOTB was open, the “grand” name was not used, but it is still a de facto GH. The font of the logo is same as other GH.
236Dakota and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:41 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boolean64
Interesting. I wouldn't call a hyatt regency downtown and a grand hyatt and a centric in the two main tourist areas "saturated." But on the Park Central, the last i knew of it, the build out was 100% Westin, i.e. plain jane standard. Newer build so fresher than the regency or the grand but as of now would classify as another option, not a better option.
It's a better option for many if they are attending an event at Moscone as it's just 2 blocks away. The GH is over a half mile and the HR is about a mile away. The HC is about 2 miles away, but I liked staying there and "commuting" on the cable car when in town for something at Moscone.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well this place is notorious for its destination fees and after one stay I avoided them when they were still under Marriott Bonvoy. I don't think any other Marriott property played the show low price and screw them with fee's quite like Park Central.

The show price with all fees and taxes option on Bonvoy's site probably made their deception much harder. They were never the best value in town after you factored in all the fee's.
dw and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:19 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
During its SPG/Marriott era, this property had offered very little for its normal (relatively high) rates, not to mention ripoff "destination fees".

I had a stay there a few weeks ago, and I can't remember one thing about it other than my reservation email and billing statement.

Good luck.
This property will fit right in with the GH, HC, and HR when it comes to destination fees.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17

Good luck.
From the rates I’ve seen it’s priced lower than the HR and GH on average.

Originally Posted by boolean64
When searching San Francisco on Hyatt.com it shows 35 properties, which to me is Saturated.

Within the actual City (not Oakland or the outskirts like the airport or Emeryville) I am counting 9 properties.

HR SF
GH SF
Park Central SF
HC Fisherman’s Wharf
Hotel Del Sol
Galleria Park Hotel
Hotel Kabuki
HP SF Downtown
The Laurel Inn

Last edited by Matt4200; Dec 18, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.