Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco Downtown SOMA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency San Francisco Downtown SOMA REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I doubt you‘d get the Hyatt badge now that it is officially a Regency
I would assume so but I'd seen some discussion on here in the past about a hotel transitioning where people thought it should give the brand explorer credit before it officially changed but were told internally it was already the new brand, so it seems plausible that the reverse can happen too. As in, what it's billed as on Hyatt.com doesn't necessarily sync up exactly with how the system recognizes it for this purpose.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
What does the Globalist breakfast look like at this property right now?

Thoughts on this property vs the Grand Hyatt for a stay later this month?
soartoday and projectmaximus like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
What does the Globalist breakfast look like at this property right now?

Thoughts on this property vs the Grand Hyatt for a stay later this month?
I advise staying away from this hotel until they have their act in order. I just completed a 4-night stay that was quite underwhelming. To answer your question about breakfast, you receive a daily voucher which is valid for an entree, a side, and a drink from the "to go" pickup in lobby.

Room:
* Original room was the smallest U.S. Hyatt hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. Sparse furnishings (plain walls) and small room size resulted in eerie echo in the room.
* After a manager set up a different room, we noticed that the room had likely not been used or cleaned recently due to layer of dust on bathroom counter, nightstand, etc.

Hotel not ready:
* Room rates at this property were the highest out of Hyatt flagged hotels in SF during our stay ($30-60 more per night). However, this hotel appeared to be in “soft opening” status despite manager's denials.
* Only one guest elevator (out of 5) was operational during our stay. 2 or 3 of the service elevators were available for use, shared with service staff through back hallway. This resulted in significant waits going up and down from room, especially during peak times.
* There was no available Regency Club at a Hyatt Regency, despite club level rooms being advertised on the website.
* Phone tree option for front desk (option #4) does not work. It redirects back to the phone tree.
* Hyatt app is not hooked up for room requests, chat, etc.

Bathroom:
* Bathroom layout with shower is impractical. Water splashes to bathroom floor, and the “opening” in shower glass to turn on shower without getting wet requires climbing over toilet.
* When showering around 10pm, the shower was out of hot water for several minutes.
* No washcloths in the bathroom in both rooms we stayed in.
* Only one hook behind door in bathroom – not sufficient space to hang towels for more than one guest.

Front desk:
* Front desk agent told us we had an “upgraded” room when we checked in after I asked about the room type. Either this room is mis-categorized, or the front desk agent lied – the room was tiny, and the width was barely larger than the length of the bed.
* We did not receive breakfast vouchers (Globalist benefit) at check-in from front desk, nor any instructions for breakfast. When we charged breakfast to our room, we received a call telling us we need to use vouchers we hadn’t received.
* Front desk staff are asked to assist guests physically at front desk and answer phone calls. This resulted in significant strain for all guests – in person and on the phone. It’s both unprofessional and distracting to ask front desk staff to multi-task and results in poor guest experience.
* We noticed an errant dinner charge on our account (we never purchased dinner), so I called the front desk to resolve. The front desk tried to transfer me to the food service pickup rather than deal with the issue. When I insisted on receiving help, the front desk agent transferred me to a “manager” who never picked up the phone. Someone did call back after a while to resolve the incorrect charge.

Service:
* After I escalated issues to a manager, they seemed to take concerns seriously. However, he referred to me multiple times as (not my name in culturally insensitive way) despite having looked up the name on my account.
* Text to hotel number never received a reply.
* Requested item (yoga mat) from the “convenience” list, but the hotel did not have any available. We were told to get one for ourselves from the fitness center.
* Fitness center requires a separate keycard, and it needs to be re-activated every day. However, we were not told about this when first receiving the key, resulting in frustratingly needing to go up and down the limited number of elevators.
Kacee and projectmaximus like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by soartoday
I advise staying away from this hotel until they have their act in order.
Sounds like they shouldn't even be open yet. Finish the renovation and hire and train the staff first!
soartoday and projectmaximus like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:24 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
* Front desk agent told us we had an “upgraded” room when we checked in after I asked about the room type. Either this room is mis-categorized, or the front desk agent lied – the room was tiny, and the width was barely larger than the length of the bed.
From it’s Westin days, I know exactly the room you are referring to, and back then I received this room as an “upgrade” as well.

it’s a pseudo-wedged shaped room that is indeed fairly narrow and seems to have less furniture than the regular rooms. I believe the justification for its categorization ad a higher room category is because it has a long exterior wall that is mostly windows, and has a “view”.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by dw
From it’s Westin days, I know exactly the room you are referring to, and back then I received this room as an “upgrade” as well.

it’s a pseudo-wedged shaped room that is indeed fairly narrow and seems to have less furniture than the regular rooms. I believe the justification for its categorization ad a higher room category is because it has a long exterior wall that is mostly windows, and has a “view”.
Not sure if it's the same room type... ours was the XX22 room that was veeeeery narrow. Attaching photo of the foot of the bed and how close it is to the other wall. No idea how the Park Central sold it, but this cannot possibly be "upgraded?"
​​​​​

Original "upgraded" room where you can barely walk past the bed without hitting the wall mounted TV.

The room we moved to after one night with enough space for 2 people, our baggage, and workspaces. I think this might be marketed as "premier" according to the website photos.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No idea how the Park Central sold it, but this cannot possibly be "upgraded?"
​​​​
I've been given some awful rooms over the years that were pitched as "upgrades." Some front desk staff seem to be believe that if you tell a guest they've been upgraded, it doesn't matter that the actual room sucks. I assume it actually works with some percentage of guests.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 11:10 pm

I would second soartoday's opinion this place isn't ready and to stay away.

Admittedly the hotel was full from a major conference in town, but this was just awful. Long waits for elevators and a truly pathetic grab and go operation for breakfast. I would have preferred points. Both of those things I knew going in.

What I didn't expect is that all the surfaces in the new rooms are hard and synthetic. This meant all night I heard every single word from the room next door through the connecting door. From midnight to 4am. When they took away the carpet they didn't fill the gaps left in the doors due to the difference in floor height.
soartoday likes this.

Last edited by drnilescrane; Mar 25, 2022 at 11:18 pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:03 pm
She

Just completed a 4 night stay here and overall the stay wasn't bad and I would stay here again

- No wait to check in (we arrived late about 10pm)
- All 5 guest elevators were operational, no long waits
- Excellent location. Between the Grand Hyatt and other Hyatt Regency I think this one might be the best (most central to what we were doing this trip) location out of the 3
- There were 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids) and I wanted more space so I booked a Premium One Bedroom Suite. Great views from the 32nd floor. Layout of the bathroom was a bit strange but it was functional. The bedroom and living area provided ample space and seating.
- Grab and Go breakfast wasn't bad. Just plan ahead because there is about a 20-30 min wait from the time you call to when your order is ready for pick-up

Now for a few negative things
- Room advertised as having a queen sofa bed which it definitely did not have. Hyatt needs to update their website descriptions. They did provide a rollaway bed
- I called the day before arrival to request items be placed in my room before arrival since we'd be arriving late. Front desk said no, they won't do that before we check in as it would be a "waste of housekeeping's time if we no show". I have never heard that before, but maybe I am out of touch from not traveling much these last 2 years?
- On day 3 we came back to our room to find the rollaway bed had been removed. Called down to the front desk and was told "oh there must have been a mix up".
- There is some construction noise during the day. If you need a quiet environment to work/sleep, consider ear plugs or noise canceling headphones
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:37 pm
She

One more data point - I earned my Hyatt badge with this stay despite it being rebranded as a Hyatt Regency
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Currently booked at the Grand Hyatt in July but thinking about switching. Any thoughts if the Regency is better?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:04 am

Personally, I would not stay at any Hyatts in San Francisco at the moment except the Grand Hyatt at SFO. They are simply not up to their previous quality levels (yet).
dpb132 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by allseas1586
Currently booked at the Grand Hyatt in July but thinking about switching. Any thoughts if the Regency is better?
I have a longish stay this summer and had also been contemplating the two HRs or the GH. Based on research and feedback here on FT and elsewhere, my guess is that the HR Embarcadero is the best option for now and SOMA is the worst. But by July SOMA may have their act together so it's a fluid situation. Fwiw, I'm planning to stay at GH but have the Embarcadero as my backup option, reason being that my rate at the GH was incredible and the price differential compared to Embarcadero was about $600 total for the 8 nighs. GH lounge is also the only one opened.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
I have a longish stay this summer and had also been contemplating the two HRs or the GH. Based on research and feedback here on FT and elsewhere, my guess is that the HR Embarcadero is the best option for now and SOMA is the worst. But by July SOMA may have their act together so it's a fluid situation. Fwiw, I'm planning to stay at GH but have the Embarcadero as my backup option, reason being that my rate at the GH was incredible and the price differential compared to Embarcadero was about $600 total for the 8 nighs. GH lounge is also the only one opened.
I would have preferred Embarcadero but it’s over 2x the price of SOMA and GH. Sad the GH hasn’t kept up with the brand.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Alaska Hyatt
After a one night stay 4/23 I would definitely avoid this property.
no club
no free parking for Globalist award stays
late checkout denied for globalist
no voucher given for aforementioned shoddy breakfast.
no room upgrade even though I’m fairly sure there was availability.
very disappointed. Was happy to have another Hyatt option, but I would advise to stay at grand or embarcadaro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.